Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
If a peregrine and a prairie 'IN THE WILD bred the offspring are hybrids correct? If they are bred in captivity they are hybrids rights?
Right. But here is where things are interesting. Acording to current wording in the MBTA regulations, if a peregrine and a saker produced a hybrid in the wild (or in captivity I suppose as long it was outside US controlled turf) then it would NOT be a hybrid, even if said mongrel wandered over US terrirtory. And the way I read the comments submitted by the USFWS, this non-hybrid would also NOT be protected by MBTA regulations (it would be considered an excotic, just like a pure saker would)

But that same critter, produced by a propagator WOULD be a hybrid, and would be MBTA protected.

This is the mess the USFWS currently seeks to clear up. On that point I agree with them - the defining should be consistent, because to do otherwise is to make things very messy.

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
If a wild bred pergrine from say Casinni parentage on one side bred a pure bred Gyr it too is a hybrid right? Same if it was done in captivity right?
Didn't the Feds use Cassini in their re-introduction of pergrines? Shouldn't that make all pergrineoff spring in the US exotics?
Just sayin..
Well, the catch here is that the MBTA stops differentiating at the species level.

Peregrine falcons are MBTA protected - all of them. Even those subspecies that dont make it to the US.