Thread: new member from Colorado

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default new member from Colorado

I've been on the Internation Forum for a couple year's, decided to see if I could find more info from US falconers and here I am. Master Falconer, first hawk was a kestrel, then Redtail (released both to the wild)...then bought a fhh...still have her and she is 15 now and I decided to retire her since she hates the cold and at 15, can't blame her for not wanting to have her weight managed in Colorado, so she has a solar home and occasional flights on pigeons in an underground garage. I just trapped a redtail female over the weekend and want to hawk off the fist, by horseback. I played with that a little as an apprentice, but my Harris never did warm up to the horses. Looking forward to trying it again with the new redtail...I believe it's a she...based on weight, but the overlap in the genders doesn't guarantee it's a she!

Also fostered a kestrel this summer on my license, released him and he comes back regularly to visit!

Looking forward to getting tips and pointers on improving my hunting skills!
    thank you
    Tammy Bality
    Colorado

Hey Tammy,

Great to hear from you. Congratulations on the red-tail. I just acquired a mhh so lets go out hawking sometime!

Andy Hall

Welcome aboard and congrads on the Red-tail
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

Default introductions

Hi Andy!
    Congrats on the male Harris, was it Randy's hawk? I still have Cinnamon...she's retired now and seems to be happy with that idea. She's 15, I'll try to fly her in the underground at work when I can, but having a "blank slate" to work with by having a fresh caught hawk is great! (no baggage from previous owners/experiences).

The red tail is so easy to work so far with and hardly bates; coming to the fist from about 4 feet now...and I've not really cut her weight yet; just was letting her get used to me, the family, horses and making sure she is healthy before cutting the weight back.

Hopefully we will be ready to hunt in a couple weeks, I'm encouraged with the progress. So yeah, that would be fun!
    Tammy

Thank you Keith
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by tbality View Post
    I've been on the Internation Forum for a couple year's, decided to see if I could find more info from US falconers and here I am. Master Falconer, first hawk was a kestrel, then Redtail (released both to the wild)...then bought a fhh...still have her and she is 15 now and I decided to retire her since she hates the cold and at 15, can't blame her for not wanting to have her weight managed in Colorado, so she has a solar home and occasional flights on pigeons in an underground garage. I just trapped a redtail female over the weekend and want to hawk off the fist, by horseback. I played with that a little as an apprentice, but my Harris never did warm up to the horses. Looking forward to trying it again with the new redtail...I believe it's a she...based on weight, but the overlap in the genders doesn't guarantee it's a she!

Also fostered a kestrel this summer on my license, released him and he comes back regularly to visit!

Looking forward to getting tips and pointers on improving my hunting skills!
    thank you
    Tammy Bality
    Colorado
    Welcome to the neighborhood! Alabama by way of Co here. Hope you grace us with lots of pics!

Thread Information