Thread: FM800

Default FM800

Any updates on the availability of the FM800? Thanks.
    Tom Plefka
    "Opportunities are like cake.....you have to make them"

I would still buy the FM800, however did want to agree with a previous post on the HSL and law enforcement concerns. I too live in a suburan area. Have several friends who are in law enforcement, they tend to get calls for everything under the sun. If someone saw me waving my receiver in a field it could easily be viewed as a cross-bow from a distance or if someone saw you pointing it out a car window it could be mistaken. Perhaps for future consideration you could offer the option of a bright orange yagi? I work for a manufacturing facility so I know that sounds easier than actually done but just a thought. Also, from a marketing perspective a bright orange color would distinguish a Marshall receiver from others the in field (just my opinion).

Looks like the FM800 is going to be a hit regardless!
    Tom Plefka

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas913 View Post
    I would still buy the FM800, however did want to agree with a previous post on the HSL and law enforcement concerns. I too live in a suburan area. Have several friends who are in law enforcement, they tend to get calls for everything under the sun. If someone saw me waving my receiver in a field it could easily be viewed as a cross-bow from a distance or if someone saw you pointing it out a car window it could be mistaken. Perhaps for future consideration you could offer the option of a bright orange yagi? I work for a manufacturing facility so I know that sounds easier than actually done but just a thought. Also, from a marketing perspective a bright orange color would distinguish a Marshall receiver from others the in field (just my opinion).

Looks like the FM800 is going to be a hit regardless!
    If this is a really big concern wrap it with orange duct tape. I won't affect the performance though it may look a bit odd. If there is really a concern about being taken down by some itchy trigger fingered law enforcement dude then an ugly tape wrapped receiver is better than the alternative.

On the other hand your widow may with the settlement she will get from the shooter's employer when the press figures out you were holding a radio receiver......
    Ron N1WT Vermont

LOL! Don't go giving my better half and ideas

I probably would wrap mine in some type of flourescent tape on the ends of the yagi. Some officers I know in my area get calls for kids playing paint ball, etc...they have no idea what to expect when they arrive. Any little bit I can do to help them I would do.
    Tom Plefka

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas913 View Post
    I probably would wrap mine in some type of flourescent tape on the ends of the yagi. Some officers I know in my area get calls for kids playing paint ball, etc...they have no idea what to expect when they arrive. Any little bit I can do to help them I would do.
    Actually that is not such a bad idea. Instead of using tape which will eventually get all gummy and peel off why not use some bright colored
    heat shrink tubing. Be careful though because an insulated antenna element acts differently than an uninsulated one which changes the tuning. The good thing though is that you can always cut the tubing off easily if it is a problem. I was kind of suggesting putting the colored tape on the body of the receiver.

I have never had someone mistake me for a gun toting thug but I did have someone call the police because they saw me in the park "doing strange stuff with a bird" and they were apparently a bit paranoid about miscreants that like children. (How killing crows in a park in any way suggests an unhealthy liking for children I am not sure) The cop looked up my plate and because my phone number is listed they just called me and asked what I was up to. The incident was ironed out politely within 5 minutes and the officer basically said that it was probably not a bad thing because now if someone puts a description of my truck into their computer it will link to his incident report and a potentially uncomfortable incident with the police could be avoided before it happens. Where am I going with this? If you are worried about this you may want to carry a list of the police dept telephone numbers (DON"T CALL 911) so that if you are involved in a telemetry search you can call and notify them that you will be doing some odd stuff like driving around slowly and pointing a gun shaped antenna all over the place. They will most likely be happy that you
    called because when they get a complaint they will know about it already and it makes them look good to the general public.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Hi Ron. Excellent suggestions...thanks for the ideas. In no way, shape or form am I suggesting Marshall should change how they make their products. This is just my individual decision which I will do when I get a FM800. We hunt a field that borders a busy road. Several times the police have received calls. If I am carrying the telemetry in the case strapped over my back - I would even put a piece of flourescent tape on the strap as well.

I don't mean to digress on this forum, these are just things I would do personally to help our law enforcement community out. I took a 10 week course on law enforcement and it opened my eyes to what men and women in law enforcement contend with. Where I live in a surburban area I think it would help, however this is just my opinion - not suggesting everyone else do this.

Take care and thanks again!
    Tom Plefka

Thread Information