Thread: Current falconry issues

Default Current falconry issues

This is for the AFC members on the forum.

Can someone let me know what the AFC is doing to help in the process of the reg adoption for the states?

I've only heard about the peregrine issue and have not heard any mention of the reg adoption. It would seem to me that it's much more important to have falconry first than to press issues such as peregrine take expansion. As the "other" organization representing falconers in the US, what is the AFC doing to aid that process?

Thanks.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    This is for the AFC members on the forum.

Can someone let me know what the AFC is doing to help in the process of the reg adoption for the states?

I've only heard about the peregrine issue and have not heard any mention of the reg adoption. It would seem to me that it's much more important to have falconry first than to press issues such as peregrine take expansion. As the "other" organization representing falconers in the US, what is the AFC doing to aid that process?

Thanks.

Hi Jeff:

I think many of the state clubs have taken the role of helping their state come on board with adopting the federal regs. Because of this we're seeing some very strong state clubs emerge.

I don't thnk the AFC is the other organization. It's just a group falconers taking on a few issues that could benefit all falconers in the U.S. I'm helping with the eagle issue.

I'll tell you what, why don't you join the AFC? What's stopping you? Give me a call one of these nights and we can talk.

If I may, I'd like to say that the feds turning over the administration of falconry to the states may not be as great a thing as everyone thought. The feds have kept all of the authority but are going to do very little work, if any.

Best,
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Dan:
    Thank you for the way you responded to Jeff’s question. As a member of both NAFA & the AFC, I find it disheartening anytime I come across any suggestions no matter how subtle, questioning the value and/or contribution to falconry of either of these organizations. I also appreciate that you recognized the state club contributions in your response.

As Dan has pointed out, the state clubs should be, and in most cases are, the primary movers when it comes to getting the new federal regulations enacted. However, what about states with only a handful of falconers and no state club? West Virginia, Vermont, Rhode Island, to name a few, with no organized club to spearhead the effort the burden falls on the shoulders of just a few individuals. Then there are states with many falconers and organized clubs, but for for various reasons, whether legislative, administrative, or budgetary, the effort to get the regulations changed is stalled, or worse not even initiated. These are the states that need assistance in moving forward.

By 2012 there will be 26 states up and running under the new regs which leaves just two years to get the other 23 states on board. I know from personal experience that it took three years to get the new regs through the system here in New Mexico. So, for the states where the process is foundering it could well be that come January 2014 - the deadline for compliance - some of these 23 states will lose falconry as a legal means of hunting. That plain and simple fact is reason enough for all of us to focus our attention on getting all of the states on board with the new regulations as soon as possible. Imagine having falconry illegal in a patchwork of states across the nation, not just the inconvenience of having to alter your travel plans to avoid transporting your hawk through that state, it provides more foothold to have falconry made illegal in other states, maybe yours....

This is the most important issue facing falconry today and should not be taken lightly by anyone who plans on flying birds in the future.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    Hi Jeff:

I don't thnk the AFC is the other organization. It's just a group falconers taking on a few issues that could benefit all falconers in the U.S. I'm helping with the eagle issue.

I'll tell you what, why don't you join the AFC? What's stopping you? Give me a call one of these nights and we can talk.

Best,
    Hi dan, thanks for the reply. I will give you a buzz one of these evenings. Any ideas if or what the afc is doing to aid in the regs adoption?

Cheers
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Since I know the AFC people are seeing some posts right now, figured i'd bump this one up for another try.
    Last edited by JRedig; 01-27-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    -Jeff

Jeff,
    What state, specifically, is having trouble with regs adoption? What help do they need? I think both NAFA and AFC have made a broad offer to any state needing help.
    Eric Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
    Jeff,
    What state, specifically, is having trouble with regs adoption? What help do they need? I think both NAFA and AFC have made a broad offer to any state needing help.
    Hi Eric, being that we are in the middle of the meat of the process here in MN, I'm not aware of other states and their struggles.

What I do know, is that our state organization is repeatedly contacted by NAFA asking what's going on and how they can help and I read about their assistance all over the web. I don't see the AFC offering any help. "They" are pursing the expansion of peregrine take when there's a serious risk some states may not even have falconry, it's getting down to the wire. Considering the three words that make up "AFC", that surprises me. It's an honest question on my part of why?

As a falconer in the US I keep thinking about joining the AFC, but when I see a circumstance like this, it's hard to want too. It just doesn't make sense to me, I was hoping someone from the organization would be willing to have a discussion about it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    -Jeff

Hi Eric, being that we are in the middle of the meat of the process here in MN, I'm not aware of other states and their struggles. "They" are pursing the expansion of peregrine take when there's a serious risk some states may not even have falconry, it's getting down to the wire.

As a falconer in the US I keep thinking about joining the AFC, but when I see a circumstance like this, it's hard to want too. It just doesn't make sense to me, I was hoping someone from the organization would be willing to have a discussion about it, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
    Well, I seriously doubt from your comments that you have any serious intentions of joining. that's fine, if you don't agree with the actions and missions then don't join, it may not be for you.

To the first part, again, what state? You keep suggesting a problem where one does not exist that I'm aware of. "some states may not even have falconry", which states?

I'm here from the organization, willing to have a discussion about it. How can I help you?
    Eric Edwards

By the way Jeff, my email address is ericedw1@gmail.com and my cell phone number is 863-221-9401, contact me any time, I'll help in any way I can.
    Eric Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    By 2012 there will be 26 states up and running under the new regs which leaves just two years to get the other 23 states on board. I know from personal experience that it took three years to get the new regs through the system here in New Mexico. So, for the states where the process is foundering it could well be that come January 2014 - the deadline for compliance - some of these 23 states will lose falconry as a legal means of hunting.

This is the most important issue facing falconry today and should not be taken lightly by anyone who plans on flying birds in the future.
    Indeed, Paul. Some of these states need legislative approval, and have legislatures that meet once every two years.
    Bridget

"We have met the enemy and he is us."
    Pogo Possum

Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
    To the first part, again, what state? You keep suggesting a problem where one does not exist that I'm aware of. "some states may not even have falconry", which states?

I'm here from the organization, willing to have a discussion about it. How can I help you?
    It's a simple question, what is the AFC doing to aid in reg adoption? Is there any outward reach to states to ensure they don't need help? As a national organization that is so outgoing on the behalf of falconers, I would think this should be the top priority. It's my curiosity if this is the case, that's all.

Paul's post sums it up really well:
    By 2012 there will be 26 states up and running under the new regs which leaves just two years to get the other 23 states on board. I know from personal experience that it took three years to get the new regs through the system here in New Mexico. So, for the states where the process is foundering it could well be that come January 2014 - the deadline for compliance - some of these 23 states will lose falconry as a legal means of hunting. That plain and simple fact is reason enough for all of us to focus our attention on getting all of the states on board with the new regulations as soon as possible. Imagine having falconry illegal in a patchwork of states across the nation, not just the inconvenience of having to alter your travel plans to avoid transporting your hawk through that state, it provides more foothold to have falconry made illegal in other states, maybe yours....
    -Jeff

It's a simple question, what is the AFC doing to aid in reg adoption? Is there any outward reach to states to ensure they don't need help? As a national organization that is so outgoing on the behalf of falconers, I would think this should be the top priority. It's my curiosity if this is the case, that's all.

Paul's post sums it up really well:
    I'm aware of Paul's summation but it doesn't allude to any state that actually needs help. You're aware of NAFA's offer of help to their members because you must be one. Not being a member of AFC you wouldn't be aware of their offer of assistance.

Mine is a simpler question, what state needs help? As I've already stated, AFC and NAFA have both offered help to their membership and both have responded to all that needed it. Yes, there is an outward reach by both clubs to their members. It's a top priority.

Do you know of a state that needs help?
    Eric Edwards

Thread Information