Thread: New to falconry (new mexico)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't know who that was as none of the falconers are hunting with a Swainson's. There are 3 falconers from Rio Rancho if I'm remembering right. I'm not aware of anyone rehabbing one right now either and most of the rehabbers are not falconers anyway. Was probably something else. Locally the falconers are hunting a couple of red tails, a ferruginous, some Harris' hawks and goshawks and the rest are falcons.

Then I must be mistaken . I also believe he said hes had multiple birds and I think he said he moved here from alaska or some place up north

That's even more strange...you are describing me but we haven't met.

Youv'e never met some one out in the desert

Oh...well, sure but not recently, which is what I thought you meant. Are you in high school and you were running with another guy and girl behind Northern Meadows off of King St? This was a couple of months ago probably. If that was you, I had this bird with me and he was chasing a jack rabbit...it's a Harris' hawk.

Yes yes and yes . Sorry I had to do a research paper on the swainsons hawk recently so it was the first name that came to mind

-Erick

Well, welcome to NAFEX. Click on the link below my name and do some reading there. The Modern Apprentice I recommended to you is a fantastic resource. After that, almost all of your questions can be answered by doing archive searches here.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. I do recommend you get out with some falconers...myself or others are close by. Your parents will need to be involved also as there will be considerable expenses, facilities to build at your house, etc...but that's getting ahead of where you are at. Go out with some guys and see if you like it. It's a lot of work all year and to be blunt, falconry is hunting...not show and tell or pet keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Rev View Post
    That's even more strange...you are describing me but we haven't met.
    Now that's a senior moment even Rich would be proud of!
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Awesomeness! Welcome! I ,too, am a pre apprentice. The Mojo has brought you to the Source Carry on!

Still grinning at the progression of posts here.

Hawkless but hopeful,

Joan Marie
    Joan Marie
    ~Old age and treachery will overcome youth and ability every time~

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    Now that's a senior moment even Rich would be proud of!
    BITE ME!
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Hey, I think it's cool he actually looked up the stuff I told him about and ended up here. How many times have we met people in the field, they asked questions, we answered with some detail and attention and nothing more comes of it? That's the usual course of events.

Nice start Erick. If you want to come hawking with the 3 local falconers (an apprentice, a general, and a master falconer)...you have an invite for this Sat. You would see a wide variety of falconry...a gyr/saker hybrid falcon, a ferruginous hawk, and a RT. All 3 are proven on game and you would also see some coursing dogs working with all 3. There's not another invite like that in the country.

Forgot to say...the RT needs imping (that is when you replace damaged feathers) so that would be a good thing to observe. Maintenance and health issues are a big part of falconry.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Rev View Post
    Nice start Erick. If you want to come hawking with the 3 local falconers (an apprentice, a general, and a master falconer)...you have an invite for this Sat. You would see a wide variety of falconry...a gyr/saker hybrid falcon, a ferruginous hawk, and a RT. All 3 are proven on game and you would also see some coursing dogs working with all 3. There's not another invite like that in the country.
    Can I come too? I'll bring a sling shot and some Gobstoppers. Oh wait, thats a regional thing...?

Dang. Just dang.

You're gonna love this ride Erick!
    Joan Marie
    ~Old age and treachery will overcome youth and ability every time~

Thread Information