Thread: Greetings from central Florida

Default Greetings from central Florida

Hello, Nafex (NAFEX?)

I was referred to these boards by Eric Edwards of the Florida Falconers' Association and am excited to be able to have access to so many knowledgeable minds. I am twenty years old as of June and I wish I had known that it was possible for me to learn falconry sooner! I grew up on a lake and saw all kinds of native falcons and hawks, but until I was a teenager I had no idea that people still trained them for hunting- and even when I finally saw a falconry demonstration, I was somehow under the impression that you had to be born into it to be able to do that. Yeah, I was a naive kid...

When I was about fourteen my dad gave me his old film camera. That's when I started hiking- I went everywhere, miles and miles, days on end. We don't have many big animals (just the usual deer and raccoons and the occasional gator) but I got rather familiar with the red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks in the area seeing as they wouldn't dash at the first sign of my dog. Some of my fondest memories as well growing up were canoeing through the cypresses and seeing bald eagles tending their nests.

In short, if there's anything I can do to help these birds or be able to observe them more, I'm game. Now that I've finished my second year of college I also have plenty of free time, so I figured now is as good a time as ever to start putting some serious effort into learning more about possibly becoming an apprentice falconer. I have just started volunteering at the Avian Reconditioning Center in Apopka, Florida and look forward to learning as much as I can.

Thank you for your time and for providing this great forum so that people like me aren't lost in the dark!
    -Ariel

Welcome. The center is a good place to learn. Also, see this site: www.themodernapprentice.com Great information there. Also, www.n-a-f-a.com
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmom View Post
    Welcome. The center is a good place to learn. Also, see this site: www.themodernapprentice.com Great information there. Also, www.n-a-f-a.com
    Yep! I've been working my way through The Modern Apprentice, and NAFA is where I started out. Right now I'm trying to compile a reading list and find what books I can afford. I'm very thankful that these are open and informative so I can have good references. The more the better.

Welcome, Ariel!
    (BTW, your Dad's name isn't Paul, is it?)
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    Welcome, Ariel!
    (BTW, your Dad's name isn't Paul, is it?)
    Thank you, good to be here.
    Nope, though my dad is also in the flight business...he's a pilot, haha. Not involved in any falconry that I know of, though.

Check out the apprentice forum here. There is a lot of good reading to be had.
    Meridith
    "I've spent the better part of the past year as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent."

Quote Originally Posted by Zarafia View Post
    Check out the apprentice forum here. There is a lot of good reading to be had.
    Hmm, I'm looking at the forum and subforum titles but am having trouble finding it...could you give me a link, or is it under some place I'm not looking?

Whoops, nevermind, I found it- just wasn't looking at what was right in front of me. Thanks!

Default Welcome

I'm a falconer and I live in south Orlando right near Disney and SeaWorld. Feel free to write anytime.

Kevin

Thread Information