Thread: Spotted a RT with Bells & Jesses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Spotted a RT with Bells & Jesses

Flies and perches up and down Disposal Road since the beginning of December 2011.

Took this photo Today along Disposal Road. This RT is Beautiful
    I can post more photos if needed.

From the appearance of the tail it looks like it has been kept in a giant hood. You should try catching it or get a local conservation officer and see if he can catch it before it gets hung up in something. Should have a ban on it's leg that will tell where it is from.. Also check with the local falconry club in your area maybe they will trap it.
    Austin

Gosh, she's been out there at least 6 weeks and she still hasn't pulled her jesses. That seems unusual.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

This is most likely Sadhak's bird. He lives in Rutherford which is close to where this bird was spotted. See his post on here.

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=13302

I just spoke with Eric Swanson (Shortwingn here on NAFEX) hoping he had Sadhak's phone number. He didn't. However, he told me that he and others are aware of this bird and have been trying to trap it for several weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by joekoz View Post
    I just spoke with Eric Swanson (Shortwingn here on NAFEX) hoping he had Sadhak's phone number. He didn't. However, he told me that he and others are aware of this bird and have been trying to trap it for several weeks now.
    I really hope that someone can trap it. It's bells definitely give it up when it's trying to hunt. I haven't seen it catch anything this weekend or I could have bad timing. It was there again today perched in a tree along Disposal Road.

I'm not sure why DeKorte Park hasn't had anyone come and trap it yet.
    Jana. B

Quote Originally Posted by joekoz View Post
    Follow it around and find where it roosts at night. Then make a set for it under its nose before first light. It shouldn't be that difficult to trap. If it is trap wise to a BC, try a padam or phai trap. PM me and I can share with you how to bait a Padam for a redtail.

Best,
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Sadhak,
    I know you didn't think getting your bird back was a big deal. After all you left it out with jesses and bells on and just trapped another bird. Most falconers would see this as bad falconry. But other things can happen besides your bird getting hung up.

Looks like thats your bird flying on the side of the runway at JFK. I'll send you a e-mail and PM with the contact info for the biologist at JFK. Get this bird already before it gets hit by a plane.
    ~Erik Swanson~

Washed meat and stones will cause a hawk to fly;
    Long fasting and no castings will cause a hawk to die.

Default Sighting

A month or two ago a falcon with leather ribbons dangling visited my Ringwood, NJ backyard. We were on our swing and it perched in our trees. It didn't come any closer and then flew away.

Jeanine Louttit

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER Guest

As Falconers these things happen to all of us! It appears that this Hawk has a good chance of surviving with the equipment on and will eventually fall off. It is perplexing why the Redtail didn't pull the jesses nor chew off the bewit from the bell. They eventually do. All of my hawks have chewed their bewits and sometimes there jesses during the molt only to find the bells on the floor. I use a """"thin"""" leather on my equipment.

I think there should be some thought as to the quality and thickness of leather we use on our birds. With the use of better and thicker leathers (and synthetics) its harder for the equipment to wear off. Convenient for us but not so convenient for the Hawk if its lost.

This brings me back to forty (40) years ago when a friend was flying a kestrel and the bird escaped with a foot long leather shoe lace in one of the jesses. Four (4) years later the bird re-appeared at his small farm with the leather shoe lace still attached. We couldn't believe it! Back then we knew little about falconry nor did we know any falconers.

How I was taught:
    Bird missing? Go get it and don't come back with any lame excuses.
    Michael Alison Harman

Joby Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RT Alison View Post
    How I was taught:
    Yep, nuff said!!

Quote Originally Posted by RT Alison View Post
    How I was taught:
    Easier said than done.
    Doug
    Inside every cynical.person is a disappointed idealist.

Seems to me that attemps have been made to retrap the bird several times with no luck, I'm not sure as to exactly who was trying to trap her, seems as though it was several people.

However, A live lure attatched to some carpenters twine might get her.

Get her to come into the lure and while she's eating walk in big circles around her it will tie her feet togather and you got her. I've heard of wild hawks caught this way.

I had a EMRT that flew off on me once for 4 months with hunting jesses and bells on both legs. When I finally found him...he came right to me as if he'd been gone for 15 minutes. All his equipment was intact and in good working order. He weight 1.5oz more that his fly weight
    Todd Brown "If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the wings of a vulture... that's immortality enough for me." ~Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brown View Post
    However, A live lure attatched to some carpenters twine might get her.

Get her to come into the lure and while she's eating walk in big circles around her it will tie her feet togather and you got her. I've heard of wild hawks caught this way.

I've got friends in New Jersey that trapped a redtail this way. I was really impressed.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Easier said than done.
    You are spot on correct, but it's the mantle of responsibility we put on when we trap one in the first place. We will lose birds. Even the most experienced falconers will lose birds. I feel no sympathy for someone who doesn't uphold their end of the bargain. That sympathy rightly goes to the bird.
    Michael Alison Harman

Thread Information