Thread: Hi from NYC

Default Hi from NYC

Hi everyone my name is Paul I've been a falconer for 10 years and I was just upgraded to master class last September. Technically I live in New York City but I live in the borough of Staten Island which is the most rural borough. I've been interested in falconry since I was 10 but didn't know how to become one, so I settled for having pigeons mostly rollers and homers. Then in the late 1970's NYC was good for clubs, rock and roll, etc.

I sent for the study packet from the NYS-DEC in early 1986. In December 1986 my daughter was born and 1991 my son was born. I was distracted but never forgot. In April of 2001 I took and passed my test. I met my sponsor that summer. The weekend of September 9th I bought all the materials to build my mew. I am an EMT and was a supervisor at a private ambulance company at the time. I had put in for the day off to build my mew Wednesday September 12. Unfortunately I watched the towers fall and had a crew that was injured there. It took about a month for things to sort of get back to normal here and finally build and get my mew inspected.

I trapped my first tiercel red-tail on 1/1/2002 caught a few head of game but made the rookie mistake of flying him too heavy and loosing him. I trapped my 2nd a female red-tail in Sept-2002 and still have her. I've also had a Harris's hawk and a Barbary falcon. I have mostly squirrels so I just fly my female red-tail now. I've been lurking for a few years and almost joined when I read a thread on a NYC falconer. I know there are a few falconers in NYC but I don't know them. I am friends with a few in Long Island including my former sponsor, they are great guys and I owe them a lot.

Sorry for the long introduction but I thought this was the best way to let you who I am and how I got into this adventure.
    Paul Scara

Hey Paul! Good to see you on here.

Enjoyed meeting you at our New Jersey Club meet and our discussion about Clove Lake Park, Stables and the Staten Island Zoo brought back fond memories from when I would ride my bike over the Bayonne Bridge back in the 50's to get out of the city and into what then was a semi-rural Staten Island.

Hey Paul,

Nice to hear from you. My dad grew up in Brooklyn in the 30's and 40's and used to keep pigeons, chickens, and pigs at the (multi) family house there. He used to tell me stories about going over to Staten Island as a young man with his shotgun and hunting because it was considered the sticks. Growing up in the 60's and 70's and visiting my aunt who lived on Staten Island I thought my old man was nuts, but even the big cities have patches of wildness here and there that keep life bearable - wilderness is where you find it. Thanks for jogging my memory.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Hi Joe, Good to hear from you. I had a hard time get home that night with the snow. I had a good time wish the weather was better. It's good going to meets to see other peoples birds fly. I take my bird out about 5 days a week by myself so it's nice to meet other people and their birds.
    Paul Scara

Hi Paul, Thanks for the welcome. Falconry is still do able here but even in the 10 years I've been doing it things have changed. I know it's not just here, man just keeps building up. Even in the back secluded parts of parks they build jogging paths and clear all the under brush around them to make it look better for the public. They kill more rabbits by destroying the habitat than I could ever come close to.
    Paul Scara

Quote Originally Posted by nycfalconer View Post
    Hi Joe, Good to hear from you. I had a hard time get home that night with the snow. I had a good time wish the weather was better. It's good going to meets to see other peoples birds fly. I take my bird out about 5 days a week by myself so it's nice to meet other people and their birds.
    Paul:

I try to get out at least 5 times a week as well, and llike you 90% of the time do it alone. We should plan on getting together a few times next season. Let's keep in touch. I'll send you a PM with my contact information.

Welcome aboard Paul, that was a very nice introduction.
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

Thank you, Keith.
    Paul Scara

Default welcome

What's up Paul. I met you at the NYSFA meet in Nov. Tell your brothers Lou and Phil i said hello.

Kevin
    Kevin

Hi Kevin, I'll tell Lou and Phil you said hello. How's your season going?
    Paul Scara

Hi Paul, It's good to see you on here. This is a great, supportive forum! It was great hawking with you at the meet. Sorry you had trouble in the snow...I wondered if anyone had difficulty that night, since we weren't sure how many had to travel after the banquet was over. Some fluke, huh? The ONLY significant snow we had this year, and it had to fall on THAT night! Best wishes for a prosperous end of season! Hope to be able to get together with you again.
    Last edited by ptotten; 03-01-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    Peg Totten
    Hunt hard, kill swiftly, waste nothing, offer no apologies

Paul,
    My seasonis going good. Caught some game, missed some game but the freezer has food. I will take a week off this month and hawk every day, try to get it out of my system for six months. Are you going to the Green Chimneys event this year?
    Kevin

Hi Peg, thanks. Say hello to Paul for me. I went out hunting this morning and she got her 59th squirrel today. She only has 3 Rabbits so far. Hope the rest of the season goes well for you and Paul. I would like to see the coopers hunt some day.
    Paul Scara

anyone here going to green chimneys this year?
    Uwem

Ill be going. Can't wait.
    Vincent Mirizio

Quote Originally Posted by owo9ja View Post
    anyone here going to green chimneys this year?
    I really want to but 3+ hours with my 12mpg truck would be tough on my budget...
    Anthony Scott - Apprentice -"My Lord Protector's hawks do tower so well; They know their master loves to be aloft And bears his thoughts above his falcon's pitch.”

Smile

I'll be there
    Paul Scara

Hi Paul,
    I remember meeting you at the NJ Field Meet this past winter. It was really neat to hear that there are practicing falconers in NYC! Hope your birds are molting well.

I'm planning to go to Green Chimneys, see everyone there.
    Abby
    Doha, Qatar

Welcome
    Tim Marshall-Lasting change, the kind that liberates nations, ends a dark age, or moves mankind forward does not occur by laws or mandates, and not by war or coercion. It happens one heart at a time, slowly, and only with noble passion.

Hey Paul, I just caught that you were an EMT. I am a FireMedic up here in Michigan near Detroit. Are you still on the road?
    Tim Marshall-Lasting change, the kind that liberates nations, ends a dark age, or moves mankind forward does not occur by laws or mandates, and not by war or coercion. It happens one heart at a time, slowly, and only with noble passion.

Thread Information