Thread: Hello from southwest Missouri

Default Hello from southwest Missouri

Hello all, I'm just looking into falconry, I have hunted and fished all of my life and something about training a raptor to hunt small game appeals to me. If anyone can point me to someone around the Neosho or Joplin area who I may be able to talk with about an apprenticeship that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.
    -Darren Rowe
    -"I like a man that grins when he fights."-Winston Churchill

Welcome Darren from the eastern parts of Missouri. There is just a few of us down in that part of the state right know. If you don't get someone to help you shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do.
    Mike Mallett, St Louis MO

Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate the help, and if I don't have any luck I will definitely let you know.
    -Darren Rowe

Hello Darren and welcome aboard, good luck at getting your apprenticeship going.
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

Thank you Keith, I appreciate the welcome. I do have a question for you guys though about the sequence of events in an apprenticeship. I know there is a test involved and then you can trap a red tail or do I have this backwards? The other big question that I have is how much money will I be looking at just to get into the sport: How much will permits, registrations, ect. cost, then will whoever apprentices me be expecting money, what are feed costs like? I know this is a lot but if someone could give me a rundown of how the process goes it would be much appreciated.
    -Darren Rowe

Welcome. This link will help you a lot. http://www.themodernapprentice.com/
    Also the search feature here will open a lot of topics...you will have more questions guaranteed! The link below my name will also help.

No one will charge you for an apprenticeship. That's illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Rev View Post
    No one will charge you for an apprenticeship. That's illegal.
    Is it? Unethical maybe. Seriously though where in the regs does it say you can't charge someone to sponsor them?
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Wow, the modern apprentice really does have a lot, thanks for the link Bryan.
    -Darren Rowe

Modern Apprentice has gotten even better over the last year. Subtle changes but great stuff. Between that and doing archive searches here, you will learn a lot. In fact, many veteran falconers spend time on NAFEX doing archive searches.

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    Is it? Unethical maybe. Seriously though where in the regs does it say you can't charge someone to sponsor them?
    You're right Krys. I don't think it prohibits that directly. It certainly goes against the spirit of it. I was thinking you couldn't charge $ for falconry (not the same as educational demos) but I don't think it says that either. Of course, now that we are switching over to state regs, each state can decide to be more restrictive than previous federal regs.

I'm sure they do, no matter how much you know you can always learn more. I need to be looking into the apprenticeship more, but am finding it hard to get myself away from the eagle discussions.
    -Darren Rowe

Darren,

I live in Nevada, MO, which is about an hour north of Joplin. I am a general falconer and currently fly a 5x-intermewed red-tailed hawk as well as an imprint female kestrel. Currently my season just ended with my kestrel as this warmer weather has her not wanting to chase game. My red-tail has been done hunting for a while now. Shoot me a pm with any questions that you might have. I am doing a falconry program soon in Parsons, KS for the audubon meeting. If you can make it to that program that would be great. Talk to you soon!

Sincerely,
    Meagan
    Meagan Duffee

I tried sending you a PM, it wouldn't go through. But yes, I am kinda familiar with Nevada, have played football and went to a few 3d target bow shoots up there. When is the meet in Parsons? If nothing else I would like to go just to see what falconry is all about, and meet some new people.
    Thanks-Darren
    -Darren Rowe

Thread Information