I personally feel that it is innate to mantle when the bird feels that its food is threaten, guess I should clarify that. Not a strong opinion, I could probably be swayed other way after reading some studies. I also feel that it doesnt matter innate or learned, the falconer shouldnt make the bird feel threatened if one wants to have the best relationship with that bird.

Dillon can think what he wants, I said that I only agree with most of what he says.

Whether is it innate or not doesnt change the fact that the falconer is not another bird of prey so the falconer should not be perceived as a threat. It is more difficult to avoid this behavior in imprints since they think that they are human or you are a bird, but its still not impossible. If the bird sees you as a threat to its food, however misguided we feel that it is, the bird is right and we as falconers have to change that relationship in the bird's mind if you truly want to get the most trust out the human/hawk relationship

Trust me Dillon and I have had many many lengthy discussions about all manner of things back in the day. When it comes to training any living thing to do about anything, there are few that can do it better than he.

Just my opinion, I really don't care how others do things as long as they are happy with the results they are getting.