Thread: Hello All !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello All !

Hey, some of you guys (especially the Brits) will know me from other forums (namely the IFF where I go by the name of SoldierHawker). I am 24 years old and got my first bird in 2003 - 04 which was a Male Harris Hawk. I have since moved on and flown and bred a mixture of birds from broad wings to short wings and even long wings. I have most recently been concentrating on my Goshawks and have for the last season had the pleasure of flying a Margereson Female! (one of the BEST Finnish Goshawks I have ever ever owned / flew. I sold my breeding Goshawks last year as I needed to cut ties with people and go it alone! So My intentions with this Margereson female is to firstly fly / hunt her over a number of seasons and proove her in the field! (first season done and she has done extremely well) Once I have prooven her worth in the field I will hope to produce young from her and from a Male I will start work with this season! - Many breeders will fight to produce anything From anything and I feel in this climate it is something we need to move away from! Particularly in the UK where the law is very lax in areas! Anyway If I may I will update this thread from time to time with my exploits and maybe some pics here and there! Not sure who is on here using this forum? But to all Hey my name is Billy and I look forward to meeting some of you!

All the best Billy

Welcome to NAFEX Billy. I am sure you find real fast that the environment around this forum is VERY different from the IFF. Let one of the moderators know if you need anything.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Welcome to NAFEX Billy. I am sure you find real fast that the environment around this forum is VERY different from the IFF. Let one of the moderators know if you need anything.
    Cheers Mario! - That place isn't so bad! I've grown to realise that most are literally just Bird keepers and/or buyers and sellers of birds hoping to make a quick pound or two! - Keyboard warriors Saying that there are some real genuine people on there! I've met a few friends via the IFF that I know will be friends for a very long time! Hopefully I can make more Over seas! Brandy is a moderator on the IFF she is from Kentucky if I remember correctly and she always has time for people! And a very good RT! Atb Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Mazella View Post
    Brandy is a moderator on the IFF she is from Kentucky if I remember correctly and she always has time for people! And a very good RT! Atb Billy
    Brandi is my wife. We are in Texas.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Brandi is my wife. We are in Texas.

There you go then! - Texas (I knew it was somewhere warm!) - tell her I said hey - (Soldierhawker) - She has not been on for awhile I don't think! - had you just moved and were having some Internet issues? Maybe this was awhile ago! Hope all of your birds are good! I've seen afew of your projects in making falconry kit / perches etc etc ! I also try to make my own where possible! Atb Bill

Overwhelmed with welcomes !

Welcome Billy! Can you explain what a Margereson gos is? Pictures?

Forgive everyone, for the forum has been slower lately. Probably most of us are working on that honey-do list that is waiting for us after every hawking season.

Cheers!
    Christopher Ly
    "Life is a garden. Dig it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
    Welcome

Tony
    Cheers Tony! How are you?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.vly View Post
    Welcome Billy! Can you explain what a Margereson gos is? Pictures?

Forgive everyone, for the forum has been slower lately. Probably most of us are working on that honey-do list that is waiting for us after every hawking season.

Cheers!
    Ok Christopher, a Margereson Gos is a Goshawk bred the the Margereson family in Britain! They were the last family / people to import wild trapped Finnish Goshawks from Finland to the UK! They have since then started an extensive breeding programme and produce some of the finest Finnish Goshawks available in the UK - they can produce F1 and F2 females for afew years without having to produce F3 for a few years! - I think they may well be on this forum allready?!

If you like Goshawks there definately worth a look! Not sure on how you would go about importing one there but by god you would not be disappointed! I believe lance Christian is a good friend of the Margereson family!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to started a diary this next season! What bird(s) do you fly ? Atb Bill

Billy,

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Ive heard of Lance, but it was through the show pigeon community. I think its the same guy, if it is, he is an extraordinary fantail breeder too.

Anyways, I'll be flying another red-tail next year. I released my tiercel RT in March, so come October I'll be trapping again! Thank god for wild-take! Not trying to rub it in, promise.

I've always been courious, what does it cost for a gos or RT in the UK?

What kind of quarry did you take with her his year?
    Christopher Ly
    "Life is a garden. Dig it."

Welcome aboard Billy!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by sharptail View Post
    Welcome aboard Billy!
    Cheers Jeff, how are you?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.vly View Post
    Billy,

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Ive heard of Lance, but it was through the show pigeon community. I think its the same guy, if it is, he is an extraordinary fantail breeder too.

Anyways, I'll be flying another red-tail next year. I released my tiercel RT in March, so come October I'll be trapping again! Thank god for wild-take! Not trying to rub it in, promise.

I've always been courious, what does it cost for a gos or RT in the UK?

What kind of quarry did you take with her his year?
    I took all manor of Quarry with her! From Rabbit to duck to pheasant and even almost (thankfully not) a heron! She really did take naturally to feather! I had to work her into wanting fur but once she had clicked she was pretty solid as an all rounder!

RedTails did go down to around £350 pounds per female - £250 per male but it seems this year there prices are on the increase as I'm sure I heard of someone selling females for £650 pounds!

Goshawks again there prices are going down particularly german Goshawks (small - medium sized gentillis) a female is around £800 - £1000 and a male is possible at £500 - £600 if not cheaper this year! Bigger birds cost more money a good Finnish bird from good stock should set you back around £1500 - £2000 minimum! (female) and then you go into albidus and White birds - £2500 - £5000 females and White male well I wouldn't like to guess the price of them!

I've flown a few and bred a few and I've got to say that the Margereson line is something else the birds are closer to wild than most in genetics and there temperaments show this! My female was taken as an imprint and she was more like a PR hawk! Not a noise and no aggression! A dream to work with!

I'm not too concerned with wild take and if I'm honest I'm glad it can not be done here as allready with cheap prices birds fall into the wrong hands so if they were free I wouldn't like to think about who would get a hold of them! - anyway if I wild trapped a UK goshawk it would most likely be wearing a ring lmao!

What's the weather like there at the moment ? It's very hot/cold here at the moment! And we've got a hose pipe ban on! Ofcourse I can still use my hose pipe to provide water for my birds / chickens etc etc lol ATB Bill

Thread Information