Thread: Training Books?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Training Books?

There's a good chance I'll be getting an english setter pup from my Dad later this summer. My Dad had hunting dogs of all shapes and sizes while I was growing up and I gun hunted over all of them never trained one myself (I always had my birds). Now that I'm in a position where I have a little space, the kids are begging for a pet, and miraculously even my wife wants a dog (you have NO IDEA what a huge thing THAT is), my father has generously offered a pup from his first breeding this year. I'm super excited as I'd like to focus on some quail hunting this coming season but I don't have a clue how to train a good dog. I've got "Don't Shoot the Dog" on the way and some other Cesar Millan book coming but any hidden gems you experienced folk recommend? Especially in relation to a good falconry dog...

Looking forward to the adventure. Thanks!
    -Isaac

Isaac, maybe check out this book
    Wing and Shot by R Wehle
    Ricco
    Calm seas have never made a good sailor.

Isaac,
    Who trains your dads dogs? If he does it himself, I would think that would be the best resource available. You can learn from a book, sure. Having someone there to help and advise you on your dog is priceless and will go much further in getting your dog ready. If your getting a pup, most likely it won't be ready to hunt this season of any account. Most gun dog breeds require very little to start them, just exposure to game and field time. After that your dad can most likely point you in the right direction. It's work but it's fun as well.

Here are a couple books that I have and like.
    Bird dog--the instinctive training method. Ben O. Williams

Gun dog--Richard a wolters. (this one is written for owners training their own dogs)
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

Thanks guys! I agree that my Dad would probably be a good resource but he's in Utah and I'm in SoCal. He also does a lot of field trial training which, from my personal observations, doesn't seem too conducive to my style of hawking (quail with a Coops). I'll definitely be calling him but just wanted a few other books to read through in the meantime.

Thanks again and any more suggestions are welcome!
    -Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by colelkhunter View Post
    Gun dog--Richard a wolters. (this one is written for owners training their own dogs)
    I can't even count how many people have told me this is their choice as a favorite dog book.

I should probably read it someday!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

I am currently reading it as well. Good book so far and came HIGHLY recommended!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    I can't even count how many people have told me this is their choice as a favorite dog book.

I should probably read it someday!

Jeff, as a pro dog trainer for years, this is one of the few books that I suggest to people that have little to no experience training dogs. It breaks things down into simple goals, it's easy to understand and it works. Winning combo. i have read about everything there is out there, even though i do not train gun dogs. It is helping me with my DD that I am working with now. It has applications across the board.
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

"Training with Mo" by Martha Greenlee is the best book I know of. It's so easy to follow.

This is a good video. I found it very helpful.

George Hickox DVD video-

http://www.gundogsupply.com/gehitrpododv.html
    Ed S. - Halfmoon, NY (Saratoga Co.)

Thread Information