Thread: Idaho Eyass BBQ and Overnighter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Idaho Eyass BBQ and Overnighter

Hey every one. It is that time of the year again. We are planning our 4th annual Eyass BBQ at Lake Walcott, just north of Rupert Idaho. Again we will be meeting on Friday May 25 at Lake Walcott State Park. The camping is very reasonable and is in the grass surrounding the lake. There are great areas for a fire, covered eating area along with soft ground for your tents. Every one will be responsible for there own meet for cooking and a dish to share. I will have a stove area and BBQ set up for whoever needs it. Saturday morning we will again put breakfast items together for a buffet of breakfast items. Later that morning we will be traveling into the desert where a few of us will be pulling young eyass prairie falcons from a known eyerie. This is a lot of fun guys. Even if you have never been around a bird, this is a great opportunity to see it first hand along with meeting some great people. If you're interested in camping over night, google the park and you can look up reservation information. This is a family get together, so if you have kids then bring them. I look forward to seeing you all there. If you need more info call me at 208-573-8570

I hear through the grapevine that there may be a couple of East coast'rs crashing the party ;-)
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Quote Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN View Post
    I hear through the grapevine that there may be a couple of East coast'rs crashing the party ;-)
    ah, to be sucked up in the slip stream.....Calgon, take me away....
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

I highly recommend this "event". Will be there this year if possible. Would like to get in the convoy to the desert. Depends if I can get new tires on the pickup.

Just because it is late May, weather is iffy this time of year. Expect rain and wind. Lovely weather last year. Lake Walcott park is nice. Mowed grass camping areas and fire pits.

Should be called the ID / UT Eyas BBQ. All and more are welcome, I'm sure.

We need some Wood River people to come ! Calder, Jimmy, come and meet crazy people !
    Dan, aka oldguy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    I highly recommend this "event". Will be there this year if possible. Would like to get in the convoy to the desert. Depends if I can get new tires on the pickup.

Just because it is late May, weather is iffy this time of year. Expect rain and wind. Lovely weather last year. Lake Walcott park is nice. Mowed grass camping areas and fire pits.

We need some Wood River people to come ! Calder, Jimmy, come and meet crazy people !
    I think I am going to try and go!
    Calder Zarkos

I think I'll try and make this if you boys don't mind another southern'er!

I'll be the one bringing the beer (even if I have to drink it alone!)

caleb
    Caleb Stroh
    Kaysville, UT

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post

Gee, that one pair of prarie falcons must feel pretty famous with all the fanfare and attention they are getting or have you found another eyrie out there?
    Tom Smith, Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

So do we need to reserve a camping spot?
    Caleb Stroh
    Kaysville, UT

There are a few nice enough/new enough motels at Burley exit on I-84. We're checking on room rates and will post later today.

These are the closest motels in area and only a few miles from the road to Walcott Park. The park is safe and patrolled by county sherriffs.
    Like Stephen said, bring meat you want to grill and whatever else. If you don't or can't there will be plenty. I am bringing two 12" Dutch ovens with spuds 'n onions and BBQ pork or chicken. Might get to a peach or apple cobbler. Nobody has gone hungry in the past.

This is close enough to town that I will be at the BBQ, drive home 14mi that night. and be in line for the drive out to the desert. That's my plan anyway. If you plan to stay at one of the motels, it will be about the same distance. There are a couple of restruants for breakfast Sat. morning close by.
    Wouldn't be a problem to drive back to motel, get a good night's sleep, grab an early breakfast and be back out at the park in time.
    Camping at the park sounds like a blast, but just so everyone knows there are options.

Will post later today with motel info. Come if you can !
    Dan, aka oldguy.

Default from AKA Oldguy

Got some rates and such for BBQ.

I-84 exit 208

Super 8 With AAA or AARP $74.99 + tax $80.99 Without AAA... $79.99+ tax $86.39 $10 pet fee. North side of exit 208 next to Hub Plaza and Conner's Cafe ( highly recommended).

Budget Motel With AAA or AARP $51.99 + tax Without $57.99 + tax $10. pet fee South side of exit 208

Burley Inn $89.99+ Rates apparently change from week to week. Next to Budget Motel and Perkin's Restruant

Best route to Walcott Park is back on I-84 to Exit 211. North to Rupert. Follow signs to Walcott Park /Minidoka Nat. Wildlife Refuge.

If coming from Boise, recommend a quick stop at Perrine Bridge Visitors Center. First Twin Falls exit. No canyon view quite like this one.

Hope this helps, bud. I'll let you post this on NAFEX unless you want me to.

Dan, P.S. Bought a big pkg of boneless pork ribs at Costco today. In freezer, waiting BBQ.

Stephen -

What time are you showing up at the park on Friday?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mascuch View Post
    Stephen -

What time are you showing up at the park on Friday?

Paul
    Hey Paul,
    Im going to try and be there by about 3:00 or so. Also would you let Jim know about the hotel info? Thanks
    Stephen

Thank you guys. Yeah, it was really a crap shoot on my end. We will see how she fills out and into the hood. If nothing else Stephan will have something for the shelf
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Thread Information