Thread: Intro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Intro

I'm from NH. I've always loved birds of prey but never thought I could actually become a falconer. My husband and I moved to a new house with lots of land in September and that's when I realized I would be able to become a falconer. We didn't have any room in our previous home/neighborhood. I work from home (LMT) and set my own schedule, my daughter is 22 and works full time. I have time to put forth the dedication and have the determination to do this. It's a whole new world for me but I am looking forward it to so much.

We have 3 dogs, the youngest one I'm doing agility with (also did agility with the oldest one).

I have my falconry exam on Monday morning.
    Took (and passed) the online hunters ed course. Now awaiting my field trial in June to get my hunting license as well. (another test - ugh).

I have a sponsor in place and we're discussing mews, making my own equipment etc. He has been a blessing and will probably continue to "teach me" well. I am trying to absorb as much as possible.

Once I get through all these darn tests I'll feel so much better! I am not a good test taker.
    Bonnie Chadwick

Welcome to the party, Bonnie.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Bonnie, Welcome to the community. May I ask who your sponsor is? I'm in touch with all of the NH falconers. I hope you enjoy the journey of becoming licensed. This fall, once hunting season starts, come on over to the coast of Maine and join me for some duck hawking. In addition to networking yourself among the falconers in NH, and joining their state club, I would suggest that you consider joining the North American Falconers' Association. Please feel free to call or write me if you want to talk about joining, or why it's important.

Scott McNeff

Maine

Welcome aboard Bonnie.

For another great service organization, check out the American Falconry Conservancy, at http://falconryconservancy.org/. We actively engage in presuing our Mission Statement:

Mission Statement
    |
    To protect and preserve the art and practice of falconry for future generations and to protect falconers’ rights, we hereby declare ourselves as a non-profit organization known as American Falconry Conservancy established in 2002 – an organization dedicated to the art of hunting with trained raptors. It is also our intention to pursue the broadest liberties possible that are not in conflict with legitimate conservation efforts based upon sound biological and legal reasoning. Citizens have a right to practice falconry within the confines of ecologically and ethically responsible behavior, and it is the intention of AFC to defend this right.

We further declare that our purpose is to help promote knowledge of quality falconry, as well as to instill pride in falconers for the cultural heritage of the sport, and its place in world history. We also support and recognize falconry’s continuing contributions to raptor/avian science and ecology.

Lastly, we declare that our purpose is to open borders between all States and nations for: trapping wild raptors, commerce in domestically propagated raptors, and transportation of all secure species of raptors for use in falconry.
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Welcome to NAFEX
    Hal
    Carroll County, New Hampshire

Hi Bonnie
    Welcome aboard and gald to see your excitment.
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

Quote Originally Posted by mainefalconer View Post
    Bonnie, Welcome to the community. May I ask who your sponsor is? I'm in touch with all of the NH falconers. I hope you enjoy the journey of becoming licensed. This fall, once hunting season starts, come on over to the coast of Maine and join me for some duck hawking. In addition to networking yourself among the falconers in NH, and joining their state club, I would suggest that you consider joining the North American Falconers' Association. Please feel free to call or write me if you want to talk about joining, or why it's important.

I used to be Mainer, grew up there. I remember watching the release of the peregrine falcons back into Acadia National Park (in the 80's). it was a big hoopla and I was working there at the time for the National Park service as a life guard.
    Bonnie Chadwick

Nice!! Time spent in Acadia is never wasted. Especially when peregrines are present. I hope to see you in the field at some point. Take care, and if you need any help with anything, let me know....

scottmcneff@yahoo.com
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Welcome Bonnie, Hope you passed your test and have decided where to build your mews. It will be fun to have another Falconer on the coast.
    Jeff Owens

Thanks Jeff. I got a 94 the second time. I had to take it twice but if anything it cemented the information in my head.
    Bonnie Chadwick

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER Guest

Is that Robert Wagner with you in that picture ?

Default Yeap

Quote Originally Posted by PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.

What is the story behind captain Kirk?
    Axel, Texas
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!!!

capt Kirk
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER View Post
    William Shatner! You folks do know that Captain Kirk IS a fictional character. LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    William Shatner! You folks do know that Captain Kirk IS a fictional character. LOL
    What are you joking of course Capt. Kirk is real ask any Trekeeeeeee
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

I met Bill in person and he's just fantastic. I wasn't a real fan until I got to speak to him one on one. He really is a wonderful guy although some people just don't get him.
    Bonnie Chadwick

Default Welcome To NH

Hello Bonnie, Welcome to NH and welcome to the sport! I am pretty sure I know your sponsor and you have chosen a good one! I am sure you will be joining our organazation NHFA soon. Look forward to meeting and helping in any way I can! I make most of my own equipment so if you need some pointers let me know. Nice to have another Falconer here in NH we are a rather small group! Welcome!

Raggedmtfalcomer---Michael
    Michael in NH

Thread Information