Thread: hi im looking for a sponsor

Default hi im looking for a sponsor

hi my name is david peacock. I'm looking for a sponsor to train under so i can get into this awesome and historic sport. Im 21 and i love animals. the ones i take care of are like family to me. I live in bay Minette AL and i would like to meet some one near me to be my sponsor.

David Peacock

Welcome aboard the sport and lifestyle of falconry David, good luck on finding you a sponsor. Your should check with your local game division and see if there is also a falconry club in your state as well.
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

there is, im trying to get in touch with them to.

Default wow

isthere no one from Alabama on this site

Here is your first lesson in Falconry, Patience. There are falconers from Alabama here.
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by dpeacock15 View Post
    Nope, not a single one! LOL

Try these folks!

Falconers and Austringers of Alabama
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

im waiting on an email from them to. and i know I should be more patient im just excited. Up to a month ago I did not even know that it is legal in Alabama. now that i do i have started reading everything I can find on the subject.

im waiting on an email from them to. and i know I should be more patient im just excited. Up to a month ago I did not even know that it is legal in Alabama. now that i do i have started reading everything I can find on the subject.
    Click on that little green Forum Rules above and pay attention to Number 1. LOL

But seriously, find out when the FAA is having their summer picnic or their first event and go to that and you will probably meet someone that will sponsor you. Don't be too pushy when asking folks to sponsor you, it really turns them off. Just talk to folks and eventually it will come up that you are ready to get into the sport and you need a sponsor. Patience is the biggest assest in falconry and that isn't just waiting for a sponsor, it applies to everything in falconry.

Good luck!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by colelkhunter View Post
    Here is your first lesson in Falconry, Patience. There are falconers from Alabama here.
    Second lesson is that begging for a sponsor online rarely works. Meeting up with local falconers and going out hunting with them for a while is the far better way to go. Once you put in some time and effort people will be a lot more willing to sponsor you. Best of luck.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

The thing about that is I dont know where any are. Im currently asking permission to come to one of FAA's outungs, but that is as close to falconry as I have been. Talking to someone on the phone.
    David Peacock.

first impressions are everything
    -Oliver Connor
    "Live a life uncommon."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandragen View Post
    first impressions are everything
    That's what Ted Bundy said, too!!!! LOL
    Michael Alison Harman

The bit about being patient is an understatement. If you are not a patient person you will be forced by this sport to learn to be... or fail miserably at it.
    Michael Alison Harman

You definitely will learn patience. I've been waiting for years for a sponsor to come along, no luck yet.

Hang in there, don't give up.
    Shadera

Quote Originally Posted by RT Alison View Post
    That's what Ted Bundy said, too!!!! LOL
    That made me laugh out loud. It produced some interesting looks from the library patrons!
    Scott Wilkie
    --Most creative username on NAFEX.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkiesc View Post
    That made me laugh out loud. It produced some interesting looks from the library patrons!
    If you ever see footage of him just before they did him in, you'd swear he was the nicest guy you'd ever want to fry.
    Michael Alison Harman

Quote Originally Posted by Kachina View Post
    You definitely will learn patience. I've been waiting for years for a sponsor to come along, no luck yet.

Hang in there, don't give up.
    You answered your own question! A sponsor isn't going to come along, you have to get out there and find one. Are you a member of NAFA? And I will put this out to all of you wanting to get into this sport, if you join NAFA, you will have access to a Member Lookup in the Members Only section. You can enter your state and it will show you all NAFA members in your state and their location (unless they asked to not be published). Not all NAFA members are falconers but most are. By the way, there are 44 NAFA members in Montana.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    You answered your own question! A sponsor isn't going to come along, you have to get out there and find one. Are you a member of NAFA? And I will put this out to all of you wanting to get into this sport, if you join NAFA, you will have access to a Member Lookup in the Members Only section. You can enter your state and it will show you all NAFA members in your state and their location (unless they asked to not be published). Not all NAFA members are falconers but most are. By the way, there are 44 NAFA members in Montana.
    Yep. Also a lifetime member of my state club. I couldn't go back and edit my post to fully clarify, but what I meant was, I've been waiting a long time for the right one to come along, and it just hasn't happened yet. I first tried to get into falconry about a decade ago when I was living in West Virginia, and couldn't manage to get hold of anyone. The snag here in Montana so far has been my living situation (apartment). I haven't wanted to ask someone to commit to me yet, when I have no hope of setting up a proper living area for the bird. That's about to change, because we're going to start looking for a home to buy in the next month or so.

I've been assured by a falconer I respect very much, that when the time comes, I won't have any trouble at all finding myself a sponsor. I'm using this time to read, learn, visit with these MT falconers, and make my own equipment. When I finally get my bird, I'm ready to hit the ground running!

Thanks for the info.
    Shadera

Quote Originally Posted by Kachina View Post
    Yep. Also a lifetime member of my state club. I couldn't go back and edit my post to fully clarify, but what I meant was, I've been waiting a long time for the right one to come along, and it just hasn't happened yet. I first tried to get into falconry about a decade ago when I was living in West Virginia, and couldn't manage to get hold of anyone. The snag here in Montana so far has been my living situation (apartment). I haven't wanted to ask someone to commit to me yet, when I have no hope of setting up a proper living area for the bird. That's about to change, because we're going to start looking for a home to buy in the next month or so.

I've been assured by a falconer I respect very much, that when the time comes, I won't have any trouble at all finding myself a sponsor. I'm using this time to read, learn, visit with these MT falconers, and make my own equipment. When I finally get my bird, I'm ready to hit the ground running!

Thanks for the info.
    I grew up in WV and it wasn't even legal there when I lived there, so I feel your pain. Even now, I think there are less than 10 falconers. Very wise decision to wait until you have the proper place to house your first bird. Too many folks are so gung ho to get started that they start out with a kestrel just because of the smaller housing it takes but I have more respect and I know most potential sponsors will of a prospective apprentice that has the patience to wait until they can move where they can house any type of bird. Good for you!
    Fred

Thread Information