Quote Originally Posted by Kachina View Post
Yep. Also a lifetime member of my state club. I couldn't go back and edit my post to fully clarify, but what I meant was, I've been waiting a long time for the right one to come along, and it just hasn't happened yet. I first tried to get into falconry about a decade ago when I was living in West Virginia, and couldn't manage to get hold of anyone. The snag here in Montana so far has been my living situation (apartment). I haven't wanted to ask someone to commit to me yet, when I have no hope of setting up a proper living area for the bird. That's about to change, because we're going to start looking for a home to buy in the next month or so.

I've been assured by a falconer I respect very much, that when the time comes, I won't have any trouble at all finding myself a sponsor. I'm using this time to read, learn, visit with these MT falconers, and make my own equipment. When I finally get my bird, I'm ready to hit the ground running!

Thanks for the info.
I grew up in WV and it wasn't even legal there when I lived there, so I feel your pain. Even now, I think there are less than 10 falconers. Very wise decision to wait until you have the proper place to house your first bird. Too many folks are so gung ho to get started that they start out with a kestrel just because of the smaller housing it takes but I have more respect and I know most potential sponsors will of a prospective apprentice that has the patience to wait until they can move where they can house any type of bird. Good for you!