Thread: New So. California Member Introduction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New So. California Member Introduction

Hi guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Saleh and I've been very interested in falconry for years. I'm American, but my Grampa back in Saudi Arabia had falcons and I always wanted to find folks out here in Southern California who were involved in falconry. If anybody here is from the Socal area as well, I would be very honored and excited to tag along and witness a hunt to learn whatever I can. I am mobile and I'm really itching to learn more about the sport my family has practiced for generations. Thanks for the membership to your forums.

Best wishes,

Saleh
    Last edited by stassan; 05-31-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: awful grammar

Default Southern California Falconers

Saleh,

There are many falconers in Southern California and among them some who train and fly birds exceptionally. Hopefully a few are on NAFEX and will offer to take you along when they fly. Some are members of the California Hawking Club and also members of the North American Falconers Association. Either organization can help you become involved in the sport in California and North America.

Welcome to NAFEX and falconry

Dan
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Welcome to the forum Saleh!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Hisaki

Thanks, Dan, Jeff, and Hisaki.

I definitely want to join the California Hawking Club. My only regret is that I already missed this year's meet. If anybody in Southern California is looking to go falconing, I would be thrilled to tag along and help in any way I can. I drive a Prius and am willing to drive and pay for gas as well. I live in Riverside, and as I understand it, my county (and the surrounding counties) are well suited for falconry. Hopefully, I'll bump into a falconer from my neck of the woods soon enough.

Thanks for the support and the warm welcome, guys.

Saleh

Hi Saleh,
    The new falconry season is just starting to 'gear up', with new falconry birds recently hatched and training just beginning.

If I am not mistaken, Troy M. lives in Corona and should be starting a new falcon soon.
    He goes by WILL HUNT here on the forum and you could send him a PM.
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Hey Jeff,

That's great! Thanks a lot for the heads up. I will send out a PM and try to get in touch with him.

Much appreciated,

Saleh

Hey Saleh,

Its pretty quiet on the SoCal hawking scene right now since most falconers don't fly during the summer. There's a great group of falconers that meets every weekend in the fall in the Chino area out near you though. I'm down in Long Beach but head out your way as often as possible. Keep in touch and we'll put you in touch with some good folks come fall. PM me your phone number and we can chat.
    -Isaac

Hi Saleh, good to have another prospective falconer from southern California around .

As others have suggested, I'd definitely join the CHC. Last year was my first meet (in Sacramento), and I met some great people including my sponsor. Next year's meet will be in Bakersfield, so not as bad of a drive. You can join up there and mingle, check out some birds, etc. The publication they send out isn't bad, either.

Good luck getting it together! Hope to see you around here and at the meet in January.
    Alex from Los Angeles A few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Hey Alex,

I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one trying to get into the falconry scene here in Southern California. And I definitely plan on attending next year's meet; hope to see you there. Keep me posted on your progress, as I am very interested in your progress. Do you plan to trap this coming season?

Best of Luck,

Saleh

If all goes well, I'll be trapping this October.

When I get my bird I'd love to come out to Riverside, some time. The hills there are so beautiful. Hopefully there are bunnies around .
    Alex from Los Angeles A few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Alex,

That sounds great. Be sure to message me prior, as I'd like very much to see this in person (if you don't mind). I hope you catch that bird.

Thanks,

Saleh

Thread Information