Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Anybody else ever had someone (nonfalconer) try to cal ltheir bird down?? Thought I almost had a heart attack...
More times then you'd imagine... not to mention while hawking.

I've got great neighbors, I hawk on all their places, and they are ever vigilant to keep an eye out for my hawks. A couple that comes to mind were the kids the next farm down. They loved the hawks and would come over as often as we would let them.. they esp the 10 year old girl, spent an amazing amount of time playing with , probably the last 6-7 goshawks I've hacked. That said on two different occasions I tracked the wayward hawk down to their place and called to see if they saw him. Yes he was upstairs in her bedroom playing house!! Seems Ricky had just walked in with her and followed her upstairs. Another time he was in the neighbors kid's tree house playing with them. When I got there the mother called the kids down and they called Ricky down to them as I stood there ... He landed right at their feet and then proceeded to walk over to the deck hop up on the picnic table and lay down.
Had another gos Apache fly down to the neighbors farm and end up in the barn... They quickly called and said they trapped a hawk and did I want it.
So I walked down and retrieved him and called him along as I walked home. It's great to live in the sticks and to have neighbors that watch out for the birds.