Thread: Pain Male NA Gos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Instead of feeding him on the lure toss small tidbits (walnut size) for him to chase and eat. Once this is established, toss them in very shallow warm water( 1/2" -1") in a bath pan. Usually only takes a few before timesd and they start bathing, then you can increase the water a little deeper.
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

I'll give that a go thanks.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
    Instead of feeding him on the lure toss small tidbits (walnut size) for him to chase and eat. Once this is established, toss them in very shallow warm water( 1/2" -1") in a bath pan. Usually only takes a few before timesd and they start bathing, then you can increase the water a little deeper.

Now that is an interesting tip! Never thought about doing that, but sounds awesome!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

One of the things I see missing in many of the imprint gos threads is time spent in the mews. It's all about getting them used to doing the things they will be doing later. One of the things my gos WILL be doing is spending time in the mew. He WON'T be spending much time in the house watching TV with me. I let mine free loft in the mew for a few hours each day with a bath pan and most of the time when I go out there his jesses are wet and so is his tail. I think he is about 50 days old now.
    Doug
    Inside every cynical.person is a disappointed idealist.

Hey Doug, do you start out with short times here and there I assume?
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

I'll be keeping him in the house so he is getting used to how it will be. What we are doing now is pretty much how he will live for as long as I live where I do.
    Mark

I tried what you said Barry and I got him to jump in and eat one tidbit in the bath. He stood in it for maybe 2 minutes and got a drink and then went back to his perch. I'll see what he thinks tomorrow about it.

I almost lost him today though when this freak storm blew in suddenly, man that wind was crazy. The second I went into the house it went black outside and the wind kicked up. He was hanging onto the branch he was on for dear life, and i had to grab him as the wind bent the tree so that I could reach him. Man he was pissed, it took him an hour to calm down.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by varanus View Post
    I'll be keeping him in the house so he is getting used to how it will be. What we are doing now is pretty much how he will live for as long as I live where I do.
    You are a lucky man. No way in hell would my wife allow me to keep a hawk in the house after it starts to lose down. After all these years I'm inclined to agree with her. It stinks, it's messy, and I've found it's not all that productive.
    Doug

I just have to keep it cleaned up but i've been keeping my birds in the house for the last few years ( couple of red-tails, 2 coops, a male harris, ect.). My wife doesn't mind too much as long as the mess is kept up on. It keeps the birds tamed down and I can keep an eye on them even during the molt.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Hey Doug, do you start out with short times here and there I assume?
    Yep, he loves his time in the mew. I've got a nice one. I also leave my JRt out there with him for a 10-15 minutes each day while I water the garden next to the mew. He's imprinted on the pup too. It's working out very well.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Now that is an interesting tip! Never thought about doing that, but sounds awesome!
    Never had any trouble getting an eyass into a bath. We usually start out way before hard penned and put a sheet cake pan with about an inch of water in it on the table next to them and swish our fingers around in the water. Usually they hop right in. Some times they just stand next to it looking in and start doing the bathing motions. When they are doing that, you can just pick them up by their feet and lift them over the edge and into the water.
    Richard Brunotte
    Colorado

Thread Information