Thread: Pain Male NA Gos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

what a story,glad it ended up alright.
    Hank mitchell

Joby Guest

Let's just hope that he didn't crap on anybody OR that'll be the LAST TIME that you'll be allowed to fly your hawk inside of that Menards!!!

BTW, when do you want some of those sparrows?

HA Yeah he is a character thats for sure. I'm keeping a close eye on him but so far he seems to be fine thankfully.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Joby View Post
    BTW, when do you want some of those sparrows?
    After our trapping get together I'll gab a few from you that way I'm sure we have enough.
    Mark

Tossed him a sparrow today and watched him catch and release it about 10 times before the sparrow was dead. Even after it was dead he would take it in his beak and toss it in the air so he could jump up and catch it again another 20 times or so before he finally ate it. I offered him a rabbit bag but he wasn't all that interested in it. He half heartedly went for it and when it jumped out of the way he just laned next to it and watched it. I'm thinking I need to thaw out a dead rabbit and pull it out from under a bush and let him feed up on it to give him the right idea about them. Man I can't wait for it to cool off, kill all the stupid bugs, and for season to open up so we can go get after it.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by varanus View Post
    Tossed him a sparrow today and watched him catch and release it about 10 times before the sparrow was dead. Even after it was dead he would take it in his beak and toss it in the air so he could jump up and catch it again another 20 times or so before he finally ate it. I offered him a rabbit bag but he wasn't all that interested in it. He half heartedly went for it and when it jumped out of the way he just laned next to it and watched it. I'm thinking I need to thaw out a dead rabbit and pull it out from under a bush.
    Hmmmm....I'm thinking you need to lower him...
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
    Hmmmm....I'm thinking you need to lower him...
    Yep, he was too high before he ate the sparrow and that's why he wasn't interested in the bunny after he ate the sparrow. Don't waste your time on dragging a dead bunny around. I'm flying one of Barry's birds too and I believe he's a few days older than yours. I can release a quail or a pigeon from my remote and he's all busines. He also chases anything else we shake up within 10yds. I'm like you though, I tend keep them on the all you can eat schedule as long as I can but when it's time to start cutting their weight you gotta get on top of the program. However, at this point you have to be prepared to commit to pretty much a daily regime of providing him with challenging slips.
    Doug
    Inside every cynical.person is a disappointed idealist.

Yeah I fed him later than normal the day before so he was a bit higher today when I took him out at our normal time. I can launch quail or sparrows and he is off after them quick as can be. He did go for the rabbit but just not like he does birds and when the rabbit jumped away I think it spooked him a bit so he stopped to watch it. Right now I've been keeping him at around 680g so maybe a 10g drop will get him to hit the rabbit. I'll find out tomorrow. I'm a little worried about cutting his weight any more though since he alread starts calling now when he gets down to 680g. HE shuts up though as soon as he gets a bit of food in him but once he starts thats the only thing that gets him to stop. On the up side he will ride the glove a good long time while we walk around looking for stuff to flush all we need now is for the cover to come down a bit and these damn bugs to all die off .
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Yep, he was too high before he ate the sparrow and that's why he wasn't interested in the bunny after he ate the sparrow. Don't waste your time on dragging a dead bunny around. I'm flying one of Barry's birds too and I believe he's a few days older than yours. I can release a quail or a pigeon from my remote and he's all busines. He also chases anything else we shake up within 10yds. I'm like you though, I tend keep them on the all you can eat schedule as long as I can but when it's time to start cutting their weight you gotta get on top of the program. However, at this point you have to be prepared to commit to pretty much a daily regime of providing him with challenging slips.
    It makes me think mine must have been a butter ball. Started her out at 906gm and now she's down to 850gm. After feeding her off of two rabbit carcasses and two handicapped bunnies she still shows little interest in them or the stray birds I flush. I know she's to high. Her behaviors tell me so. I've noticed patterns, but man this is taking awhile! I'm dropping her 5gm at a time till that switch turns on.
    Isaac

Thread Information