Thread: Hi from Spain

Default Hi from Spain

Hi everyone. I'm a falconer and breeder from Spain. My breeding center is specialized in nordic owls and their training for hunting.
    Actually I'm flying a Great grey owl and training for hunting a siberian eagle owl, a snowy and my favorite, an ural owl.
    I would be happy to share with you my experience.
    Greetings !

P.S. my english is not perfect, I'll do my best...

Quote Originally Posted by keriana View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm a falconer and breeder from Spain. My breeding center is specialized in nordic owls and their training for hunting.
    Actually I'm flying a Great grey owl and training for hunting a siberian eagle owl, a snowy and my favorite, an ural owl.
    I would be happy to share with you my experience.
    Greetings !

P.S. my english is not perfect, I'll do my best...
    welcome to the party! Look forward to your stories. They'll becdifferent than what most are used to.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

welcome aboard would love to hear your experiences with owls. Especially using them for falconry.
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

Default hello

Where are you at in Spain? That is where I was first really introduced to falconry and I am currently researching to find what I want to do and what not. I look forward to your postings of things you are doing!

Laura Bates

Thanks for your welcome ! I would be very pleased to tell you some stories about owls.
    Laura, I live in the province of Tarragona near from the Ebro delta.
    Where have you been in Spain ?

For me it's time to go to bed. Good evening !

Welcome Keriana!

At the risk of being reprimanded for breaking forum rules (Fred), in the spirit of a warm welcome...

VivĆ* y estudiĆ© en la Universidad de AlcalĆ” de Henares durante un aƱo. EspaƱa es un lugar maravilloso.

I hope you will share some photos and/or videos of your owls hunting. I am also partial to owls.

Here is a photo of a lovely GHO that I trapped last year:

IMG_0107.jpg
    Katy "A dog is going to see you in one of two ways. You are either an asset or a hindrance to him." Brad Higgins

Hi, thank you for this nice picture !
    My husband has family in Alcala d'Henares and it's a beautiful and interesting town.
    You can trappe owls ?
    Anna Amparo SANCHEZ, King's of Spain Falconer
    Natural'Mente Nordic Owls (Spain)

Quote Originally Posted by keriana View Post
    You can trappe owls ?
    Yes, a falconer who has completed his apprenticeship (so is either a general or master falconer), and who is complying with both state and federal regulations can trap species that are listed as approved so long as the falconer is trapping within their state's trapping season.

The Great Horned Owl is a species approved for take.

That particular owl was not the bird I intended to trap that day. I intended to trap a passage red tail that was sitting on a pole along a tree line. Within moments of leaving the set I turned to see the red tail flying away fast. When I returned to the set, the beautiful owl was caught. It was released five minutes after being caught.
    Katy "A dog is going to see you in one of two ways. You are either an asset or a hindrance to him." Brad Higgins

Thanks for the explanations, Katy. Here, trapping birds of prey is now forbidden.
    Anyway, try to train an adult wild owl like this one would be absolutely hopeless.

I heard a lot of good things about the GHO, but unfortunately, I never had one. Someone fly this owl ?

Howdy
    Michael Beran, NAFA Southeastern Director "If it is to be, then it is up to me!"

Hi ! Thanks for the link Katy. It looks a very interesting post.

howdy Micheal!

Welcome to the forum, Anna!

I'm very interested in reading about what goes into training an owl for falconry that makes them different from hawks/eagles/falcons. Some day if you have the time, please give us a taste of your procedure/methods (keep the secret techniques to yourself if you must ). I'm sure it would make a very popular topic.

And, of course, many many pictures .
    Alex from Los Angeles A few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Hi Alex, thanks for your welcome.
    These days I'm a little bit buzy, but soon, I'll explain my methods or relate the training step by step of one of the five I have to prepare for this autumn.
    And many many picture, of course

Anna,
    I lived in Valencia for four months! = ) I traveled to Madrid, Morella, Peniscola, and Xativa as well. Spain is absolutely beautiful!
    Laura Bates

Hi Laura ! PeƱiscola is very near from my home (30 km) and I go often there. Morella is a beautiful medieval town, I love it.

Morella was my favorite next to the city of Valencia. The sounds of the sheep's bells ringing around the little town is nothing short of beautiful. I would imagine that there are many beautiful places to take your birds out hunting in the pueblos and what not. I had quite a conversation with a falconer in Valencia actually, and that is where I realized that I could do this.
    Hope all is well with you and your birds!
    Laura Bates

Thanks Laura !

Thread Information