Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nafa regional meet

Default Nafa regional meet

Well, not just being a Nafex member, lurker and occasional poster, I am now the Chairman of the first ever NAFA Regional Meet. Many of you NAFA members did not like the dates of our national meet being Thanksgiving week and in some cases, too far to travel. So, NAFA is trying to meet with all that wish to attend a NAFA function and there will be a Regional meet for those East of the Mississippi and next year, one West of the Rockies. There will still be the large NAFA meets held Thanksgiving week.
    This years Regional meet will be held in conjunction with the Pa. Falconry and Hawk Trust meet and the dates are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of Jan. 2013 in Lancaster, Pa.
    The area hosts a good number of upland game as well as some good opportunity for ducks. (And note: The occasional "Yard Grouse" have also been taken but not recommended.)
    All you need from out of state is a hunting license and they can be procured on-line from the Pa. Game Commission at www.pgc.state.pa.us/ Also being secured for hawking will be the Letterkenny Army Depot. Although an hour drive, it offers many hundreds of acres for our us during the meet.
    The PFHT, welcomes the first ever NAFA Regional meet and we do like to remind all that the first ever Falconry meet in the New World was held in Media Pa. back in the '30's.
    We are requesting vendors to show up and there will be a "Falconers Flea Market" for those of you wishing to pass along some of your long treasured falconry items. (Already there is one gentleman who will fill up a table with rare and collectable falconry books. And another will be bringing his collection of falconry tackle collected over 40 plus years.)
    We are also looking for sponsors for our hospitality meetings in the evenings. (Contact me to reserve a night.)
    To book a room contact the hotel directly at the following number. Be sure to include the ID for the meet to get our $74.00 rate:

Heritage Hotel
    Lancaster, Pa.
    (717)898-2431
    Our booking ID is: PFH010213

Shortly, we will be offering pre-registration via the NAFA website.

Feel free to contact me with questions and there will be more to follow in the next few weeks.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

See you there Michael. Looking forward to it. PA put on a great meet last year, and I would guess that this year will be another big success. Thank you for taking the lead in organizing this meet.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Hi Michael,

Thanks for doing all the leg work on the meet, I know it's a thankless job! I think having a regional NAFA meet in PA is fantastic as I've heard good things about the folks and country there.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Paul,
    I'ver heard and experienced the same from you all in New Mexico. It's great traveling to other states to hawk and meet other falconers. You learn so much.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Michael, I know you should have a good number of ducks. How the been in doves in Jan. how?? Is there any wild population of pheasants let in Pa.? In the 80's there was some around Chamberburg.
    Russell Whetstone

Quote Originally Posted by falcipiter View Post

Shortly, we will be offering pre-registration via the NAFA website.
    Hmmm, just heard about this today! Lots of questions will have to be answered first.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Michael:

Thanks for your help! Received my hotel confirmation today, and am very much looking forward to this event. If it is half as good as last years Pennsylvania Falconry & Hawk Trust Meet it will be great.

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER Guest

Mike, I see a big turnout for this meet based on summer get togethers with falconers out of state. I'm sure you have a team of people working on this event. I would like to throw a sky trial for the falconers during the meet. I was also thinking about scoping out the area for farms for small bird hawking with falcons. Let me know if this is already being done. I would think we could get voluteers (including myself) to secure enough fields (short and long wing) for the demand.

Another issue, do we register for both the PA and NAFA or just NAFA meet?

Jeff, would you look for some old barn with pigeons???
    Russell Whetstone

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER Guest

Quote Originally Posted by broken feather View Post
    Jeff, would you look for some old barn with pigeons???
    Yes, I'm going to google earth before I head out there in November/December to find the cut corn fields, silos and barns for starlings, morning doves and pigeons. I anticipate there will be a few falconers that are flying Merlins, Barbs and small falcons.

Jeff, I hunted western Pa. and western Md. most of my life. It could be a great meet!
    Russell Whetstone

So, made my reservation. We'll be coming in the day before the meet starts to do a little scouting.
    The young lady who booked me says " No pets allowed"
    Really? For a Falconry meet? My GSP ain't sleeping in the cold.
    John
    Still the finest hoods in Marshall.

John, Dogs ARE allowed.
    I hope you booked at the correct hotel. Here's the info....
    LOCATION: Heritage Hotel, Centerville (Lancaster Co.), PA ROOM RESERVATIONS: 717-755-0123, x-580; or 877-STAY-PLAY COST: $74 S/D, no smoking, pets allowed with no additional deposit, but, in the event of damage, guests will be charged an additional $100.

Just tell your GSP not to smoke in the hotel room, and you should be fine.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Thanks Scott.
    Yes, that's the place. I must have been given a little misinformation.
    John
    Still the finest hoods in Marshall.

Very much looking forward to this meet! I hope that many people from the area will be able to make it.

I for one am anxious to get my 1x intermewed RT ready for this meet and my trip to Kansas in November.

Are we supposed to register with PFHT and NAFA?
    ~Jessica

Just to let the group know, there are 110 signed up as pre-registered for the upcoming meet in Lancaster Pa in Jan.
    I am shooting for a total of 200 and if any of you or friends are planning on attending, please register on-line.
    http://www.n-a-f-a.com/regmeet/mirmr.htm

Rabbits, squirrels are up in numbers and there are ducks to be found as well. And you will be very surprised what the registration fee will get you. (You have to come to find out just what I have in store....)
    Looking forward to meeting any NAFEX member, and please introduce yourself to me as such.
    The PFHT has always done a top rate job and they are more than willing to accomodate all who come and hawk. We want to make this 1st Regional NAFA event one worth following up on and continued on the West Coast next year.
    See you in Amish Country.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

After talking with falcipiter about this meet, it should be a really good one. Lots of people and some important topics will be discussed.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Just to let the group know, there are 110 signed up as pre-registered for the upcoming meet in Lancaster Pa in Jan.
    I am shooting for a total of 200 and if any of you or friends are planning on attending, please register on-line.
    http://www.n-a-f-a.com/regmeet/mirmr.htm

Rabbits, squirrels are up in numbers and there are ducks to be found as well. And you will be very surprised what the registration fee will get you. (You have to come to find out just what I have in store....)
    Looking forward to meeting any NAFEX member, and please introduce yourself to me as such.
    The PFHT has always done a top rate job and they are more than willing to accomodate all who come and hawk. We want to make this 1st Regional NAFA event one worth following up on and continued on the West Coast next year.
    See you in Amish Country.
    Wrong link for registration Michael, folks please go to the NAFA meet page and follow that link. The link above is for Michael to enter mail in registration forms. On my phone, so hard to post the link.

Got it, go to this link to register.

http://www.n-a-f-a.com/regmeet/ormr.htm
    Fred

Fred,
    I am the reason they put erasers on pencils! Thanks for that.

Who all from here is going?
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

I'm registered... will see you there!
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

I'm headed up on the first, and very excited!
    Abby
    Doha, Qatar

We have a nice group of give-a-ways that is included with the registration. One thing, they made a mistake on the t-shirts. Instead of $9 ones that were very acceptable, the processor sent of $20 ones by mistake. All to our advantage!
    Also, I was in Harrisburg today giving a class to the Pa Game Commission for the new Game Protectors and first hand can tell you the game numbers are up in that part of the state.
    We are expecting a dusting of snow between now and the meet and that will make for perfect hawking conditions. (I ordered that by the way, thank you!)
    Again, looking forward to meeting all of you.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

I am signed up as well. Myself and Redtail71 aka Dave, will be rolling in on Thursday afternoon/evening. See you all there.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Quote Originally Posted by GONEHAWKN View Post
    I am signed up as well. Myself and Redtail71 aka Dave, will be rolling in on Thursday afternoon/evening. See you all there.
    There goes the neighborhood!
    David

We only go through this circus once, so enjoy the ride.

I'm coming on Wednesdayand staying til Sunday. I hope they have rabbits. My rabbit spots got wiped out by hurricane Sandy.
    Paul Scara

Trust assure. There are bunnies to be had. Now last year we had a similiar problem as we had very wet spring and fall. The numbers were the lowest I remember. Fortunately, they are recovered.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Michael,

Could you write something here about raffle donations, for those of us that would like to contribute to this meet? See you soon!
    Scott McNeff

Maine

The Conn falconers are sending a giant hood for the raffle
    John

Raffle? Did someone mention Raffle?
    Well, expect the best raffle you guys and girls have ever seen. Giant hoods, small hoods, complete telemetry setups, artwork, gloves, etc.etc.etc......
    Cheri Heimbach is gathering the goodies and we will have two days of raffles. See the registration page for her contact information) Friday and Saturday with several of the best items held for last, leftover tickets. (Keeps you all interested and on pins until the end.) And although Pa. law does not allow live raffle items, we will be having a leash and collar that fit perfectfly on a puppy Brittney Spaniel and nothing else and maybe a set of jesses and cuffs that fit a chamber raised, this season Harris Hawk.
    WOW! I can't wait.
    And finally, we are close enough to see the long term forecasts and the weather is going to be perfect. (As Chairman, I was in charge of that and as always, am pulling that one off, and am now taking credit.)
    There is still time to register on-line and Wednesday, my apprentices are coming to my house to stuff the registration packages and have some holiday cheer.
    It looks like we will be hosting around 200 falconers. Considering most NAFA Meets have 300-350 This is what we were striving for.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

It looks like we will be hosting around 200 falconers. Considering most NAFA Meets have 300-350 This is what we were striving for.
    excellent!! Looks like the folks have spoken!!
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

I'll be there, i'm hoping to see some of the guys that I met at last year's PFHT meet as well as fly with the guys I am booked nearby at the hotel with. I certainly hope for next years PFHT meet I'll have a bird to fly myself!
    Gregory E. Miller
    "Hunt hard, kill swiftly, waste nothing, offer no apologies." - Teddy Moritz/Unknown Origin

What kind of non res license do I need to chase starlings with my screaming misprint AK in PA
    Rob

Rob:

The Pennsylvania non-resident 7 day hunting license costs $31.70. You can purchase it on-line, however you cannot print it out on-line. The PA website states that it will be mailed to you within 7 to 10 days.

You can purchase one in New Jersey at the following agent locations:

BOB'S LITTLE SPORT SHOP, INC.

316 NORTH DELSEA DRIVE

GLASSBORO NJ, 08028

856-881-7575 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 856-881-7575 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

BULLET HOLE INC

78 RUTGERS ST

BELLEVILLE NJ, 07109

973-759-3968 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 973-759-3968 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

CHEYENNE MT OUTFITTERS LLC

691 ROUTE 130 UNIT B

ROBBINSVILLE, NJ, 08691

609-570-8430 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 609-570-8430 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

EFINGER SPORTING GOODS CO., INC.

513 WEST UNION AVENUE (ROUTE 28)

BOUND BROOK NJ, 08805

732-356-0604 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 732-356-0604 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

SAYREVILLE SPORTSMAN

52 WASHINGTON RD

SAYREVILLE, NJ, 08872

908-238-2060 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 908-238-2060 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

SPORTSMEN'S CENTER

ROUTE 130

BORDENTOWN NJ, 08505

609-298-5300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 609-298-5300

I plan on picking mine up at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA just off of Route 78 on my way out to the meet.
    Looking forward to seeing you at the meet.

Speaking of non-resident license, Michael or anyone else, is there a place in Lancaster that we can purchase one? I waited to buy mine online and like Joe said, found out I couldn't print it out and had to wait for them to mail it to me. So I am just going to get one Wednesday evening when I arrive. Can we buy one at Walmart, if there is one there?
    Fred

Fred:

Cabelas in Hamburg, PA is 47 miles from Lancaster about an hours drive away. They are opened Monday through Saturday 8:00am to 9:00pm. Worst case scenario you can purchase your license there.

I'm planning on driving up Thursday morning, and leaving on Sunday morning. Looking forward to seeing you at the meet.

Thread Information