Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nafa regional meet

Quote Originally Posted by joekoz View Post
    Fred:

Cabelas in Hamburg, PA is 47 miles from Lancaster about an hours drive away. They are opened Monday through Saturday 8:00am to 9:00pm. Worst case scenario you can purchase your license there.

I'm planning on driving up Thursday morning, and leaving on Sunday morning. Looking forward to seeing you at the meet.
    Thanks Joe! We will be coming up 81, so anyplace along that route once we get in PA will work. See you there!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Thanks Joe! We will be coming up 81, so anyplace along that route once we get in PA will work. See you there!
    On PA game commissions web site there is a list of agents there is quite a few .I believe a few years back I picked them up at a Wal-mart on the way to the PA Meet.I just wasn't sure if I needed it for chasing starlings. I mean it not like we're catching any.
    Rob

Looking forward to meeting all of you out of staters. A lot of effort, thought, and work have gone into this meet. Mike is really pouring it on. Certainly not an event to be missed. Rabbits and Squirrels have benefited this past year and are in number. The raffle holds even more surprises than mentioned previously.

Good luck and safe travels.

Mark D. Cusick
    Mark D. Cusick

As stated above, DO WE HAVE RAFFLE ITEMS!
    I just came from the international offices of Euro-Optics. They (meaning Seth Roy, who is on this list) have donated a new pair of Zeiss 10X42 binoculars!
    Make sure you all get with Dave Lowe who is the rafflemeister and buy lots of tickets.
    LATEST WEATHER REPORT: highs in the low 30's. Down into the teens at night. Clear every day of the meet. (Hey, since I'm in charge, I'll take credit for planning the weather too.)
    No reason not to attend.
    See you all there.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Are you sure that buying online and printing it out isnt enough for now? I thought that if you had the printout, it would prove you are legal until they mail you a permanent copy. I will have to do some reading on their site to verify I guess. Dang, thats what I get for waiting til the last minute. I remember a handful of years ago at one of the PA meets, the local stores didnt have any more hunting licenses after Jan 1st, they had sent their un-sold licenses back and we had to go to the courthouse or somewhere official. I dont think it will come to that though, we should be ok this close to the new year. I will check in the morning at the nearest place I know of to buy one and post here if I have a problem.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER Guest

Ken, you can get a license at the Lancaster County Treasury Office right near the Lancaster Courthouse . Hours 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.. Phone 717-299-8222. Appx. 15 minutes from the Hotel.

Interesting start to 2013 for me, came home yesterday to find my door kicked in and my computers, tv's, toaster oven, etc., along with my meet vacation money stolen. Had to spend my entire New Years Day putting up a new door and locks. Headed out this morning to the meet and stop at a spot to hunt bunnies and both my bird and Ling's scored a rabbit. On our way to Lancaster, so I really need a drink tonight. Oh yeah, they stole the booze I had bought to take with me and my duffle bag with my traveling clothes in it! Grrrrrrr!
    Fred

ouch man!!! least they didn't mess w/the birds.. I trust you've got the cops watchin yer stuff while yer gone
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

that really sucks Fred, what scumbags, need to have a 8 pound sledge come down on their hands with you swinging it!
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

where was your dog, that eats cats
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

Quote Originally Posted by skooky20 View Post
    where was your dog, that eats cats
    He was with me, unfortunately! And to top it off, when Ling arrived to pick me up, I ran back in the house to get my portable stainless steel bow perch that is stored in a case and they took that and my portable block perch. Probably had no clue what they were but they were in nice cases so they took them.
    Fred

I couldn't make it but was hoping somebody would post some pics. of the action. What's happin?
    I'm sitting at home jonesing.
    Help!
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

Quote Originally Posted by hawkstir View Post
    I couldn't make it but was hoping somebody would post some pics. of the action. What's happin?
    I'm sitting at home jonesing.
    Help!
    evidently too busy hawking to post pix yet..expect it's banquet time now..I'm sure Michael will post something once he catches his breath
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

It was great to see everyone that was there. We had some great gripping and grinning sessions. Hawking was ok. Game was scarce and spots were pretty few and far between. All in all it was a good time with a bunch of great people!
    David

We only go through this circus once, so enjoy the ride.

EmmyLou scores!!!!!!

Ling's HH caught a couple!

Fred

WAY TO GO FRED AND EL!!!! It was a blast hawking and hanging out with you Fred! Nice to meet you Ling! Take care guys and have a safe trip home tomorrow!
    David

We only go through this circus once, so enjoy the ride.

Fred!!!
    Rich in Illinois....

http://library.adach.ae/en/eshopping....falconry.aspx

Ref Ken's Book.

This is for Rich for some reason I could not post on the other thread.
    Last edited by redtailnut; 01-06-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: cross post
    One dream one soul, one prize One goal It's a kind of Magic
    Mike..

Default First Meet

My son and I are aspiring falconers. This was our first meet, first contact and first real experience with falconry aside from reading and knowledge gained from the internet. Before the meet we had talked to several in the art even a possible sponsor.
    Then came the meet, a little nervous sure but excited to learn and meet people practicing the art of falconry. The ART? I thought it was a sport but was corrected and soon experienced why it was an art.

art

Noun

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
    Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Synonyms craft - skill - artifice - science - workmanship - knack

I went out hawking several times and saw what I am sure is just a few of the creatives ways one uses these majestic creatures to hunt. The science of it, the skill it takes, the breath taking flights and the thrill of the chase and catch. It is an Art, Thank You for showing me.

I also found a very tight nit group of people that were passonite about Falconry and willing to share there knowledge of it with strangers once they changed from there blaze orange ( I know better now). We asked a lot of questions and we were accepted and invited to tag along. We met some interesting people, listened to some cool stories and created a few of our own. I had a weekend that will not be forgotten anytime soon.

I appoligized to a few for what is coming, I am HOOKED. I will be bugging you soon. LETS GO HAWKIN

THANKS TO ALL for a great and memorable weekend,
    Roma Altimus Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime33 View Post
    My son and I are aspiring falconers. This was our first meet, first contact and first real experience with falconry aside from reading and knowledge gained from the internet. Before the meet we had talked to several in the art even a possible sponsor.
    Then came the meet, a little nervous sure but excited to learn and meet people practicing the art of falconry. The ART? I thought it was a sport but was corrected and soon experienced why it was an art.

art

Noun

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
    Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Synonyms craft - skill - artifice - science - workmanship - knack

I went out hawking several times and saw what I am sure is just a few of the creatives ways one uses these majestic creatures to hunt. The science of it, the skill it takes, the breath taking flights and the thrill of the chase and catch. It is an Art, Thank You for showing me.

I also found a very tight nit group of people that were passonite about Falconry and willing to share there knowledge of it with strangers once they changed from there blaze orange ( I know better now). We asked a lot of questions and we were accepted and invited to tag along. We met some interesting people, listened to some cool stories and created a few of our own. I had a weekend that will not be forgotten anytime soon.

I appoligized to a few for what is coming, I am HOOKED. I will be bugging you soon. LETS GO HAWKIN

THANKS TO ALL for a great and memorable weekend,
    Roma Altimus Jr.
    Struggle hard Roma! Hooked fish get off of the line all the time. Tell your selfs that it is: too difficult, too expensive, too gov't intrusive, it is cruel, too time consuming, there may not be enough game in your area, your wife/girlfriend may leave you. lol. Come on, you can get free! Just cause the folks here have wrecked there live for sport, why should you?
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Don't really think "art" describes my relationship with falconry. "Addiction" and "religion" are closer to it.
    Dan Cowan

Scott McNeff

Maine

It was really a great time! I really enjoyed meeting some new faces and hearing some great hawking stories (I will never hunt near a deer farm). I hope everyone has a great remainder of the season!
    Melissa Sutton
    The field always separates the hawkers from the talkers!

Quote Originally Posted by dcowan View Post
    Don't really think "art" describes my relationship with falconry. "Addiction" and "religion" are closer to it.
    Dan, i could not agree more....Melissa, sorry we did not get a chance to chat more than the few seconds that we saw each other. I hope you have a great rest of the season folks...
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Scott, thanks for posting the pictures.
    To all that attended: It was very humbling the show of appriciation I received. It made up for the countless sleepless nights and last night I slept like a rock!
    It is the behind the scenes that really make for a successful meet and if not for the work of Fred Fogg, I'd still be shaking and worrying about the numbers.
    To me, seeing all the newbees and young falconers there, made me feel that our "Art", will thrive and continue.
    (And I will say it again, the raffle was not rigged that the one running it actually was picked for the first winning number! It was pure kismet ;-) )
    I'm glad you all had a good time.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

So bummed I could not come up for this since my in-laws live just over the river in idyllic horse country with lots of nice hunting spots.

I did get an interesting email from my father in law who is an avid cyclist in Lancaster county who tells me that one of his friends was hit by a "falcon" while he was biking last week. The email was hilarious. He said he heard a loud sound and something like a Harrier jet came down almost smacking him in the head =). He stopped and turned around to see a strange guy with a stick and a big glove waving at him. The guy apologized and said the bird was his and "was in love with him" (the bikers words) and was jealous of the biker. The bird came back and buzzed him again striking him in his helmet. At that point, he took off. I wish i could post the entire email. Ill ask permission cause it was priceless. =)

Anyone fess up to an imprint with a taste for cyclist? And do you get a badge for that? =)

I thoroughly enjoyed the company I had. We had an interesting dinner at the Apple Tree, many laughs were had. I got to watch Dave's Hope fly and talk hood with Bill. Some nice flights with Corey's RT when we did find squirrels. We struggle to find a good place to hunt the first couple of days, but made up for it on the last day with plenty of bunny slips.

Thanks to Michael for all his hard work!
    Ling A.
    “If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.”

That cycle hitting falcon has been officially retired! It did the same thing again at the meet and before it becomes a real problem, the owner is going to send her to a breeder. That bird hit me last year at our state meet and for it, the falconer received a White Hard Hat for all of the observers that go out with him. Of course it was presented at the banquet with a lot of pomp.
    We do bust on one another, don't we?
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Ive got to get permission to post that email. I about had coffee spewing from my nose this morning reading it =).

Thanks for posting the pictures. It shows how great this meet was. Sadly, there are those of us who live on the other side of the US that couldn't make it to the meet. We were left to go out hawking slaying those jack rabbits in our area.
    Jim
    New Mexican

It was a real privilege to have the opportunity to hawk with Fred, Ling, Bill, Richard, Dave, Brandon, etc. I will post a bunch of pictures soon.
    Thank you to all those involved in the planning of this awesome event.
    Corey

Great job Michael &Crew!! and love that print!!!!!
    Rich in Illinois....

I had a great time at the meet, it was good to spend some time hawking with friends. PFHT always puts on a good meet, and this one was even better. Sorry I didn't get a chance to go out hawking with more of you, the days went by quickly. Our group found good numbers of rabbits and squirrels (caught 3), and the weather was near perfect for my tastes (I would have liked some snow but I'm not complaining). I was impressed with how much game was caught at the meet... a real testimony to the high quality of falconers we've got around here!

I hope everyone would agree that the idea of a regional meet was a proven success... hopefully something that continues. Any ideas for where this should be next? Maybe Ohio or Indiana would be good? Are the regional meets planned for every year?
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

This was the first Falconry meet I've ever attended. Pulling up to the hotel I saw a lot of grizzled looking men milling about the parking lot. I thought to myself, "Well, this could be heaven or this could be hell." The old Eagles song ringing through my ears.

It turned out to be just heaven. Everyone I met was more than welcoming. It was a blast seeing Seth's goshawk take a rabbit. And watching Jeff's peregrine take a stoop at a duck was amazing. Watching it fly down to the lure from about 800 feet up was just as cool.

Mike you did a great job with everything. All the time you put into organizing this event showed. The banquet was spot on. Seeing the camaraderie between fellow Falconers is really encouraging. I don't think you'll find that sort of thing very often these days.

Thank you everyone. I look forward to seeing you all again in the future.
    Bryon L

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER Guest

I was impressed with all of the women falconers that attended the meet walking around confidently with big hen Redtails and notable game count.

Thread Information