Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nafa regional meet

Falconers are a fabulous group of people and even better in numbers. This event really gets the mouth drooling for the NAFA national meet. The quality of people, attitudes, politeness, affability and willingness to share are unparalleled to any other group I have encountered. Thanks to all that came, it was a blast.

I have read that the game was scarce? I could not disagree more. One twelve year old apprentice took three head of game and was only stopped because we could not find the hawk and she had cropped up on her kill. Another second year apprentice got three head as well. I personally took one head of game and had more than enough slips to get me to four. The meet chairman even found enough time to elicit two head himself.

We were fortunate to have a local take us to some of his spots, but most of the time, we were freestyling. This type of allocation proved just as good as the locals places. Most of these places were all around the hotel. We did not drive more than ten minutes to find any of them. We even hit places other falconers had just left and kicked up game. You do have to play to win.
    Great thanks to Michael Kuriga. He put meet that will be hard to surpass. Good luck to those that try. Good luck and Godspeed.
    Mark D. Cusick

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
    I hope everyone would agree that the idea of a regional meet was a proven success... hopefully something that continues. Any ideas for where this should be next? Maybe Ohio or Indiana would be good? Are the regional meets planned for every year?
    Ken, Meant to catch up with you and talk but you know how the week was. LOL I don't know the specifics but I believe the thought process is to have it east coast, then west coast, etc. So somewhere out west next year. I don't want to drive that far with a raptor but someday I want to fly out to a west coast regional NAFA meet and see how it is done out there. I think it would be a really fun time. And yeah, I think Ohio or Indiana the next east coast regional meet would be great.

I had a great time at the meet and it was fun talking to folks and I really wish I could have met and talked to everyone but we were busy out beating the brush every day trying to find rabbits. As Ling said, it was tough at first but we did eventually find them.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would like to thank everyone who let me tag along last week. I had a great time meeting and hanging out with all the fellow falconers.

Michael you did a great job organizing this meet. I look forward to the next one.

I hope to see some of you guys next weekend at the Harrisonburg meet.
    Brandon Porterfield

Another wonderful meet... I have been going to PFHT meets since I was 13 (now 26) and every time we get together it is like seeing extended family that you only get to see once or twice a year. Nothing but good memories to take away from this one for myself, and i'm sure many others. Will post some pics when I get a chance.
    A. Seth Roy

so who got the "rubber chicken award" and the "teddy bear/D.I.O. Award"???
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    Unless I am mistaken I believe that would be Abby who received the award for taking the "Yard Grouse". I remember Micheal calling someone up to the podium and presenting them with a small stuffed bear, but I can't remember who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by joekoz View Post
    Unless I am mistaken I believe that would be Abby who received the award for taking the "Yard Grouse". I remember Micheal calling someone up to the podium and presenting them with a small stuffed bear, but I can't remember who it was.
    Michael said he'd send me pix, but I couldn't wait ta hear. Thanks Joe
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

I can't name names but here you go:
    A particular young female falconers HH deceided to fill up of something that resembled turkey vulture vomit. She one the DIO award. She also caught a yard grouse but so did someone else and he got it. In fact, this meet was a highlight in yard grouse taken and had the record of THREE in one day! Way to go.
    And the only Pa. falconer to win the special Rubber Ducky award was one that refused to cross a creek to retreive his falcon and duck when he was already up to his hip in water where the ice had just melted. Consequently, the duck made its escape.
    So, I highly reccommend that other clubs pick up the baton and add these special awards at you field meets:
    The D.I.O. (Dead Inantimate object) award.
    The Rubber Ducky Award
    and The Dead Chicken Award
    NAFA should sanction these as official and highly sought after goals for any aspiring falconer.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Quote Originally Posted by falcipiter View Post
    I can't name names but here you go:
    A particular young female falconers HH deceided to fill up of something that resembled turkey vulture vomit. She one the DIO award. She also caught a yard grouse but so did someone else and he got it. In fact, this meet was a highlight in yard grouse taken and had the record of THREE in one day! Way to go.
    And the only Pa. falconer to win the special Rubber Ducky award was one that refused to cross a creek to retreive his falcon and duck when he was already up to his hip in water where the ice had just melted. Consequently, the duck made its escape.
    So, I highly reccommend that other clubs pick up the baton and add these special awards at you field meets:
    The D.I.O. (Dead Inantimate object) award.
    The Rubber Ducky Award
    and The Dead Chicken Award
    NAFA should sanction these as official and highly sought after goals for any aspiring falconer.
    glad they went to good homes. Might have to add, "All My Falcon Caught was a Thermal Award" to the list as well

Thanks Michael
    Rich in Illinois....

My AK caught a french frie at the meet and she didn't want to give it up she thought she really had something.
    Rob

In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

I had a wonderful time at the meet, there were so many great people and great birds! I hope that the regional meets continue in the future, as they brought together falconers who may never have crossed paths were it not for this event.
    The DIO award was won by my FHH who found what looked like vulture vomit (or crap with meaty bits in it, no one was sure) and started horking it down. I picked her up and threw her into a tree, where she sat for a few minutes before throwing up the stuff, then looked really closely at it like she was going to eat it again. She also caught a barred yard grouse and three squirrels.
    I didn't use my camera at all while there, too busy hawking and talking!
    Here's some photos from my friend Jenn Campbell-Smith. She has hundreds of photos from the meet and is a first-year apprentice.
    Me, Ken Aubin and Chris Tocco with first year FHHs Rogue, Jade and Sapphire and the catch of the last day.

This was our "young falconers" table, 8/10 of us sitting at the table were falconers.

We called this the VIP table, making use of Jenn's computer on short notice:

Jeff Finch brought along this stunning beauty, and has been taking quarry with it. He also had the completely white RT last year. Lucky duck!

And Patrick Miller took these photos of my FHH:

Abby
    Doha, Qatar

Great pics. it was nice meeting everyone.
    Rob

so who got the "rubber chicken award"
    Rich,I couldn't make it to the meet,so I'm not sure.

Hey by the way, I had this guy show up at my house today. He wanted to know if I knew where a certain Connecticut falconer lived. Said he wanted to go out hawking with him.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by laj View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the company I had. We had an interesting dinner at the Apple Tree, many laughs were had. I got to watch Dave's Hope fly and talk hood with Bill. Some nice flights with Corey's RT when we did find squirrels. We struggle to find a good place to hunt the first couple of days, but made up for it on the last day with plenty of bunny slips.

Thanks to Michael for all his hard work!
    It was a pleasure to meet you Ling! Your hood look great man! I look forward to HOPEfully hawking with you in the future. Take care and until next time, happy hawking!
    David

We only go through this circus once, so enjoy the ride.

The dead chicken award went to me this year thanks to my raptors impressive taking of Gallus Gallus Domesticus Unfortunately that was all we managed to grab but it was still a great time.
    Matt Zingarella
    New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without anyother reason but because they are not already common. - John Locke

It appears you folks had a good deal of fun. I am all for these regional NAFA meets that are outside of the midwest where the NAFA meet normally takes place; it provides a good opportunity for NAFA members to get together and enjoy themselves without having to put a lot of money to do so.

Bill Boni

Our Gracious Hosts: Patrick and Rob
    A. Seth Roy

My former apprentice Mark and myself with my gos. It took about 15 beaters 30 minutes to show him a rabbit, but one was all it took....

A. Seth Roy

Seth, GREAT seeing you there! I wish I could have visited with you more. And thanks also for the extremely generous raffle donation. Zingarella (who posted here above you) will enjoy those binoculars for the rest of his life. He's a lucky dude to have them. (good hangin' with you too Matt) It was a 10 hour drive door to door for me, but totally worth the trip! Another good meet for sure! Looking forward to seeing all of you next time.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Scott, it is always a pleasure seeing you as well. I wanted to make it a point to talk with ya, but alas we were never able to get together for any amount of time. There is always next time....
    I hope you had an uneventful drive home and that your wife enjoyed herself. Your presence at our meet always affirms to me your commitment to NAFA and your role as the eastern director. Thank you
    A. Seth Roy

Quote Originally Posted by royale26 View Post
    Scott, it is always a pleasure seeing you as well. I wanted to make it a point to talk with ya, but alas we were never able to get together for any amount of time.
    Seth, that Scotch didn't get in the way, did it? LOL
    Fred

Hey, wait a minute!! Seth had Scotch with him?! I would have hitched my saddle to his if I'd known that! (Hey Fred, by the way,... thanks for the bourbon on Saturday! I owe you one!)

Seth, All kidding aside, "there is always next time."
    And if you ever want to bring your birds up to the coast of Maine and kill some black ducks, you and the wife have a place to stay here. Or come when the season is over, and enjoy some time on the beach.
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Seth, that Scotch didn't get in the way, did it? LOL
    Scotch never gets in the way. Now Jack, he can hold ya up some
    Rich in Illinois....

Default Game??

We took several people out and had 17 squirrels in 12 trees. We had so much game but many falconers birds were not on....It was a crying shame.......my male NA gos was on fire all week and had a rabbit every day...........cheers.....jm
    Last edited by Dirthawking; 01-11-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Removed topic that was not needed.
    "You Promote What You Permit"...Hawkaholic Jim

Scotch never gets in the way. Now Jack, he can hold ya up some
    I had a bottle of single barrel Jack that I took care of while I was up there and he never got in my way!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    I had a bottle of single barrel Jack that I took care of while I was up there and he never got in my way!
    So someone other than Jack held you up, nice ta have friends, eh?
    Rich in Illinois....

The PFHT has a few of the meet prints available and they are being offered for $35. They are Art Gallery quality and signed and numbered.
    Also, I have plenty of long sleeved shirts that are going for only $10 (Only mens Large and X-Large avalible.
    PM me with your zip code and what you want, I will calculate the costs.

What a great time we all had!
    Cheers,
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Michael, I would like a meet print and 2 T shirts for Robyn and I. I will pick them up in April when I come back to Pa. Let me know the cost and I will send you a check.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeakehawk View Post
    Jeff Finch brought along this stunning beauty, and has been taking quarry with it. He also had the completely white RT last year. Lucky duck!
    Ummm.... I feel kinda silly because nobody has asked.... but what kind of bird is this??
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Nevermind, Ornate Hawk Eagle. I have seen them mentioned here and there on forums, but never bothered to search what they looked like. Pretty impressive plumage!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

I know this is an older thread but do you have any of the NAFA prints still? That gos is awesome... Thanks...
    Brian ~ Indiana

Yes we do. I believe that Cherri has a few left.
    Will contact her today and give you a way to get one a little later.
    That is a nice print.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Awesome Thank you... I may want a few if possible one to keep and some to give as gifts... :-)
    Brian ~ Indiana

PM me and I will give you her contact information.
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Thread Information