Thread: Dylan from Plainfield, CT

Default Dylan from Plainfield, CT

My names Dylan. I'm out of the north eastern part of CT. I'm 20 years old and as responsible as most adults today (sometimes more haha..). Been interested in falconry for a while now but just cant seem to find anyone else from CT that practices falconry and that's what brought me here. If you or even someone you know in the general area is willing to help me out in the sport even if you don't want to be a sponsor (understandable) and are just willing to give me some info on events or other people in the area or even if your willing to bring me on a hunt or 2 that would be great. Anything is better than nothing. Please email me at dylanlefevre@hotmail.com or message me on here and I'll try to keep up with this forum. Thanks so much.

Hey Dylan, Welcome to NAFEX! Take a look at the Green Forum Rules on the bar above. There aren't many falconers in CT as it is one of the last states to legalize falconry. There is a NAFA and PA joint meet in Lancaster, PA January 2-5th and from what I have seen on the registration, there will be several folks from CT there. Also, there is a falconer club in CT called the Connecticut Falconers Association, it probably would be a good idea to join their club and get to know the members. You can also join NAFA (North American Falconers Association) which will give you access to a list of NAFA members that live in CT. Good luck on your journey, it takes a lot of effort but is well worth it in the long run.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I apologize for not reading the rules before posting. But any who I actually looked on the Ct falconers site before coming here but they seemed to not posted anything since sometime late in 2011. But I did email the person who ran the site though and asked him. And I also just joined NAFA about an hour ago and found someone right in the town next to me that does it. Emailed him and got his number also just in case the email is dead. So hopefully he is still hunting and I'm praying that will be my start. The funny part of it is, is that about a year ago, someone was actually hunting with a red tail hawk right in the woods behind my house. The unfortunate part is that I wasn't home and my dad didn't know I was interested in falconry and actually looking for someone to help me. I haven't seen him since and I'm not sure if its someone who lives near me or not but no one around me has any mews in there yards that I know of. But I do appreciate the help and hopefully something works out for me. Maybe even someday I will be a general or master falconer and I can teach some apprentices and get CT's falconry going a little more. Thanks alot.

-Dylan Lefevre

Quote Originally Posted by dml1010 View Post
    I apologize for not reading the rules before posting. But any who I actually looked on the Ct falconers site before coming here but they seemed to not posted anything since sometime late in 2011. But I did email the person who ran the site though and asked him. And I also just joined NAFA about an hour ago and found someone right in the town next to me that does it. Emailed him and got his number also just in case the email is dead. So hopefully he is still hunting and I'm praying that will be my start. The funny part of it is, is that about a year ago, someone was actually hunting with a red tail hawk right in the woods behind my house. The unfortunate part is that I wasn't home and my dad didn't know I was interested in falconry and actually looking for someone to help me. I haven't seen him since and I'm not sure if its someone who lives near me or not but no one around me has any mews in there yards that I know of. But I do appreciate the help and hopefully something works out for me. Maybe even someday I will be a general or master falconer and I can teach some apprentices and get CT's falconry going a little more. Thanks alot.

-Dylan Lefevre
    Dylan, once you get you accepted into NAFA (they will send you an email) and they give you the ID and PW for the NAFA website, go into the Members Section of the website and use the Member Lookup function. Just type in CT in the State field and it will give you a list of NAFA members in CT and you can click on each member to get some contact information. Also, as I said before, if you have the time and can get down to the PA meet in Lancaster, you can see some great falconry and try and meet the CT falconers that are there.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

They offered a free trial kind of thing for beginners so I signed up through that and I did basically what you said and found some one right near me (the only one out of the total 6 or 7 on my side of the state) who is a member. So I emailed him and hopefully he is still an active falconer and hopefully that's my foot in the door. I'm definitely going to check out that meet and hopefully I can make it to it. Thanks for all the help. It's definitely appreciated.

-Dylan
    -Dylan Lefevre

Hello Dylan, I think there are only 6 guys hunting in CT this season. Work and/or family issues knocked a bunch of us out this year,me included.
    I'm on the other side of the state from you.I go out just about every Saturday with a couple of my buddies here.
    If you want to make the drive,I'm sure they'ed let you come along.It would be squirrel hawking with a Red tail and Harris.Although with a new guy along we(and by we,I mean you) may wade into the briars for a bunny.
    Nick
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelhawkin View Post
    .....Although with a new guy along we(and by we,I mean you) may wade into the briars for a bunny.
    Nick
    Bwhaahhahaha. That'll see what color ya bleed. g'luck Dylan, Nick's a good guy and I'm sure he won't letcha suffer alone.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Briars are fine by me. Ive lived in the woods my whole life. Where i live it seems the only thing we have is thorn and picker bushes haha. What town are you guys hunting in? Ill be willing to make a trip.
    -Dylan Lefevre

Quote Originally Posted by dml1010 View Post
    Briars are fine by me.
    Great!,'cause we won't even listen to the crying unless it takes at least a few stiches to stop the bleeding.

I went out hawking with one of the guys today and asked about you coming along. He said no problem. I'll send you a pm with his email address so you can set it up.
    Nick

Haha I would probably laugh if someone said they needed stitches from briars. Also talked to Kevin today and I should be going with him Thursday or so on a hunt. Cant wait. The funny part of it is that believe it or not, he hunts right behind my house and was actually there today but I've never seen him out there myself or been able to meet him out there. Talk about a small world.
    -Dylan Lefevre

Dylan i'm from CT as well and I'm just getting into Falconry.

Thread Information