Thread: Hi from Central Florida

Smile Hi from Central Florida

Hi all! Newbie from Florida here. (I live near Orlando Florida.) I do not have a bird or a sponser yet. I am still in the research stage. Getting close to being ready to try to find someone to train me soon though ! I hope I can find a great person to learn from. I have been reading a lot falconry books, doing online research, and plan to go to a local raptor center to volunteer soon too. Thanks for letting me tag along to learn things, I will try to not be too much of a pest. Thanks! Mary Sharp

Welcome aboard Mary!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Hello and Welcome
    Michael Beran, NAFA Southeastern Director "If it is to be, then it is up to me!"

welcome
    Raymond

Talking

Thank you so much! Loving all the pics and learning a lot!!! Thanks! Mary Sharp

Hey Mary! Welcome to the forum and thanks for the compliment on my bird, Breeze! You're right - I AM happy in the pictures and enjoying my bird more than I can convey. He's awesome!

Study up for your exam, get a good sponsor, put your mews together and come join us! A bird requires a good bit of your time, but they are totally worth it. Doesn't feel like work - it's just too much fun! Doing some cleaning in my mews last week, had to lock my bird out in the weathering yard area to get him to let me do it. He's a character - kept flying in and landing on my fist to observe what I was doing. He wasn't looking for food; I don't feed in the mews so he would have no reason to expect anything to eat. Simply very curious and wanted a close up view of what was going on! Maybe he figured I needed close supervision - after all, it was his living quarters being messed with.

Again, welcome to the site!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Enjoy your journey!! It's all worth it !!!
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Smile TY!

Thanks, I am loving it so far. Nice pic of you and your bird by the way! Take care! Mary Sharp

Hi Mary,welcome to the forum.I would say you live in a good place for what you want to do.The Avian Reconditioning center in Apopka(north Orlando)can always use volunteers and there's a fair amount of Falconers so finding a sponsor shouldn't be a problem for someone serious about it.Good luck
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Also the Florida Hawking Fraternity's annual meet is this weekend.It's a great way to meet the local falconers.
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Thanks for the heads up! That is the place I was going to go check out! ;0). Is the FHF meet members only do you know? Where is it going to be? Will people have their birds with them? Ohh! I am getting excited! I hope it is nearby! I am going to try to find their website right now! Thanks! Mary Sharp.

The FHF meet is in Sebring, Fl. If you are not a member you will be able to join right at the meet. Many people do bring and hunt with their birds.
    All the best
    Nick Yashko

Thread Information