Thread: Hello from Jupiter, Florida

Default Hello from Jupiter, Florida

Hello! My name is Ashley Bonsignore and today my boyfriend and I witnessed our first falconry demonstration at the Renaissance Festival in Deerfield Beach. It was absolutely breath-taking, despite it being so controlled and lectured. Upon getting back home I began looking up videos, finding that the idea of actually getting into this sport greatly appealing. I find the bond of sorts between the raptor and his/her partner to be...gosh, what word can I use that doesn't sound too childish? I was thinking magical, but that makes me sound like a five year old.

As of right now I am VERY interested in getting my feet wet and am looking for maybe someone who will take me on a hunt. I am interested in a Sponsor, but right now I think going on a hunt would be better. I am a college student and work every day at Lighthouse Elementary as an Aftercare Counselor...and so I am concerned about what kind of time I have available for any kind of full-time commitment. I have heard of Timothy O'Neil being the Falconer closest to me.

I am interested in ANY kind of information and/or help. Any takers?

Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Thank you so much! Can you tell me a bit about your hawks and how you got started?

Tim's a great guy and I'm sure he'll take you on a hunt with his harris's hawk.Falconry is very time consuming so It doesn't sound very plausible for you at this time.However getting to know the local falconers is a great way to get a lead on a sponsor for when your situation changes(especially if you helping flush rabbits for them)
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Thank you very much! My schedule is basically this...I work every day from 1-6, and take night classes until 9 o'clock on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Can any of y'all give me a little insight on an average day in the life of a Faconer? My weekends are ABSOLUTELY free as well.

Is there anyone near me who wouldn't mind taking my boyfriend and I out on a hunt?...
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by rri32701 View Post
    Tim's a great guy and I'm sure he'll take you on a hunt with his harris's hawk.Falconry is very time consuming so It doesn't sound very plausible for you at this time.However getting to know the local falconers is a great way to get a lead on a sponsor for when your situation changes(especially if you helping flush rabbits for them)
    Hey thanks Robert! I am no long winger though like the "real" falconers. How is my boy tidbit? Catch any ducks lately?
    Timothy Powers O'Neill, Esq. Tequesta, FL
    It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody. ~Brendan Behan

How did y'all start out doing this Art? Is anyone willing to tell me about his/her FIRST hawk?
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by toneill100 View Post
    Hey thanks Robert! I am no long winger though like the "real" falconers. How is my boy tidbit? Catch any ducks lately?
    Hey Tim just trying to recuit someone to help flush rabbits for you.Funny you ask about Drogo(not tidbit),he just got chased by another eagle today.Yesterday I flushed a duck,found him a few min.later eating an egret.Let this girl get first hand experience dirthawking.Rabbit hawking should be good right now.My brother got 6 flushes the other morning out by himself with his 2 harris's
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Lol. Thank you for the support. Can anyone explain to me the Apprentice's process? What makes up the two years? Is it really two years?
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Yes its a full 2 years starting from the date your permit is issued.In that time you need to have a acceptable BOP for some where around 4 1/2 months each year.Weather its one or you trapped one each year is up to your sponsor.You have to pass a test,then have your mews inspected and then have a letter from your sponsor sent in with your application.It takes around 3 months from testing to get your permit.Trapping starts Sept 15th.California study guide,The Redtailed Hawk and The Falconers Apprentice are what I'd consider must have books(since your first bird will probably be a RT)All are available at Western sporting supply.
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

So I catch my BOP during the two years? Where will he/she stay if I have no muse?
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by BarefootCoyote View Post
    So I catch my BOP during the two years? Where will he/she stay if I have no muse?
    test & mews before bird
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Okay. So test. Sponsor. Mews & Gear. Bird. 2 years.

Gottcha! Thanks. Has anyone ever kept a red shoulder? Curious.
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Ashley, I think numerous people have directed you to www.themodernapprentice.com (including myself). A lot of the questions you're asking about the process are clearly outlined there.

As far as hawking stories, what got you started, first birds etc., if you'll look through the archives of this forum you'll find numerous day to day accounts of people training their first birds and stories of how people got started.

You have to understand that every "newbie" that jumps on these lists asks those same questions, do a little searching around on NAFEX, the information is there you just have to look. You could spend years reading through the archives of this forum to learn about the sport.

And you're doing the right thing, find a falconer and go do some hawking. Hopefully Tim or one of the other contacts I gave you will invite you out.

Good luck.
    Eric Edwards

I am sorry. I was just curious about the people around me and was trying to make conversation. Those books are DEFINATELY on my 'must-get' list. Thank you!
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

I am sorry. I was just curious about the people around me and was trying to make conversation. Those books are DEFINATELY on my 'must-get' list. Thank you!
    No problem and I'd certainly encourage conversation and you may get a few replies, but you'll find a lot of your answers in the archives if you don't get many responses.

Not sure what books you're referring to, www.themodernapprentice.com is a website with lots of info for FREE, not a book.
    Eric Edwards

I would also check out this forum. http://apfalconry.proboards.com/index.cgi It was very helpful to me when I started out.
    Emily Huf - West Bend, WI

Thank you very much! My schedule is basically this...I work every day from 1-6, and take night classes until 9 o'clock on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Can any of y'all give me a little insight on an average day in the life of a Faconer? My weekends are ABSOLUTELY free as well.
    Sounds like good opportunity for morning hawking during the week if you ask me. Not every successful falconer has an ideal schedule for it, but if you really love it you'll find ways to make it work. The flip side of that is knowing when to put off getting started or taking some time off from falconry if life prevents you from practicing the sport with the attention it deserves. You sound like you have the right attitude about learning, so I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck!
    ~Matt (formerly of Tampa)
    Dogs are my favorite kind of people.

Thank y'all so very much! I am beyond excited to get my feet wet. I appreciate all the useful advice and encouragement.
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Honestly, it sounds like you have a better schedule than most of us. I work 6:30am to 3pm. I have to really rush to get a quick afternoon hunt in during the short winter days.

But, other than finding time, you need to be really sure you're the falconer type. You can't be squeamish of squealing bunnies or bloody hands. You need to be near fanatically obsessive. The birds need care every day. How do you feel about a freezer full of frozen rodents? Or thawing rodents in your sink? Or bits of rat in your fridge? Can you consistently find game for your bird? Do you like the idea of wading through waist high briar patches several days a week? Most people aren't crazy enough to enjoy all those things. But if you answered yes to all of the above, it's a helluva ride.
    Scott Wright

Lol! My Ma would die if I put frozen rodents in the fridge. But I'd probably find a way to get a mini freezer to store somehow outside in the mews. I'll figure a way.
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Ashley,
    Where you go from here can be varied. You could go out to the cane fields to the west and see rabbits caught. You could just go out to your nearest beach in October and see Peregrine Falcons migrate. I used to look accross to Jupiter, the riled inlet of the Indian River was always in turmoil,with bluefish and their predators, from the southern tip of Hutchinson Isalnd,where there are old falcon catching blinds from many years past, and wish the falcons gentle an easy passage to their winter homes.

I envy your position; Hobe Sound, I can not imagine where is wild still and where is developed. 1973 seems so long ago. My last peregrine falcon encounter was in a parking lot in Jenson Beach. Go back to the native shorebirds young lady, forget these cityfied pigeons.
    Eric

I see BOP everywhere....it's fantastic where I live. I am in the depths of the farms...Hungryland is a stones throw from me which hold deep woods. I see this same Kestrel every morning on the road. I pass him everyday. It's awesome! I am blessed.
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Yeomanfalconer Guest

I see BOP everywhere....it's fantastic where I live. I am in the depths of the farms...Hungryland is a stones throw from me which hold deep woods. I see this same Kestrel every morning on the road. I pass him everyday. It's awesome! I am blessed.
    The south Florida woods can be seductive, enjoy, with care as there are homo sapiens there too who have predatory inclinations. To the beach is where I would send you, there are strange,perverted humans there too, but the ocean breeze might lull you to sleep, there is great beauty there on the coast. The warm, murmering ocean is always there to protect and sooth you. It is hard to believe that it will provide falcons and game fish for those that spend time and watch. A pistol might help to protect the scene. Just keep it hidden when the sherriff asks what you are doing there. Having it is afterall, your right as an American. To capture a falcon is too, just less understood by the average Joe.

Might I add a book suggestion? North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks by Beebe/Webster is the one I have been pointed to in regards to the Florida test. You can email FWC (precious.boatwright@myfwc.com) as well to request a falconry packet as well and they will send you multiple files with bibliography lists, applications, regulations etc. They got back to me with all the info within a couple of days. I am a "noob" as well and soaking in as much info as I can! I went onto themodernapprentice first thing and basically memorized the entire site, before venturing through the next steps.

Lol! Awesome. I'll do that. Thank you so much! I'm really excited to REALLY get started. Just waiting for a dry spell from the flood of homework I've been getting.
    Ashley Bonsignore
    Jupiter, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by TKing View Post
    North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks by Beebe/Webster is the one I have been pointed to in regards to the Florida test.

It's a great book, but it's out of print and not cheap. Also, the california hawking guide follows most tests word for word. Not saying you shouldn't read other books, but if I could get just one, it would be the cali pamphlet.
    Scott Wright

Quote Originally Posted by eminart View Post
    It's a great book, but it's out of print and not cheap. Also, the california hawking guide follows most tests word for word. Not saying you shouldn't read other books, but if I could get just one, it would be the cali pamphlet.
    Yeah, you are absolutely right. It is a beautiful book, and, while it took me sometime to justify spending $150 on a single book, I came to the conclusion that reselling should not be a problem. It may actually be quite profitable considering the older editions are selling for $1000s!
    Tasha King

Thread Information