Thread: Complete newbie from Montana

Default Complete newbie from Montana

Hello all,

I have to admit that I feel pretty excited even posting on this topic, as falconry has been something that I've often thought of, but never spoken about. As the title says, I am a complete newbie. I ordered the falconry guide from the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks and have been been reading through it, along with a few books that I have, but that is as far as I have gone. I would very much like to meet some falconers in my area to go out hunting with them. See, I love and admire raptors but I want to be sure that falconry is really something that I can commit myself to. I am eager to learn more and to ask questions.
    About myself: I am a graduate student studying urban ecology (my thesis is on feral pigeons). I am a great outdoor enthusiast, as well as a proud sci-fi nerd. I am married to a great guy who thinks my interest is falconry is awesome, and I have the greatest two year old son on the planet. He hasn't expressed an opinion on the matter.
    So, anyone from Montana out there? I live in Butte, but I will travel to meet you (within reason, of course. Probably I won't drive to Scobey. Probably.) I'm looking to make some contacts and learn the realities of falconry. Thanks for reading!

Callie

Welcome to NAFEX! You will find a lot of great info here, as well as some great folks.
    I don't know the key to success ... but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
    Kenny

Hi Callie,

I grew up in Butte until I was ten, back in he day when they were still mining the hill underground. Those were the days :-) I'm curious as to what sort of prey base is there around Butte? TJ, who is on this list, lives in Helena and he would be a great source of information for you.

Bill Boni

Callie,
    I have sent you a PM with contact info for the Montana Falconers Asso.
    Ray Gilbertson
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Thanks all for the warm welcome! Ray, I received your message - thank you. Bill, to tell you the truth, I am not sure what sort of prey base there would be. There are a heck of a lot of pigeons and feral cats, I can tell you that! I had sort of assumed that I would be traveling a far bit to do any falconry - my family has a place on the Big Hole and in my mind that was where I saw myself. I have a lot of learning to do, that much is apparent.
    I have lots of questions, so I am going to be spending some time looking through the forums. I'm also going to try to contact the names suggested to me. I really appreciated how welcoming you all have been.
    Callie - Butte, MT

Hi Callie, welcome. I've been hawking with Ally from Missoula and she has a great little goshawk. Get ahold of her sometime. If you're in the Flathead Valley you are welcome to stop in and visit about birds and hunting too.
    Carlos
    Carlos

Thanks, Carlos. Someone else mentioned Ally as well - I will try to track her down.
    Callie - Butte, MT

Welcome Callie!
    PM also sent to you.
    If you've got hunting spots available to you in the Big Hole, you've got some great access to game of all sorts, and even around Butte area you're not in too terrible of a spot.

We are spaced out a bit here in MT, but we're around --you've already heard from some folks already between Ray and Carlos, TJ is also a great one to get ahold of (he is MyAbusa here on NAFEX).

Welcome again!
    ~~~Ally~~~ Missoula, MT
    If you dislike a person, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, you are a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Callie!
    I'm from way down in East Texas, so doubtful we will link up very often to hunt , but wanted to welcome you to the forum! Falconry is awesome - you're going to love it. I'm a first year apprentice. KNEW I would enjoy this, but had no idea just HOW MUCH I would love it! Enjoy your journey into the sport!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thanks so much, Deb! That's really nice to hear. I have to say, I am floored by how awesome and welcoming everyone has been. This seems like a really fantastic community. I'm looking forward to getting more involved. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will have the opportunity to get out with some nearby falconers and get a taste of the sport.
    Callie - Butte, MT

Thread Information