Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I lost my Jerkin in Oct. so my season turned to sh*t. I have come to the conclusion that the kite, at least in South Dakota, needs to be a secondary training tool. You miss way to many days of conditions being just not right. From now on I will make the falcon to the kite but pigion training will be my main course of action, with the kite only when conditions are right. I like the exercise it gives the falcon and can be a great way to get a high serve. My parachute works well, I lost one from not getting to it fast enough. I buy 18" chutes, tye dye to find easily.
Forrest,
Sorry to hear about your jerkin. Hope you have another prospect in line for next season.
I have he same problem with fall kiting...often little or no wind in the morning, or if there is any, it only goes up to about 300'. Last season I started flying in the afternoons if the temp was below 80 degrees. Even with very light wind on the surface, there was usually enough to get the kite up as the upper winds were usually steady and stronger. I use a Clipper for those conditions.I have a balloon but don't use it any more but it is a nice option for those calm cool mornings. Luckily Sterling will usually be up to 1000' in 4-5 sessions after the molt so it's not a long term problem.