Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falconry Books

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Falconry Books

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what your #1 favorite falconry books are. I want to learn about making the mews and equipment and about the birds, like their diseases, and more about taking care of them. I already have "The Falconers Apprentice", and "Falconry and Hawking". Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Read the entire thread, lots of suggestions on books!

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=2007
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Fred!
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

If you had to pick only one book you would recommend to someone, what book would that be? I am hoping to learn more from the best books. Any answers would be appreciated.
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

It all depends on what hawk/falcon/broadwing you wish to fly.
    Then there are books that relate to falconry. For me, you can't beat Reminiscences of a Falconer, C.H Fisher, my all time favourite. It's not a "how to do it" book, but an insight to one of the most colourful characters ever to be involved in falconry.
    adam
    There are two seasons, falconry season and art season.

Quote Originally Posted by passager View Post
    If you had to pick only one book you would recommend to someone, what book would that be? I am hoping to learn more from the best books. Any answers would be appreciated.
    Anyone else?
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Hal has a new book due out in April. I am wondering if the latest edition of NAF&HH will also be available at that time.
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Default North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks

Like asking the question, if you could only fly one hawk, what hawk would it be?

(Sorry guy the newest edition is a two book set)

But you asked the question so I suggest to you to contact western sporting and get yiour copies ordered now and receive a 10% discount.

Good luck with your quest,
    Bob Payne
    "So many hawks, so little time"

Quote Originally Posted by bobpayne View Post
    Like asking the question, if you could only fly one hawk, what hawk would it be?

But you asked the question so I suggest to you to contact western sporting and get yiour copy ordered now and receive a 10% discount.

Good luck with your quest,
    If I had to choose one hawk it would be a Red-tailed.
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Anyone else please? I really want to learn more, and I want to do so from the best books.
    Thanks
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Ian,

Thank you
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Trevarth View Post
    A Hawk for the Bush. J Mavrogordato.

Whilst specifically about Sparrowhawks and quite old it gives a great impression of the commitment and the attention to detail required.
    Yes, would have to go on my list of 'must reads' too.
    Martin

My personal favourite is "the red tailed hawk-a guide to north America's most versitile game hawk. Was my red-tail bible

Bob
    BC Canada

I agree with Bob's personal favorite above, if you are interested in Red-tails as we both are. And, if you will be hunting squirrels with Red-tails be sure to read Buteos & Bushytails by Gary Brewer.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thank you all for the suggestions!
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Rylan,

I have family members going on vacation now and I am a little tied with our family business. Maybe sometime in April I will have time to finish my new mews, then maybe we can get together and make some equipment. We can start with anklets and jesses and if you like, we can make hoods and giant hoods!
    Ling A.
    “If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.”

Quote Originally Posted by laj View Post
    Rylan,

I have family members going on vacation now and I am a little tied with our family business. Maybe sometime in April I will have time to finish my new mews, then maybe we can get together and make some equipment. We can start with anklets and jesses and if you like, we can make hoods and giant hoods!
    That would be great!
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Most of the books that people recommend are out of print and are difficult to find for less then $100+. The only way many of us newbs can get info is from forums and websites. Since the "bibles" are impossible to get a hold of.

If these books are going to stay out of print then we should try and get the permission from the author or their descendants to allow digital distribution of the books at a reasonable price so others can enjoy their literary work.

Unfortunately the majority of the books are not old enough to be public domain (70 years after death of author) so they cannot be distributed for free.

Scott

Adam,

Do you have a favorite how-to book?
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Adam,

Do you have a favorite how-to book?
    Hi Rylan,

Favorite books, Bert, Latham, Ray Turner, R Stevens. There are others that I will paw through as there are certain chapters that are very relevant to my hawking.
    For me, getting the feeding right goes such a long way in getting the results you are looking for. Latham is great for this.

Recent books, High Flying Gyrfalcons,
    adam

I'm a bit of a sucker for this one Adam.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...earchitem=true

They don't make 'em like that any more!

Best wishes,

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    I'm a bit of a sucker for this one Adam.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...earchitem=true

They don't make 'em like that any more!

Best wishes,

Tony.
    Very cool Tony. I wish I had the extra $! Kent was kind enough to show me Salvin's personal copy, when I visited The Archives last year. I found all the hand written notes quite interesting. I'd love to have a 1st or 2nd edition if this book as well as a copy if Latham's. But one can not be born good looking AND rich. So a poor man I will be, I am afraid ;-)
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Quote Originally Posted by Clanggedin View Post
    Most of the books that people recommend are out of print and are difficult to find for less then $100+. The only way many of us newbs can get info is from forums and websites. Since the "bibles" are impossible to get a hold of.

If these books are going to stay out of print then we should try and get the permission from the author or their descendants to allow digital distribution of the books at a reasonable price so others can enjoy their literary work.

Unfortunately the majority of the books are not old enough to be public domain (70 years after death of author) so they cannot be distributed for free.

Scott
    Have you tried borrowing books through a library? Between the University of NM and the Albuquerque Public library system I can find plenty of difficult to buy falconry books.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

I have unfortunately most of the books are not available in any of the libraries in my state. The book 'The Red-Tailed Hawk: A Complete Guide to Training and Hunting North America's Most Versatile Game Hawk by Liam J. McGranaghan" is only available in 5 libraries across the nation that I can see. I have located other books, but they are quite a drive from my location.

Scott P.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanggedin View Post
    I have unfortunately most of the books are not available in any of the libraries in my state. The book 'The Red-Tailed Hawk: A Complete Guide to Training and Hunting North America's Most Versatile Game Hawk by Liam J. McGranaghan" is only available in 5 libraries across the nation that I can see. I have located other books, but they are quite a drive from my location.

Scott P.

Not the latest edition, but I don't believe much different: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...Liam%26sts%3Dt
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Ditto Rylan!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Adam & Tony got most of my favorites, Ian & Martin tagged one as well. If I were to pick anther, Michell's book. Helped me w/ my first longwing all those years ago
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

You start collecting books then say good bye to all your spare cash. It is very addictive, but enjoyable.
    adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam norrie View Post
    You start collecting books then say good bye to all your spare cash. It is very addictive, but enjoyable.
    Yeah that's what i've heard!
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Quote Originally Posted by adam norrie View Post
    After posting the link to that 2nd edition Falconry in the British Isles, I discovered I'd been bidding against a falconer friend of mine.
    I'm so glad he got it, but felt terrible that I'd added to his bill

Of course, modern reprints make the same text available at a fraction of the price, but there's magic in an old book.

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    After posting the link to that 2nd edition Falconry in the British Isles, I discovered I'd been bidding against a falconer friend of mine.
    I'm so glad he got it, but felt terrible that I'd added to his bill

Of course, modern reprints make the same text available at a fraction of the price, but there's magic in an old book.

Tony.
    Agreed Tony. While I would love to own certain first edition books, I gotta keep some $ set aside. I hope to have my eye on something else in the next couple/few weeks ;-)
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

If you're a Merlin person then Michell is a must. And there is nothing like feeling the weight and bulk of a first edition (magic!). Steven's two books, 'Taming of Genghis' and 'Observations on Modern Falconry' are second to none as far as the philosophy of manning birds. Woodford's 'Manual of Falconry' is still the best beginner's book. 'Desert Hawking II' is a masterpiece, and I think the best of the series, and was the right book at the right time. Mavrogordato's two treatises are excellent, but I think 'A Hawk for the Bush' is the better. Three recent books, 'The Flying of Falcons', 'High Flying Gyrfalcons', and 'The Four Week Window', all compliment each other and should be on ever falconer's book shelf. They are describing the same idea of working with the natural timeline of the birds and not trying to force a result.

And, last I recommend the Latham's Falconry that Paul Morgan published with the commentary by David Horobin. I've tried to work through Latham in the past and my limitations of understanding made it a daunting task to say the least. Mr. Horobin's commentary opened up the work and made it so much more accessible and allowed me to appreciate Latham and realize that falconry and falconers have not changed since 1600! But, I still want to hold that 1633 Latham in my hand a imagine who else held and appreciated these words before me...magic

Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    If you're a Merlin person then Michell is a must. And there is nothing like feeling the weight and bulk of a first edition (magic!). Steven's two books, 'Taming of Genghis' and 'Observations on Modern Falconry' are second to none as far as the philosophy of manning birds. Woodford's 'Manual of Falconry' is still the best beginner's book. 'Desert Hawking II' is a masterpiece, and I think the best of the series, and was the right book at the right time. Mavrogordato's two treatises are excellent, but I think 'A Hawk for the Bush' is the better. Three recent books, 'The Flying of Falcons', 'High Flying Gyrfalcons', and 'The Four Week Window', all compliment each other and should be on ever falconer's book shelf. They are describing the same idea of working with the natural timeline of the birds and not trying to force a result.

And, last I recommend the Latham's Falconry that Paul Morgan published with the commentary by David Horobin. I've tried to work through Latham in the past and my limitations of understanding made it a daunting task to say the least. Mr. Horobin's commentary opened up the work and made it so much more accessible and allowed me to appreciate Latham and realize that falconry and falconers have not changed since 1600! But, I still want to hold that 1633 Latham in my hand a imagine who else held and appreciated these words before me...magic

Rocky
    Great advice and observations.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Rocky,
    thank you for all the information. I find all this really helpful.

Thanks,
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Now Rylan,

With all this information at hand, you had better go and see your bank manager and secure a hefty loan. But make sure you keep up the repayments, or else us book collectors we will come knocking and relieve you of your best books
    adam

Thread Information