Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falconry Books

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by adam norrie View Post
    Now Rylan,

With all this information at hand, you had better go and see your bank manager and secure a hefty loan. But make sure you keep up the repayments, or else us book collectors we will come knocking and relieve you of your best books
    HAHAHA!
    ~Rylan
    Marshall, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    'Desert Hawking II' is a masterpiece, and I think the best of the series, and was the right book at the right time.

Rocky
    Yes Rocky, a classic. As you say the right book at the right time – and maybe for the author it was the right book at the right time, something special at work as the observations were put down.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    If you're a Merlin person then Michell is a must. And there is nothing like feeling the weight and bulk of a first edition (magic!). Steven's two books, 'Taming of Genghis' and 'Observations on Modern Falconry' are second to none as far as the philosophy of manning birds. Woodford's 'Manual of Falconry' is still the best beginner's book. 'Desert Hawking II' is a masterpiece, and I think the best of the series, and was the right book at the right time. Mavrogordato's two treatises are excellent, but I think 'A Hawk for the Bush' is the better. Three recent books, 'The Flying of Falcons', 'High Flying Gyrfalcons', and 'The Four Week Window', all compliment each other and should be on ever falconer's book shelf. They are describing the same idea of working with the natural timeline of the birds and not trying to force a result.

And, last I recommend the Latham's Falconry that Paul Morgan published with the commentary by David Horobin. I've tried to work through Latham in the past and my limitations of understanding made it a daunting task to say the least. Mr. Horobin's commentary opened up the work and made it so much more accessible and allowed me to appreciate Latham and realize that falconry and falconers have not changed since 1600! But, I still want to hold that 1633 Latham in my hand a imagine who else held and appreciated these words before me...magic

Rocky
    Hello Rocky,

I just happened upon something on Facebook, in the form of Colonel Thornton's Sporting Tour (Schwerdt's copy no less), and it set me to thinking how inspirational, if not necessarily instructive books like that can be.

Another such inspirational book must be Fisher's Reminiscences. Especially the 1st edition.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Bruce Haak's The Hunting Falcon takes some beating for anyone taking up game hawking, as a manual.
    Gamehawking at its very Best is by far the best read.
    Hawkins Fisher and Michell are my other favourites.
    'Do let her have it Fisher!'

Love it,
    Nick

Hi Rylan,

Get a copy of John Swifts Bibliotheca Accipitraria. There you will find all the books you need.
    adam
    There are two seasons, falconry season and art season.

Being completely new to falconry - it seems most of the books recommended were directed towards a specific bird, equipment, etc.

Are any of the above books, or a different book perhaps, that any of you would recommend as an all-around good introduction book for falconry? Even if it lacks a bit of depth in each subject, I'd like to find something that covers a bit of everything with some descent illustrations.

Thread Information