Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who is imprinting '13

Default who is imprinting '13

So who is pulling what this year? Wild or captive bred, just want to hear who is planning to raise a little down grenade.
    Thanks,
    Wes

I may be raising a pair or three of males goshawks together and trying a dual/triple hack with them. There has been some interest in this by perspective buyers and it is intriguing to me also. we'll see. You?
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

I will be imprinting a female saker and a female lanner for breeding. I will also be imprinting a female Barbary for a friend, did a gyrkin for her last year and she is very happy with him.
    Hope to also have a superb tiercel if a friend breeds one for me, as a future hat bird.
    Busy times ahead.
    George,

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
    I may be raising a pair or three of males goshawks together and trying a dual/triple hack with them. There has been some interest in this by perspective buyers and it is intriguing to me also. we'll see. You?

sounds like a big experiment. Hope you will keep us posted for that! I want to imprint something small. Sharpshinned is first choice, merlin is second choice. Been a few years since I have flown anything truly small.
    Thanks,
    Wes

I hope to be imprinting my first goshawk this year. will be hitting the woods next week looking for them.
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

I may be imprinting either a gyr/prairie or a goshawk or both this summer, that is, if I can make them.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hope to pull 2 goshawk this year
    David Haro

Auburn, California

We will see what the nest woods reveal but a sharpy is always welcome.

Phil Smith
    Rolla, MO (By way of Neah Bay, WA; Yakima, WA, Stanwood, WA; Anchorage, AK)

I'll be imprinting a male NA goshawk
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

I am hoping to do a tame-hack and would love to find a sharpy nest. I may end up with a coop, probably a tierce if I can help it. I may end up with nothing...we shall see! But I'll be out on the prowl.
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

Default sharpies

Hey pal,
    If you don't find a sharpie or a Coops nest ,if you want to come a visit.I will put you up and I should be able to take you to a Coops nest.I have one about a half mi from the house.
    Dennis
    Dennis Samnee

Very kind of you Dennis! I'm hoping to avoid any interstate travel / permit issues...but your offer is very tempting
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Tarr View Post
    I am hoping to do a tame-hack and would love to find a sharpy nest. I may end up with a coop, probably a tierce if I can help it. I may end up with nothing...we shall see! But I'll be out on the prowl.

Did you find you a nest? Ought to be about that time up there for them to be on the nest, right?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by skooky20 View Post
    I hope to be imprinting my first goshawk this year. will be hitting the woods next week looking for them.
    Find a nest?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Yes i have 2 nests lined up so as long as nothing happens to them between now and when i pull i should have a goshawk.
    Chris

Yes i have 2 nests lined up so as long as nothing happens to them between now and when i pull i should have a goshawk.
    Great news. How many weeks you gotta wait now?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    Did you find you a nest? Ought to be about that time up there for them to be on the nest, right?
    No, but I can't say I tried very hard. I checked two spots where I have found coops before with no luck but didn't exactly scour the landscape.

Have recently become overwhelmed at work with Whooping Crane eggs coming in from abandoned nests in the reintroduced population nesting in Wisconsin and am now thinking I won't have time to do this right. That's the problem with being a bird-breeder for a living...all the action at work happens right when I'd be needing time to raise an eyass hawk. Might just stick with passage birds!
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

No, but I can't say I tried very hard. I checked two spots where I have found coops before with no luck but didn't exactly scour the landscape.

Have recently become overwhelmed at work with Whooping Crane eggs coming in from abandoned nests in the reintroduced population nesting in Wisconsin and am now thinking I won't have time to do this right. That's the problem with being a bird-breeder for a living...all the action at work happens right when I'd be needing time to raise an eyass hawk. Might just stick with passage birds!
    Bryant,
    Why not just imprint a whooping crane under the guise of "scientific research"? It'll satisfy that urge to bond with something feathered. I'm imprinting a wonderful little female grey call duck(not by choice)since late April. "Shep" is as entertaining and sweet as any imprint gyr or merlin I've ever had.
    Ray
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Quote Originally Posted by falcon56 View Post
    Bryant,
    Why not just imprint a whooping crane under the guise of "scientific research"? It'll satisfy that urge to bond with something feathered. I'm imprinting a wonderful little female grey call duck(not by choice)since late April. "Shep" is as entertaining and sweet as any imprint gyr or merlin I've ever had.
    Ray
    Ha! Yes, crane chicks are cuties when they are little, but you ain't seen nothin' in terms of imprint aggression until you've seen a big male Red-Crowned or Siberian crane that wants to kick your ass! My arms and legs are ripped to shreds during AI season!

The Whooping Crane in my Avatar is a pretty bad-ass dude himself. He is 31 years old and draws blood on me regularly....of course I draw semen out of him 3 times a week, so it's only fair I guess!
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

Very kind of you Dennis! I'm hoping to avoid any interstate travel / permit issues...but your offer is very tempting
    I've got some coops nests too, would have to go pinpoint them, but permit is free over here!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    I've got some coops nests too, would have to go pinpoint them, but permit is free over here!
    Temptations...temptations!
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

He is 31 years old and draws blood on me regularly....of course I draw semen out of him 3 times a week, so it's only fair I guess!

No.....no, it's not even close to fair in my book! HAHA!!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Will be pulling june first if everything goes to plan
    Chris

Ah just one more saturday to wait and then one to go!!! Take plenty of pics/video for us!
    Thanks,
    Wes

And of course, a thread will be started with lots of pictures and narration! LOL Definitely keep us informed!

You are doing another thing on my bucket list! You are soooooo lucky to have goshawks in your area. And after I win this 800 million tonight, I will be moving somewhere that I can pull and trap goshawks. Well, not really moving, just purchasing 10,000 acres of prime goshawk territroy!
    Fred

Awesome! Good luck Chris!
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

Plenty of pics will be taken this is one of my dreams coming to life for me. The waiting is killing me. I just wish my father was still with us so he could see the look on my face when that white fluff ball is lowered to my awaiting hands. He was a falconer for many years and he loved goshawks.
    Chris

Congrats Chris, I'm excited for you!
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Chris,

I hope you will give us a blow by blow description of raising your little bundle of joy. Reading the details is almost like being there.

Harry.

Talking

Okay, so I'm feeling a little "back shelved' here. How come nobody seems to be interested in a blow by blow description of raising my imprint call duckling?
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Default "Shep"

Ray,
    I really think you're kind of holding out on everybody. You probably don't feel the intensity for info. Give it up man! We need photos of "Old Shep". Believe me when I say we are on the edge of our seat. I'm about ready to quack up!
    All the best Ray
    Allen
    Allen Gardner

Okay, so I'm feeling a little "back shelved' here. How come nobody seems to be interested in a blow by blow description of raising my imprint call duckling?
    Sure Ray, while we are waiting for Chris to pull his gos tell us all about it. You can be like one of those "human interest" stories that CNN airs when they don't have any real news.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Well, since you all won't give me a moments rest. "Pulled" her at 1 day of age, usual imprinting procedure in the house until she became to mobile, then outside. Pretty pleased she's not a screamer, but she does have a tendency to peep quite a bit, tho lately her voice is changing and is getting close to a quack. She is a bit grabby when I feed her wax and meal worms, no mantling tho & using a remote clicker to bridge positive behavior etc. but doesn't seem to be getting through to her. "Shep" because she heels better than any dog I've ever had, and who in their right mind would name a duck, "Fido" or "Rover"- I mean, c'mon!
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Well, since you all won't give me a moments rest. "Pulled" her at 1 day of age, usual imprinting procedure in the house until she became to mobile, then outside. Pretty pleased she's not a screamer, but she does have a tendency to peep quite a bit, tho lately her voice is changing and is getting close to a quack. She is a bit grabby when I feed her wax and meal worms, no mantling tho & using a remote clicker to bridge positive behavior etc. but doesn't seem to be getting through to her. "Shep" because she heels better than any dog I've ever had, and who in their right mind would name a duck, "Fido" or "Rover"- I mean, c'mon!
    Again Ray, no one is going to believe you until we see pictures! LOL
    Fred

Are you doing a tame hack? Using lots of baggies?
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Thread Information