Thread: Last hunt of season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Last hunt of season

A little late posting this...

I always like to end the season with a "family" outing Bullet got wind of the squirrel, and Emmy grabbed it. Nice big buck grey squirrel to end the season.

Hope everyone had a great season!

Now time for some fishing

Chris

Hello Chris,

Are you using a standard poodle to help hunt? I have never seen anyone use a standard poodle to help hunt in falconry, but I have considered using my standard to help hunt for squirrels and rabbits just because it is a dog that I have on hand. Did you do any additional training to get it to work as part of a falconry team? Thats a beautiful red tailed hawk by the way.

Stuart Barrow
    Stew
    Rome GA

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Hello Chris,

Are you using a standard poodle to help hunt? I have never seen anyone use a standard poodle to help hunt in falconry, but I have considered using my standard to help hunt for squirrels and rabbits just because it is a dog that I have on hand. Did you do any additional training to get it to work as part of a falconry team? Thats a beautiful red tailed hawk by the way.

Stuart Barrow
    I do. He has a great nose. I use him in rabbit fields and he has flushed several bunnies for her. I have been training him to chase squirrels from the bird feeders at the house, and he has picked up the fact that the squirrels go up into the tree, so now he has started looking up. Recently he has taken it a bit further and standing on the tree that has or had the squirrel. My RT tolerates him pretty well as they spend a lot of time together in the yard. This is not a great pic as I took it with my phone, but you can see them chilling together. I introduced the two of them shortly after the RT was trapped.

Most people do not know this, but they were bred as hunting dogs

http://www.gundogmag.com/2011/09/06/...andard-poodle/

My only problem is I do not go often enough with the two of them. Most of my spots are small, and too close to the road. A don't want the dog running out in the street after a critter. This one spot is a large farm, far from the road, but I do not get to it often.

and another pic of them from earlier in the season

That first shot of your Poodle is a great one...I really enjoyed seeing it. House bound Poodles should be so lucky as to have dual purpose live in hunting and perferably falconry.
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Pretty cool. Poodles were (and still are sometimes) great hunting dogs.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Where they not originaly water dogs? I has always told that's where the funny round ball hair cuts was for.
    Brian In OHIO.

How is the temperament of that poodle?? is he pretty strong or more passive.. I find that a lot of poodles that I have been close to are on the pushy side... was your poodle raised with birds around or slowly introduced?
    I'm usually only on here because I can't be out hunting.
    Symeon

Years ago my falconry buddy, Robert, used his girlfriend's standard white poodle to hunt pheasants with his falcons. He got a kick out of showing up in the field with her right after she'd been to the groomers, bows and all. We gave him a hard time the first time he brought her, of course, but she had a great nose and was an excellent dog, and very quickly earned our respect.
    Kurt

Hi Kurt,
    Just wondering, did the Poodle hold point on these Pheasants or just flush them?
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sym View Post
    How is the temperament of that poodle?? is he pretty strong or more passive.. I find that a lot of poodles that I have been close to are on the pushy side... was your poodle raised with birds around or slowly introduced?
    He gets very excited when we first get to the field, but settles quickly. When the RT catches something, he runs in quick, but once the RT puffs up, he backs off. The poodle was a year and a half when we got the hawk. For initial intros, the RT was on my fist, and the poodle on leash. The RT kept a keen eye on him, but after a couple times that went away. Then, I would feed the RT on the lawn perch with the dog present. The RT was again weary at first, but quickly got over it. As you saw in the second pic, now they just hang out together. and if I feed her on the lawn perch, she ignores the dog, and he keeps his distance. When she is done, he comes in to see if she missed anything

The only concern I have is with other dogs we might run into in the field. She has no fear of my dog, not sure what she would do if a bird dog comes running up to her if she is on the ground with game.

I realize this is an old thread, but had to reply when I saw the poodle. My wife was dying to have a "Golden Doodle" (Golden Retreiver/ Poodle) and I, not knowing anything about them, thought that sounded like some kind of "foo-foo" dog. Well, I gotta say, Bentley is the best damn dog ever and he goes nuts for a squirrel or rabbit. This past season was my first year as an apprentice so I didn't try to incorporate a dog into our hunting but I think he has potential.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by bkdegraw View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but had to reply when I saw the poodle. My wife was dying to have a "Golden Doodle" (Golden Retreiver/ Poodle) and I, not knowing anything about them, thought that sounded like some kind of "foo-foo" dog. Well, I gotta say, Bentley is the best damn dog ever and he goes nuts for a squirrel or rabbit. This past season was my first year as an apprentice so I didn't try to incorporate a dog into our hunting but I think he has potential.

Poodles are great hunting dogs, and too often get very little respect. Seeing him tree a squirrel or flush a rabbit and my RT catching it is very exciting. I do not get to work them together too often, as I do not have many wide open woodlots or fields. Most places I hunt are small, and I get worried about the dog running into the road.

That is absolutely gorgeous bird. Great photos!
    Hannah Childress

Quote Originally Posted by HannahSue View Post
    That is absolutely gorgeous bird. Great photos!
    Thanks again. Cant wait for the season to start back up!!!!

Chris

Thread Information