Thread: Hello from Northern Wyoming

Default Hello from Northern Wyoming

Just wanted to introduce myself. Looking at the names of some of the people here I already know a lot of you. I have been a falconer for almost 30 years. I live in northern Wyoming and fly falcons at sharptail grouse, sage grouse, huns, and ducks, but I love all aspects of falconry. I drive a school bus for a living and I'm also the Editor and co-owner of American Falconry magazine.

I actually created a NAFEX account several years ago, and then kind of forgot about it. Someone brought up this site recently and it prompted me to come check it out. And what do you know the account I set up way back then was still here waiting for me to make my first post, so here it is.

Yo, Steve.

I didn't know you drove a school bus for a living.
    Bryan Kimsey

Welcome back Steve!
    I don't know the key to success ... but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
    Kenny

welcome back to the party Steve. I think you'll find a few changes, and alot of familiar faces/names.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

to NAFEX Steve! Just have to say, I love the magazine!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Greetings Steve! Big fan of the mag here as well. Been getting it since it first came out. Keep up the good work.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Hi Steve.
    I'm pretty new here too...enjoying it. Hoping to fish the Tongue this summer...might have to stop by and say howdy.

John
    -John "Q" Lindstrom
    "The road goes on forever and the party never ends" Robert Earl Keen

Great to see you post on here. Welcome aboard!
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

How's your new setter pup?

-- Scott
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

Default Hey Steve!

I join the others in welcoming you! Not sure if you remember or not but a group of us Indiana falconers stopped by for a visit during early June of 2007. We will never forget the hospitality you and David Frank showed us during our time there--you guys are the best! Thanks again!

Roger
    Roger Chastain

Default Oh yeah...

and I love the magazine as well! I renewed my subscription recently and am anxiously awaiting your newest edition.

Roger
    Roger Chastain

Hi Steve,

Welcome to NAFEX! Perhaps I am jumping the gun here, but have you ever been to Pakistan?
    Salman

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by NMHighPlains View Post
    I didn't know you drove a school bus for a living.
    Yep, for about ten years now. When we first started the magazine I did that full time. After a few years I came to the conclusion that it's just too small of a market to support me, so it became a part time job. A labor of love if you will. The hours I work driving a school bus mesh well with the magazine work and hawking.

Quote Originally Posted by qball View Post
    Hoping to fish the Tongue this summer...might have to stop by and say howdy.
    That would be great, hope to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird_Dog View Post
    How's your new setter pup?
    Wow, word spreads fast. He is very smart, and has a lot of natural pointing instincts. This is my first male, always had females before, but decided to try something different. So far I'm very happy with him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Not sure if you remember or not but a group of us Indiana falconers stopped by for a visit during early June of 2007.
    I remember you guys well, I enjoyed your visit. When are you coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Turumti View Post
    Perhaps I am jumping the gun here, but have you ever been to Pakistan?
    Nope.
    Steve Jones - http://www.americanfalconry.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@American_Falconry
    What is best in life? "The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair."

I asked because there was an American falconer named Steve Jones who came here in the early 1990's.
    Salman

Hello Steve Jones, enjoying your latest creation volume 61. Love the subject matter and eye candy of each one!

Have since the beginning, thanks again,
    Bob Payne
    "So many hawks, so little time"

Hey Steve,

Joe Katt and Tim Neese opted not to lead a group out there for goshawk chicks this summer but I may be out there trapping this fall. I had been dead set on getting a prairie falcon this summer but after posting on here I had lots of guys give great insights into sore prairies, passage prairies and other species altogether so now I'm not so sure what I'll be shooting for this year. One thing is for sure though--Wyoming has lots of species that I'm interested in, including prairies, ferrugs, merlins, goshawks, etc. Decisions, decisions! I'll definitely let ya know if I head your way though.

Best,
    Roger
    Roger Chastain

Welcome Steve,

I remember every detail of my visit with you from the chicken cacciatore you prepared for dinner to the stellar flight on a hen mallard by your cast of prairie and gyr/per tiercel. The tiercel was beat to the punch by the female prairie. If I remember correctly the prairie was higher than the tiercel.
    Naaaaa........ I can't be remebering that right.
    What was typical of those two during most flights Steve? What was the kill percentage of each bird on flights flown in cast? Did you keep records?
    That pond was to die for and the birds really put on a show. I had never seen a cast in action and that really made the trip special.
    True western hospitality accross the board!
    David Liepe

New Jersey

Hi old buddy!
    Keith Thompson
    Treat everyone you meet with dignity and respect....but have a plan to kill them just in case

Quote Originally Posted by bobpayne View Post
    Hello Steve Jones, enjoying your latest creation volume 61. Love the subject matter and eye candy of each one!

Have since the beginning, thanks again,
    Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    ... but I may be out there trapping this fall.
    Give me a shout if you make it. It would be great to see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Hi old buddy!
    Wow, it's been a while. Done any writing lately?
    Steve Jones - http://www.americanfalconry.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@American_Falconry
    What is best in life? "The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair."

Quote Originally Posted by dliepe View Post
    Welcome Steve,

I remember every detail of my visit with you from the chicken cacciatore you prepared for dinner to the stellar flight on a hen mallard by your cast of prairie and gyr/per tiercel. The tiercel was beat to the punch by the female prairie. If I remember correctly the prairie was higher than the tiercel.
    Naaaaa........ I can't be remebering that right.
    What was typical of those two during most flights Steve? What was the kill percentage of each bird on flights flown in cast? Did you keep records?
    That pond was to die for and the birds really put on a show. I had never seen a cast in action and that really made the trip special.
    True western hospitality accross the board!
    I'm surprised you remember so much. That was what, 15 years ago. I remember you came by and we went out and flew the birds, but that's about it.

That pair was fun. The prairie was frequently higher early on, but later they were usually the same pitch. In fact they got to where they would fly in formation, wing tip to wing tip. They were very deadly. I rarely came home with an empty bag. I did keep records, but to get actual percentages I would have to go back and add it up and do the math. I wouldn't be able to give kill percentages for the two birds individually because so many of their kills were true teamwork. They would frequently target the same bird out of the flock, especially with more difficult quarry like grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jones View Post
    I'm surprised you remember so much. That was what, 15 years ago. I remember you came by and we went out and flew the birds, but that's about it.

That pair was fun. The prairie was frequently higher early on, but later they were usually the same pitch. In fact they got to where they would fly in formation, wing tip to wing tip. They were very deadly. I rarely came home with an empty bag. I did keep records, but to get actual percentages I would have to go back and add it up and do the math. I wouldn't be able to give kill percentages for the two birds individually because so many of their kills were true teamwork. They would frequently target the same bird out of the flock, especially with more difficult quarry like grouse.
    You guys out west were heros to me back then....To fly large falcons on grouse in the western landscape was a dream for me since I was 14 years old. Anytime I got a chance to meet up with a guy actually doing it was a treat.
    The fire is still burning and those few trips flying greater chickens fulfilled a lifelong dream.
    I know that you were the only one I'd heard of flying a mixed pair at game. I'd heard of Dan's tiger and speedy but they were both peregrines. I'm sure you broke into some new ground with those two of yours.
    Daves hybrid caught a hun that day as well. That was another first for me to witness. Dave called him Bucko right?? Said something to him when he picked him up like, "Oh now your a big tough guy ayy"!!We threw my peregrine a chucker which she hit and lost in the high grass. You complimented me on her flying and training which I really apprecciated.
    Hows that for detail.
    Just goes to prove how much of an impact one individual can make on another.
    On that note, I went on to meet another great guy on a later trip to Montana who reminded me of you....Mike Gregston. He pointed me to one of his favorite places to hunt sharptail without hesitation and we shared a meal and a great day of hawking together. His hybrid flew well in high winds but was beaten that day by the sharps. I Killed my first sharptail over point on that trip and another great memory was cemented. Mike and his wife treated me like they'd known me for years.

Anyway I'm ramblin, but it brings back so many great memories!
    David Liepe

New Jersey

Dave,
    I am honored to be part of those wonderful memories.

Hi Steve (by the way)...welcome aboard! The hazing will begin momentarily....now who had the paddle last?
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Thread Information