Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NAFA National Meet

Default 2013 NAFA National Meet

Ok folks, its that time. Registration is now available for the 2013 NAFA Meet in Alamosa, CO. I would stress to everyone that you read all the requirements before jumping in and registering because I am fearful that folks will register, see all the crap that they have to go through and then decide not to go and we will have to issue a bunch of refunds. So I am warning you to read the entire Meet page and investigate all that it will take before registering. Personally, with all that is required, you couldn't pay me to go to CO to fly my birds! What a load of crap! I do truley feel sorry for the falconers of CO and this is just my personal opinion, but I feel this will be the least attended NAFA Meet in recent times.

Anyhow, go the Meet Page and read all that is involved. One new aspect this year is in order to make your hotel reservation, you will have to have your Meet Registration Number, which will be issued to you when you register online. If you download the mail in form and mail it in, once it is recieved and your payment (check or credit card) clears, you will receive an email with your Meet Registration Confirmation which will include your Meet Registration Number.

If anyone has any problems registering, please contact me and I will help as much as I can. If you have questions about all the hoops and whistles you have to go through, contact the Pete Rodas, the Meet Chairman.

Good luck and I hope everyone has a great time!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you for the heads up on CO. With the above info combined with what I have heard about their heavy handed fish cops I won't drive into the state for any reason. So it begs the question, why are we having a NAFA meet there? There must be other states nearby with enough rabbits and ducks for a few days of hawking.
    Michael Gregston

Quote Originally Posted by footbound View Post
    Thank you for the heads up on CO. With the above info combined with what I have heard about their heavy handed fish cops I won't drive into the state for any reason. So it begs the question, why are we having a NAFA meet there? There must be other states nearby with enough rabbits and ducks for a few days of hawking.
    Good question, this may well be the last meet for Colorado. Alamosa is a nice town, and there have been some historic meets there in the past, but the heavy handedness of the state makes holding a meet there less than desirable. Every year it gets tougher and tougher to find suitable sites for the national meet.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

WOW. I traveled through CO last Sep. I never checked their regs. Wasn't hunting, just stopped to see friends but it appears if the fish cops had stopped I would have needed a non-res lic.
    Nothing like being considered guilty beforehand.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

And an import permit, and a health certificate (though that's pretty much every state now, though they don't all do much to enforce it unless it's commercial). There are definitely more falconry friendly states than Colorado:p

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    And an import permit, and a health certificate (though that's pretty much every state now, though they don't all do much to enforce it unless it's commercial). There are definitely more falconry friendly states than Colorado:p
    Is the Colorado import permit free? If so they are $100 more falconry friendly than Vermont.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I was just in Alamosa about a month ago. I registered for the meet this morning and booked my room. Here are a couple of shots I took. You will be about 30 miles from Great Sand Dunes National Park.
    Alamosa is the city on the left of this picture.

Jim
    New Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Is the Colorado import permit free? If so they are $100 more falconry friendly than Vermont.
    It is Ron, I checked with Pete Rodas this morning about costs, the nonresident CO falconry license ($55.25 + $10.00 habitat stamp + $5.00 CO duck stamp) replaces the need for a small game hunting license and are the total fees to be paid to the state of Colorado, you still have to get a health certificate from an APHIS accredited vet before going to CO. I think it cost me $75 for a nonresident small game license in Nebraska last year, so it's about the same.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    It is Ron, I checked with Pete Rodas this morning about costs, the nonresident CO falconry license ($55.25 + $10.00 habitat stamp + $5.00 CO duck stamp) replaces the need for a small game hunting license and are the total fees to be paid to the state of Colorado, you still have to get a health certificate from an APHIS accredited vet before going to CO. I think it cost me $75 for a nonresident small game license in Nebraska last year, so it's about the same.
    I think we should change our license plates from "Vermont / Green Mountain State" to "Vermont / Slightly more falconry friendly than Hawaii"
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I just tried to book at the number that is on the NAFA Web site,, he said all rooms were booked and he was of no help...
    Call the Meet Hotel Directly 719-598-5833, had no problems..
    Ken Hooke
    Falconry Hoods International
    "Specializing" in unique, One Piece Hoods

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Ah...thanks Paul! That's very helpful! The way I was reading it, it looked like you needed the non-resident falconry license in addition to the hunting license-I like your version much better, lol

so I have to buy all that license crap, health certs and go thru hoops to work the meet...this is getting ridiculous! If I wasn't committed.....

didn't see dogs, etc listed, I presume I'll have to have HCs on them too.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    so I have to buy all that license crap, health certs and go thru hoops to work the meet...this is getting ridiculous! If I wasn't committed.....

didn't see dogs, etc listed, I presume I'll have to have HCs on them too.
    Technically, you're always supposed to have that when crossing state lines now:P They've just never enforced it before with domestic pets. From what I hear from vet friends, they're taking it more seriously now though.

Technically, you're always supposed to have that when crossing state lines now:P They've just never enforced it before with domestic pets. From what I hear from vet friends, they're taking it more seriously now though.
    It won't be long before they make YOU produce immunization records before you can come in their state. Pretty much a way for the state to make basically free income for doing nothing is all I've ever been able to tell with these sorts of things.
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

What ticks me off the most,we go get the HC for our animals and no one checks them, I was at one meet that wardens were there to check our HC. My vet will be smiling come November though!
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

Quote Originally Posted by COMEAUX View Post
    What ticks me off the most,we go get the HC for our animals and no one checks them, I was at one meet that wardens were there to check our HC. My vet will be smiling come November though!
    CO will be there ta check everything I'm told. Since I never fly at a meet, may just leave them all home. High price to pay
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by sakerjack View Post
    I just tried to book at the number that is on the NAFA Web site,, he said all rooms were booked and he was of no help...
    Call the Meet Hotel Directly 719-598-5833, had no problems..
    Thanks for the heads up Ken..but the number you listed is INCORRECT. The correct direct line number is 719-589-5833. I just registered with no problem using the 800 number listed by NAFA. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by latham View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Ken..but the number you listed is INCORRECT. The correct direct line number is 719-589-5833. I just registered with no problem using the 800 number listed by NAFA. Bob
    WHOOPS,, I talked to that guy for like 15 minutes and he kept saying sorry the hotel was FULL and he tried to book me into the Days Inn next door..
    Maybe he was unaware, it was early in the day.... OR one of us at too much!!!!
    Ken Hooke

The hotel should be asking for your NAFA Meet Registration Number, if they don't, make sure it is the correct hotel and if it is the correct hotel, let us know because they are supposed to be only booking people that week that have the NAFA Meet Registration Number which will be at the top of your Meet Confirmation Email.
    Fred

since I have ta buy a license, guess Mario's gonna have ta sacrifice a nap, & I'm gonna go kill something one afternoon..
    Rich in Illinois....

WHOOPS,, I talked to that guy for like 15 minutes and he kept saying sorry the hotel was FULL and he tried to book me into the Days Inn next door..
    Maybe he was unaware, it was early in the day.... OR one of us at too much!!!!
    Yeah, I called early about 6:30 their time,got Tim and that is what he said. called back at 9:30 and no problems...see ya there Gonna have to ask around this summer about getting a sack of mud bugs for ya in November....will keep ya up-dated
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

I'd ask them for a HC for their prey populations because you paid to have your bird defined as fit just for their satisfaction, and you'd like it to leave in the same shape you brought it into their state. Seems only fair right?
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    I'd ask them for a HC for their prey populations because you paid to have your bird defined as fit just for their satisfaction, and you'd like it to leave in the same shape you brought it into their state. Seems only fair right?
    The state of VT jerks us around on this and it is absurd. They require a HC and $100 import permit for a VT falconer to bring in a bird even if it was
    trapped 50' from the VT border. There is no permit needed for domestic animals or pets ranging from a hamster to a draft horse and an out of state falconer can bring a bird here and stay indefinitely without a a health certificate or import permit.

Why? Who knows. We have no poultry industry to speak of and judging by the birds we can trap legally there are very few birds of prey here in the first place to infect with anything.

And what of those pigeon racers? They transport their birds all over and release them sans permits.

I would not be as bitter about this if everyone who brought ANY animal into the state needed a permit and HC but falconers are being singled out.

OK enough ranting. This thread seems to have morphed from a meet threa to health certificates but I needed to vent.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

OK enough ranting. This thread seems to have morphed from a meet thread to health certificates but I needed to vent.
    No problem Ron, sometimes we all need to vent! LOL
    Fred

About 10 yrs ago I was at an entry point from Canada to the US. Some hunters were being hasseled about the geese they had in a freezer and the threat of bird flu. Then one of the hunters pointed to the sky as a huge flock of geese flew overhead going south. The conversation ended and they were waved thru.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Thanks for the info everyone! Not sure I'll be able to drive to this one from MD, but might leave my bird home and fly out for a few days if I can find some people to tag along and go hawking with.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post

AND see the states liability insurance in case your bird gets hurt while in their domain.
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

The state of VT jerks us around on this and it is absurd. They require a HC and $100 import permit for a VT falconer to bring in a bird even if it was
    trapped 50' from the VT border. There is no permit needed for domestic animals or pets ranging from a hamster to a draft horse and an out of state falconer can bring a bird here and stay indefinitely without a a health certificate or import permit.

Why? Who knows. We have no poultry industry to speak of and judging by the birds we can trap legally there are very few birds of prey here in the first place to infect with anything.

And what of those pigeon racers? They transport their birds all over and release them sans permits.

I would not be as bitter about this if everyone who brought ANY animal into the state needed a permit and HC but falconers are being singled out.

OK enough ranting. This thread seems to have morphed from a meet threa to health certificates but I needed to vent.
    The Health Cert requirements are driven by the USDA, and are tied to concerns for the domestic livestock industry being protected.

The real base concerns that the USDA has are very valid and real. However - please be prepared for a shock - once a large government beuaracracy took this real concern and implemented rules to protect against it things got stupid, silly and onerous. Brief pause for recovery from that shock....

The USDA rules are contradictory and complex about interstate travel of animals. They mandate that each state implement requirements of their own to suit the federal standards (similar to how falconry is handled). And each state takes the USDA lunacy, puts their own flavor on it, and viola! We have our little mess.

The USDA rules exempt dogs and cats explicitly unless they are produced in large commercial breeding operations, but the language is confusing. The USDA rules are supposed to apply to all other live animals crossing state lines, and I believe definitely including pigeons.

In times of actual emergency, like a bird flu or Newcastle break out, the USDA already has all the legal tools they need to lock things down and deal with problem. The paperwork need to move hawks and parrots and pigeons around is just silly and onerous, and often ignored anyway.

What is really needed to fix this is for NAFA and the AFC to try talking some common sense to the USDA and see if we can get included in the excemption. Sadly, the USDA seems to be in a mood to crack down more, not less. But that is where we really need to fight this lunacy. There are other groups who can join us - others who have animals that should be excempt but aren't.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Yeah, I called early about 6:30 their time,got Tim and that is what he said. called back at 9:30 and no problems...see ya there Gonna have to ask around this summer about getting a sack of mud bugs for ya in November....will keep ya up-dated
    Chris my friend , the flight is booked, car booked, hotel booked,, NOW if you can get some of them BUGS that would make the trip.. With that said,,the Coon Ass Shrimp Boil has me salivating already.
    Ken Hooke

Chris my friend , the flight is booked, car booked, hotel booked
    Sounds like you spent all afternoon on the phone with your bookie!
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Chris my friend , the flight is booked, car booked, hotel booked,, NOW if you can get some of them BUGS that would make the trip.. With that said,,the Coon Ass Shrimp Boil has me salivating already.
    Rich in Illinois....

Ken,

You're way ahead of me man! I've gotta get off my butt and get booked! Tomorrow....
    See you boys in Alamosa!
    Scott McNeff

Maine

I just tried to call and make my reservation and I was told that the hotel has the NAFA meet there from November 23 through December 1st.

Did somebody change the meet dates? Or am I just confused?
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    I just tried to call and make my reservation and I was told that the hotel has the NAFA meet there from November 23 through December 1st.

Did somebody change the meet dates? Or am I just confused?
    Those are the right dates, T-giving is the 28th.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Yeah, I see that. I was using an old calander. My mistake!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Thread Information