Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NAFA National Meet

And in reading the requirements, I remember another reason why I left Colorado....
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Sounds like you spent all afternoon on the phone with your bookie!
    Yes and all I did was just lose money!!
    Ken Hooke
    Falconry Hoods International
    "Specializing" in unique, One Piece Hoods

There is definitely a lot of hoops to jump through but I am going to go for it anyway. The main hotel sold out its 113 rooms the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chavez View Post
    There is definitely a lot of hoops to jump through but I am going to go for it anyway. The main hotel sold out its 113 rooms the first day.

Hmmm, I guess they aren't requiring the Meet Registration Number because as of date, only 37 people have registered.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fred,
    I got on the registration site right away on the 1st of May. Then called the hotel. They did ask me for the registration number. Now I did call the 888 number first and they said it was booked so, doing a little investigating, I found the direct number to the hotel and all went smoothly.
    Except for the glitch of the 888 number for a general registration booker, all went well if you follow the instructions.
    See you in Colorado.
    Cheers,
    Michael
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Hmmm, I guess they aren't requiring the Meet Registration Number because as of date, only 37 people have registered.

PM sent
    www.Dirthawking.com

Read in a NRA magazine yesterday where sportsman are asking everyone to boycott hunting in Colorado due to their new anti gun legislation.How does everyone feel about not supporting sportsman who traditionally support us?I understand this would be a setback due to manhours spent arranging this meet to hold it in another state.I haven't attended a meet in several years but was going to make this one.Guess I'll have to wait till another time.
    Keith Buchanan

Not sure I totally agree with the anti gun statement. They did tighten up a few laws. Not that I agree with what happened to a state I used to live in, but I don't really see it as anti gun.

That being said, I may have missed a few things that got pushed through, i.e. background check restrictions, magazine capacity, ccw permits.
    www.Dirthawking.com

Quote Originally Posted by KBuck View Post
    Read in a NRA magazine yesterday where sportsman are asking everyone to boycott hunting in Colorado due to their new anti gun legislation.How does everyone feel about not supporting sportsman who traditionally support us?I understand this would be a setback due to manhours spent arranging this meet to hold it in another state.I haven't attended a meet in several years but was going to make this one.Guess I'll have to wait till another time.
    I am not a big fan of gun legislation but I think it is a stretch to say that other hunters traditionally support us (falconers). When they were first trying to legalize falconry in VT all of the other hunting and trapping people were smiles and handshakes until they realized it would draw fire from the tree huggers and animal rights people. Then all you could see was the dust from them fleeing and they wanted nothing to do with falconry.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    I am not a big fan of gun legislation but I think it is a stretch to say that other hunters traditionally support us (falconers). When they were first trying to legalize falconry in VT all of the other hunting and trapping people were smiles and handshakes until they realized it would draw fire from the tree huggers and animal rights people. Then all you could see was the dust from them fleeing and they wanted nothing to do with falconry.
    I have to agree with Ron, our biggest obstacle to getting Sunday hunting for falconry in NC was the dog hunters. They were already allowed to run their dogs but didn't want anyone else to be out there. Let's face it, when it comes down to it, each group is going to stick with its group and do whats best for it. Boycotting the NAFA Meet, in my opinion, isn't the way to go. I would think folks could make more of a statement boycotting any event that involves guns, after all, isn't that the point?
    Fred

Fred,
    I see where you are going with that but IMO boycotting gun related events in CO would have exactly the outcome that the proponents of farcical firearms statutes would like - less gun toting people in their state. The way to piss them off would be to sponsor events to ATTRACT gun wielding out of state people and use the proceeds to fund lobbying to make the laws more firearms owner friendly.

Ron
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Default Meet Hotel

Hey folks, I don't remember the meet hotel getting full by June but I called and it was full. Damn. I have an international guest coming with me and she stayed in the meet hotel last time the meet was in Alamosa and really wanted to stay in the hotel again. I feel bad! I tried to get on a waiting list and they said there was not one? But then had me leave a message with someone named Felicia. Soo, if I really can't get a room at the meet hotel (damn) can someone recommend another hotel in Alamosa? I've never stayed in a hotel in Alamosa. Or does someone have an extra room they are holding on to ???
    Simone
    Washington State

Might contact Pete Rodas & see what he can do for you or recommend
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

People always cancel, just show up and see if they have a room.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Rent a local camper and stay in the parking lot.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Thanks guys, I got on a wait list so we'll see.
    Simone
    Washington State

Simone, you might try the Riverside Hotel. When I was in Alamosa earlier this year, I went by it and thought that if I didn't get a room at the meet hotel that I would try the Riverside. I don't know anything about it other than its just a couple of blocks away from the meet hotel and right on the river that runs through town.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Is anyone trapping during the meet?What are the requirements?
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim backus View Post
    jim
    For non-residents, left nut, first born child and who knows how much paper work to trap in CO, if it is anything like the rest of their regs! LOL
    Fred

Thanks very much for the tip, Jim!
    Simone
    Washington State

jim
    swing thru KS.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Thanks Fred,but I will need that left one a while longer.They can't have my first either(maybe the second,he aint right).

Rich, good idea.
    jim

jim
    Out of state residents have to apply for permit. Season for out of state trapping starts September 1st. I don't know the cost of the permit, but Libby seems to do pretty well with the turn around time, at least for the stuff I've worked with her on.

I will check my regs for more info, then re-post.

Ok, the cost is $150 and there are only 20 permits handed out. Here is the link to the regs, and the info you need is on page 7.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...tions/Ch06.pdf
    Paul Rifle, Colorado
    A lot of birds I've flown have been smarter than a lot of people I have met.

My vet called Colorado today and asked them about the Health Certificate. He was told that I would need to get a import permit {for Colorado} before they would accept the health certificate and that the health certificate is only good for 14 days. Anybody know if this is correct and what does a Import Permit cost in Colorado?
    Jim
    New Mexican

Here is a link to our regs. On page 14 it outlines the requirements regarding a field meet. I would interpret it as if you've pre-registered for the field meet you do not need an import permit, just the health certificate.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...tions/Ch06.pdf

Hope this helps.
    Justin Nucci
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by raptrlvr View Post
    My vet called Colorado today and asked them about the Health Certificate. He was told that I would need to get a import permit {for Colorado} before they would accept the health certificate and that the health certificate is only good for 14 days. Anybody know if this is correct and what does a Import Permit cost in Colorado?
    Check post #8 of this thread Jim. There's no mention of an import permit there, or on the NAFA web page (http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm) about needing an import permit. Health certificates:

A. All participants importing raptors specifically for this meet will need to contact Trish Menchaca of the Colorado State Veterinarian Office at Patricia.Menchaca@state.co.us within 30 days of that transport to arrange for preapproval of a valid health certificate from an accredited veterinarian certifying that the bird(s) are disease free. Be sure to advise Trish that you will be registered for the 2013 NAFA Meet by the first day of that meet.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Here is a link to the non-res falconry permit as well. $55 isn't that bad. I thought CO DPW would rake you over the coals. Plus for the extra 25 cents you can get lost and someone will come and find you free of charge.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...plication1.pdf
    Justin Nucci
    Denver, CO

Thanks Paul, I had read all the posting before, but, when I called the vet today, he then called Colorado and was told a import permit was required. Maybe my vet is not approved to do HC's. I'll have to check it out a little farther.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Not sure I totally agree with the anti gun statement. They did tighten up a few laws. Not that I agree with what happened to a state I used to live in, but I don't really see it as anti gun.

That being said, I may have missed a few things that got pushed through, i.e. background check restrictions, magazine capacity, ccw permits.
    The NRA sickens me lately. I say, lets all go to Colorado, just cause.

Well, things change, I am coming to the meet! Now to figure out all this stuff I need to get before crossing Colorado's state line so they don't arrest me! LOL
    Fred

Ok, roll call, who's going?

I'm in with a bird and a couple dogs this year! Tick tock tick tock!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    Ok, roll call, who's going?

I'm in with a bird and a couple dogs this year! Tick tock tick tock!
    well duh, my hoard is on board. I'm only bringing the prairie, the setter & 2 doxies. Brandon's comin' via Mario, w/jerkin & his redtail. Don't know what I'm coming home with
    Rich in Illinois....

I'll be there with 3 birds 2 dogs and a happy Vet back in Texas
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

Brandi and I, a trailer full of dogs and birds.
    www.Dirthawking.com

I'll be there with a dog or two and probably a bird or two and a Kiwi.
    Simone
    Washington State

Thread Information