Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NAFA National Meet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2013 NAFA National Meet

Ok folks, its that time. Registration is now available for the 2013 NAFA Meet in Alamosa, CO. I would stress to everyone that you read all the requirements before jumping in and registering because I am fearful that folks will register, see all the crap that they have to go through and then decide not to go and we will have to issue a bunch of refunds. So I am warning you to read the entire Meet page and investigate all that it will take before registering. Personally, with all that is required, you couldn't pay me to go to CO to fly my birds! What a load of crap! I do truley feel sorry for the falconers of CO and this is just my personal opinion, but I feel this will be the least attended NAFA Meet in recent times.

Anyhow, go the Meet Page and read all that is involved. One new aspect this year is in order to make your hotel reservation, you will have to have your Meet Registration Number, which will be issued to you when you register online. If you download the mail in form and mail it in, once it is recieved and your payment (check or credit card) clears, you will receive an email with your Meet Registration Confirmation which will include your Meet Registration Number.

If anyone has any problems registering, please contact me and I will help as much as I can. If you have questions about all the hoops and whistles you have to go through, contact the Pete Rodas, the Meet Chairman.

Good luck and I hope everyone has a great time!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you for the heads up on CO. With the above info combined with what I have heard about their heavy handed fish cops I won't drive into the state for any reason. So it begs the question, why are we having a NAFA meet there? There must be other states nearby with enough rabbits and ducks for a few days of hawking.
    Michael Gregston

Quote Originally Posted by footbound View Post
    Thank you for the heads up on CO. With the above info combined with what I have heard about their heavy handed fish cops I won't drive into the state for any reason. So it begs the question, why are we having a NAFA meet there? There must be other states nearby with enough rabbits and ducks for a few days of hawking.
    Good question, this may well be the last meet for Colorado. Alamosa is a nice town, and there have been some historic meets there in the past, but the heavy handedness of the state makes holding a meet there less than desirable. Every year it gets tougher and tougher to find suitable sites for the national meet.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

WOW. I traveled through CO last Sep. I never checked their regs. Wasn't hunting, just stopped to see friends but it appears if the fish cops had stopped I would have needed a non-res lic.
    Nothing like being considered guilty beforehand.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

And an import permit, and a health certificate (though that's pretty much every state now, though they don't all do much to enforce it unless it's commercial). There are definitely more falconry friendly states than Colorado:p

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    And an import permit, and a health certificate (though that's pretty much every state now, though they don't all do much to enforce it unless it's commercial). There are definitely more falconry friendly states than Colorado:p
    Is the Colorado import permit free? If so they are $100 more falconry friendly than Vermont.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

so I have to buy all that license crap, health certs and go thru hoops to work the meet...this is getting ridiculous! If I wasn't committed.....

didn't see dogs, etc listed, I presume I'll have to have HCs on them too.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    so I have to buy all that license crap, health certs and go thru hoops to work the meet...this is getting ridiculous! If I wasn't committed.....

didn't see dogs, etc listed, I presume I'll have to have HCs on them too.
    Technically, you're always supposed to have that when crossing state lines now:P They've just never enforced it before with domestic pets. From what I hear from vet friends, they're taking it more seriously now though.

Technically, you're always supposed to have that when crossing state lines now:P They've just never enforced it before with domestic pets. From what I hear from vet friends, they're taking it more seriously now though.
    It won't be long before they make YOU produce immunization records before you can come in their state. Pretty much a way for the state to make basically free income for doing nothing is all I've ever been able to tell with these sorts of things.
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

What ticks me off the most,we go get the HC for our animals and no one checks them, I was at one meet that wardens were there to check our HC. My vet will be smiling come November though!
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

Quote Originally Posted by COMEAUX View Post
    What ticks me off the most,we go get the HC for our animals and no one checks them, I was at one meet that wardens were there to check our HC. My vet will be smiling come November though!
    CO will be there ta check everything I'm told. Since I never fly at a meet, may just leave them all home. High price to pay
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by COMEAUX View Post
    I'd ask them for a HC for their prey populations because you paid to have your bird defined as fit just for their satisfaction, and you'd like it to leave in the same shape you brought it into their state. Seems only fair right?
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    I'd ask them for a HC for their prey populations because you paid to have your bird defined as fit just for their satisfaction, and you'd like it to leave in the same shape you brought it into their state. Seems only fair right?
    The state of VT jerks us around on this and it is absurd. They require a HC and $100 import permit for a VT falconer to bring in a bird even if it was
    trapped 50' from the VT border. There is no permit needed for domestic animals or pets ranging from a hamster to a draft horse and an out of state falconer can bring a bird here and stay indefinitely without a a health certificate or import permit.

Why? Who knows. We have no poultry industry to speak of and judging by the birds we can trap legally there are very few birds of prey here in the first place to infect with anything.

And what of those pigeon racers? They transport their birds all over and release them sans permits.

I would not be as bitter about this if everyone who brought ANY animal into the state needed a permit and HC but falconers are being singled out.

OK enough ranting. This thread seems to have morphed from a meet threa to health certificates but I needed to vent.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post

AND see the states liability insurance in case your bird gets hurt while in their domain.
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

since I have ta buy a license, guess Mario's gonna have ta sacrifice a nap, & I'm gonna go kill something one afternoon..
    Rich in Illinois....

There is definitely a lot of hoops to jump through but I am going to go for it anyway. The main hotel sold out its 113 rooms the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chavez View Post
    There is definitely a lot of hoops to jump through but I am going to go for it anyway. The main hotel sold out its 113 rooms the first day.

Hmmm, I guess they aren't requiring the Meet Registration Number because as of date, only 37 people have registered.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Hmmm, I guess they aren't requiring the Meet Registration Number because as of date, only 37 people have registered.

PM sent
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Fred,
    I got on the registration site right away on the 1st of May. Then called the hotel. They did ask me for the registration number. Now I did call the 888 number first and they said it was booked so, doing a little investigating, I found the direct number to the hotel and all went smoothly.
    Except for the glitch of the 888 number for a general registration booker, all went well if you follow the instructions.
    See you in Colorado.
    Cheers,
    Michael
    In the "Art"
    Michael W. Kuriga

Read in a NRA magazine yesterday where sportsman are asking everyone to boycott hunting in Colorado due to their new anti gun legislation.How does everyone feel about not supporting sportsman who traditionally support us?I understand this would be a setback due to manhours spent arranging this meet to hold it in another state.I haven't attended a meet in several years but was going to make this one.Guess I'll have to wait till another time.
    Keith Buchanan

Not sure I totally agree with the anti gun statement. They did tighten up a few laws. Not that I agree with what happened to a state I used to live in, but I don't really see it as anti gun.

That being said, I may have missed a few things that got pushed through, i.e. background check restrictions, magazine capacity, ccw permits.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Not sure I totally agree with the anti gun statement. They did tighten up a few laws. Not that I agree with what happened to a state I used to live in, but I don't really see it as anti gun.

That being said, I may have missed a few things that got pushed through, i.e. background check restrictions, magazine capacity, ccw permits.
    The NRA sickens me lately. I say, lets all go to Colorado, just cause.

Well, things change, I am coming to the meet! Now to figure out all this stuff I need to get before crossing Colorado's state line so they don't arrest me! LOL
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by KBuck View Post
    Read in a NRA magazine yesterday where sportsman are asking everyone to boycott hunting in Colorado due to their new anti gun legislation.How does everyone feel about not supporting sportsman who traditionally support us?I understand this would be a setback due to manhours spent arranging this meet to hold it in another state.I haven't attended a meet in several years but was going to make this one.Guess I'll have to wait till another time.
    I am not a big fan of gun legislation but I think it is a stretch to say that other hunters traditionally support us (falconers). When they were first trying to legalize falconry in VT all of the other hunting and trapping people were smiles and handshakes until they realized it would draw fire from the tree huggers and animal rights people. Then all you could see was the dust from them fleeing and they wanted nothing to do with falconry.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    I am not a big fan of gun legislation but I think it is a stretch to say that other hunters traditionally support us (falconers). When they were first trying to legalize falconry in VT all of the other hunting and trapping people were smiles and handshakes until they realized it would draw fire from the tree huggers and animal rights people. Then all you could see was the dust from them fleeing and they wanted nothing to do with falconry.
    I have to agree with Ron, our biggest obstacle to getting Sunday hunting for falconry in NC was the dog hunters. They were already allowed to run their dogs but didn't want anyone else to be out there. Let's face it, when it comes down to it, each group is going to stick with its group and do whats best for it. Boycotting the NAFA Meet, in my opinion, isn't the way to go. I would think folks could make more of a statement boycotting any event that involves guns, after all, isn't that the point?
    Fred

Fred,
    I see where you are going with that but IMO boycotting gun related events in CO would have exactly the outcome that the proponents of farcical firearms statutes would like - less gun toting people in their state. The way to piss them off would be to sponsor events to ATTRACT gun wielding out of state people and use the proceeds to fund lobbying to make the laws more firearms owner friendly.

Ron
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Might contact Pete Rodas & see what he can do for you or recommend
    Rich in Illinois....

People always cancel, just show up and see if they have a room.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Rent a local camper and stay in the parking lot.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Thanks guys, I got on a wait list so we'll see.
    Simone
    Washington State

Simone, you might try the Riverside Hotel. When I was in Alamosa earlier this year, I went by it and thought that if I didn't get a room at the meet hotel that I would try the Riverside. I don't know anything about it other than its just a couple of blocks away from the meet hotel and right on the river that runs through town.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Is anyone trapping during the meet?What are the requirements?
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim backus View Post
    jim
    For non-residents, left nut, first born child and who knows how much paper work to trap in CO, if it is anything like the rest of their regs! LOL
    Fred

Thanks very much for the tip, Jim!
    Simone
    Washington State

Quote Originally Posted by jim backus View Post
    jim
    swing thru KS.
    Rich in Illinois....

Thread Information