Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You said what?!

Default You said what?!

[/IMG]boy do they have some expressions
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

My wife's bird is on the left mine is on the right

They look like twins.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Nice Reds!

I don't mean to be rude...but that T perch has got to go.
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

That right there would make me real nervous. Not worried about breaking out? let me open a can of worms...........ever think about flying them in a cast?
    JEN

Keep pure your highest ideal; strive ever towards it; let naught stop you or turn you aside.

Too cute, great photo!
    ~Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by paganlove22 View Post
    That right there would make me real nervous. Not worried about breaking out? let me open a can of worms...........ever think about flying them in a cast?
    Jen, rt in a cast? I did in the 70's and by the look of things I would.
    Russell Whetstone

I don't want to search, male and female or tweeners? by the feet left looks male right is female... their beaks both look female and maybe lighting with the eyes and brow ridge left is female right is male, and they look like twins too, their marking seems very close.. cool pic.

This topic has been debated before.....but flying in a cast is asking for trouble.

As a kid, I knew a guy who's RTH killed three other RTH's in one season.

It's my opinion to think twice here.
    Todd Brown "If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the wings of a vulture... that's immortality enough for me." ~Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by robhawkyyz View Post
    I don't want to search, male and female or tweeners? by the feet left looks male right is female... their beaks both look female and maybe lighting with the eyes and brow ridge left is female right is male, and they look like twins too, their marking seems very close.. cool pic.
    Both are males!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah we thought about flyin in a cast but to much to risk. I would feel terrible if they went to getting after each other. They are both males. And are very much tolerant of each other. Their markings are almost almost the same but size wise mine is a little smaller by 75-100 grams.

Just to let you know sharp tail we were sitting right there when we took the picture and the t perch is not something we normally use but it was the biggest one we had to put both birds on for the picture.,,,since then we don't ever put the birds on the same perch just don't want to take the chance....
    Hollie Topash
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones's soul remains unawakened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brown View Post
    This topic has been debated before.....but flying in a cast is asking for trouble.

Todd, true I had a female rt that would kill anything!!I also have had Female harris that would try to kill other harris? Looking at both birds being males that are weather close to each other all the time. and by the look of things there sitting on a T perch together with out crabing.
    Russell Whetstone

Russell,

All it would take would is a one time talon through the skull and all that hard work training that bird would be wasted.....however, this is a different topic and I don't want to steal this thread....So PM me our we can start a different thread.
    Todd Brown "If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the wings of a vulture... that's immortality enough for me." ~Edward Abbey

There is a risk flying any 2 birds together, no matter what species. Personally, I know several folks that fly red-tails in cast. If you want to do it, go for it. Just like flying any birds in a cast, you just have to be cautious and aware of what is going on at all times. Sometime in the future, I plan on flying 2 red-tails together, just have too many other birds I want to fly right now to take on that project. LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know flying in a cast would be Pretty neat but we (wife/I) don't want to risk getting one of our birds injured/killed by forcing the to fly together. my2¢.

Wow they are strikingly similar in appearance, pretty dark too! That look is hilarious.
    Anthony Scott - Apprentice -"My Lord Protector's hawks do tower so well; They know their master loves to be aloft And bears his thoughts above his falcon's pitch.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fly View Post
    [/IMG]boy do they have some expressions
    I refuse to step in the "flying in a cast" debate. Not experienced enough.

This picture says to me "Dude...Tic Tac" !
    Dan, aka oldguy.

___/.6"\
    __(-~\:"\
    Chesley K.

-Chesley: LMAO!
    Anthony Scott - Apprentice -"My Lord Protector's hawks do tower so well; They know their master loves to be aloft And bears his thoughts above his falcon's pitch.”

O lord those are awesome MEMEs
    R. John Davenport
    http://www.rjohnart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Brown View Post

I know it has been debated to death every so often over the years on here.....thats why I said it. lol
    JEN

Keep pure your highest ideal; strive ever towards it; let naught stop you or turn you aside.

I am late to se that pics but make me laugh that a good one
    jean H St Colomban,Quebec

Thing about cast flying redtails if you havent done it you dont know what your talking about. In my experience they were easier than harris hawks to work with. Now granted the birds need to get along and not all redtails do but if you have the right birds it works like a charm. my cast would cuddle up together on the back of a chair in the living room and fluff up and sleep. They would be so close their feathers merged together, wish I had taken pics.
    Bottomline is redtails do work as a cast not all will do it but when you get some that do it is a blast. My birds flew at 26oz and 35oz respectively and were never aggressive to one another. Sorry if this will derail the thread, those memes had me laughing my ass off.

all the best
    Terence

Shirley temple..... Hockey stick!!!!!

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!
    Paul Rifle, Colorado
    A lot of birds I've flown have been smarter than a lot of people I have met.

Terrence...it was my opinion to think twice not necessarily to not do it....and I have flown RT's in a cast years ago,didn't even question it(I was a kid) but after seeing my buddies hawk kill 3 birds in one season, I won't do it again...it's just not worth the risk to me.

RT's are not sociable animals like HH's. It's not in their nature unless they are a mated pair. It's one thing to ask a Lion to hunt in a pride...it's another to ask a Tiger.

Yeah we don't fly em in a cast. Way to much to risk for me. They are nest mates. But where caught 25-30 miles apart and a month apart. But will sit on the perch side x side.

Falcons are not social either, yet there are people who have done it... SUCCESSFULLY
    Christopher Ly
    "Life is a garden. Dig it."

Have them at weight and go hawking, you'd be surprised. It's been done a lot, only in the last 15 years have people gotten all wimpy about flying birds together.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

People have flown RT's in a cast successfully too, me included....that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I'm afraid we're running the risk of highjacking this thread...and I don't mean that I should have the last word but this will be my last word on flying RT's in a cast, unless it's on another thread.

I've flown several RT's in casts. Me and a few buddies did it all the time with up to 4 RT's at the same time! 2 were eyas birds and 2 were passage. 3 females and 1 male. Never had a problem. We were treated to some incredible flights, some of which I will never forget.

That being said, I do think it is up to the individual birds, and ultimately up to the individual falconer to make the choice. Not flying in a cast is NOT wrong. Even though I enjoyed flying in a cast, I do think life and death should be "Mano-a-Mano" to make it fair for all involved.

Todd, I agree-- this will be my last post as well concerning casts on this thread. Don't mean to derail the thread, it has been great seeing the comments on the two expressions of the RT's. Great photo too!
    Paul Rifle, Colorado
    A lot of birds I've flown have been smarter than a lot of people I have met.

Oh...and by the way...a couple of nice looking hawks

Yeah we don't fly em in a cast. Way to much to risk for me. They are nest mates. But where caught 25-30 miles apart and a month apart. But will sit on the perch side x side.
    Okay, how do you know they are nest mates? Bit of a stretch.
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Ray,
    It is a bit of a stretch but we did DNA test on them. And confirmed it all.

Ray,
    It is a bit of a stretch but we did DNA test on them. And confirmed it all.

DAAAAAAAMN! is that true or just a really good comeback?
    Jeff

Thread Information