Thread: Snafu my new eyas prairie falcon

Default Snafu my new eyas prairie falcon

Well to make it real here are some pics of my new baby. She came from an eyrie outside of Farmington NM, Paul Domski kindly pulled her for me as he as more experience on the rope and I am a chicken.

Right before she just crapped in a bowl of fresh food.

all the best
    Terence

I look forward to hearing about her. I always enjoy your threads.
    Ross Dirks
    Pheasant hawker in NW Iowa

Going to be boring baby stuff for a while doubt I will get any real hunting until September. Just socializing with the dogs and tame hack when shes ready.
    Terence

That is great deff. Looking forward to thread and hunting stories
    HAROLD JAMES II

How will you be flying her
    Jordan Turner (cooler than a polar bears toe nails)

Quote Originally Posted by xjturnerx View Post
    How will you be flying her
    Hmmm, let me get out my crystal ball! I see dogs, I see jack rabbits, I see long chases with said prairie smacking the crap out of said jack rabbits! Am I anywhere close Terence? LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I figured that's what was going to happen. Just thought I would ask
    Jordan Turner (cooler than a polar bears toe nails)

Thats the plan hopefully it will all come together without any disasters along the way.
    Terence

You and your Acronyms...
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

Updates?
    Richard
    Even the greatest was once a beginner. Don’t be afraid to take that first step.

Default Farmington

Terence,

That is a long ways from Albuquerque. Do you know if the prairie falcons in New Mexico are becoming scarce ? I would have thought there were closer eyries to Albuquerque.
    So how is she looking now.
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by California Native View Post
    Terence,

That is a long ways from Albuquerque. Do you know if the prairie falcons in New Mexico are becoming scarce ? I would have thought there were closer eyries to Albuquerque.
    So how is she looking now.
    Hi Dan,

No, prairies are not becoming scarce in NM. The week before we took this bird we went over a cliff close to ABQ, but due to a big overhang I couldn't get into the eyrie. We went with this one because is was a sure thing, 40' cliff with the eyrie 5' from the top. Both eyries had 4 healthy eyasses, given our drought a it was impressive to see the birds doing so well.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Default Glad to hear that !

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Hi Dan,

No, prairies are not becoming scarce in NM. The week before we took this bird we went over a cliff close to ABQ, but due to a big overhang I couldn't get into the eyrie. We went with this one because is was a sure thing, 40' cliff with the eyrie 5' from the top. Both eyries had 4 healthy eyasses, given our drought a it was impressive to see the birds doing so well.
    That's good to hear Paul. Some of the very dry deserts in California seem to be active but not producing. I expect it just the extended dry conditions. Other sites in California where more moisture is present, the pairs seem well and producing normally. Two prairie falcon eyries I went to in California have been replaced by peregrines. I wondered if that the case with New Mexico eyries ? I'm finding prairie falcons and peregrines using the same cliffs in parts of Oregon where the habitat overlaps. While not unique in early years, the sites now have both species again after years of seeing only prairie falcons on them. Are you seeing that in New Mexico ?
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

That's good to hear Paul. Some of the very dry deserts in California seem to be active but not producing. I expect it just the extended dry conditions. Other sites in California where more moisture is present, the pairs seem well and producing normally. Two prairie falcon eyries I went to in California have been replaced by peregrines. I wondered if that the case with New Mexico eyries ? I'm finding prairie falcons and peregrines using the same cliffs in parts of Oregon where the habitat overlaps. While not unique in early years, the sites now have both species again after years of seeing only prairie falcons on them. Are you seeing that in New Mexico ?
    Yes, a lot of prairie locations have been taken over, or taken back, by peregrines, which just seems to push the prairies out into more marginal habitat. Their numbers are still fine, I saw one yesterday soaring in the same thermal with a redtail.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Yes, a lot of prairie locations have been taken over, or taken back, by peregrines, which just seems to push the prairies out into more marginal habitat. Their numbers are still fine, I saw one yesterday soaring in the same thermal with a redtail.
    I remember standing ON Shiprock, watching a deeply molting female(prairie) fly about. How the heck do we get down to that one we wondered? We didn't. Getting up on the rock was hard enough.

Update time, snafu is doing great growing rapidly all the usual eyas stuff yada yada.
    So here are some pics which is what you want anyway.

Hanging with the hounds

Modern kids cant get them off the computer

Beer cans her favorite toy
    Terence

More pics for your enjoyment

Starting look like a falcon and learning to hood just fine

First day out preparing her mentally for tame hack she will be flying soon
    Terence

More

She is starting to tear food for the first time today, with any competence at least.
    All the best
    Terence

Oh she is currently 833g, thought I had better mention that as someone will ask for sure.
    Terence

She's looking great Terence. Thank you for keeping the log going. It always fun to see all these young birds grow.

What game do you intended to target with her?
    Last edited by Chris L.; 06-15-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Default weight

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwinger View Post
    Oh she is currently 833g, thought I had better mention that as someone will ask for sure.
    Terrance,

What are typical weights for New Mexico females. If there is such a thing as typical. Maybe Paul,Tanner, Pete and other New Mexico folks will add what they know about weights.
    When I took eyass females in California they flew around 27-28 ounces. Same for one here in Oregon. But I have also seen very small ones here flown at 25 ounce flying weight. These small ones were really small in looks. Those weights were not from under fed or developed falcons. So many other birds I have seen I thought should fly at larger weights and were under fed and under developed.
    I can't tell from your birds stage of development just where she falls in weight/size. Can you show me the hood you are using..can't tell from the photo you have posted.

Dan
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Terrance,

What are typical weights for New Mexico females. If there is such a thing as typical. Maybe Paul,Tanner, Pete and other New Mexico folks will add what they know about weights.
    When I took eyass females in California they flew around 27-28 ounces. Same for one here in Oregon. But I have also seen very small ones here flown at 25 ounce flying weight. These small ones were really small in looks. Those weights were not from under fed or developed falcons. So many other birds I have seen I thought should fly at larger weights and were under fed and under developed.
    I can't tell from your birds stage of development just where she falls in weight/size. Can you show me the hood you are using..can't tell from the photo you have posted.

Dan
    I dont have a good answer myself my last prairie was a rehab passage that ended up flying at 776g by the end of the season but started at 700g. This one is a eyas so going to be a little different as long as she flies over 700g I will be happy although my smallest jack killing falcon flew at 650g so if she was tiny she should still do it. size isnt everything confidence and courage is as important as being a huge bird. Hopefully a few more knowledgable locals will chime in on this subject.
    Terence

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Hmmm, let me get out my crystal ball! I see dogs, I see jack rabbits, I see long chases with said prairie smacking the crap out of said jack rabbits! Am I anywhere close Terence? LOL
    I just need to read the thread. Thanks fred for answering my question
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

A few pics from the last week, she is coming along well and should be flying soon.

At my buddy Mikes house

She has got the hang of the pole perch and tearing her own food

Breakfast at the hack field

Exploring her surroundings

All the best
    Terence

More pics

Hanging with her hack buddies

She likes to spend a lot of time with the dogs and also likes to sleep with them, I am trying to get a pic but they always get up when I pull out the camera

Tasty toes!

On the way home

All the best Terence
    Terence

Looks good. Why did you decide to imprint rather than take as a sore hawk like you did with the coopers last season? Or a passage?
    Ross Dirks
    Pheasant hawker in NW Iowa

Default Quite a group

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwinger View Post
    More pics

Hanging with her hack buddies

She likes to spend a lot of time with the dogs and also likes to sleep with them, I am trying to get a pic but they always get up when I pull out the camera

Tasty toes!

On the way home

All the best Terence
    Terence,

That's quite a group you have there and she seem comfortable among your dogs. Is that location south of Albuquerque ? Sandia's in the background ?
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Terence,

That's quite a group you have there and she seem comfortable among your dogs. Is that location south of Albuquerque ? Sandia's in the background ?
    Yes she even sleeps with the dogs at this stage of the hack. You are also correct that those are the Sandia Mountains in the background. I should also mention the road next where I am hacking is closed and has no traffic in case anyone thought I was insane.

All the best
    Terence

After a week of vacation I am trying to get back on track with the tame hack. work has got in the way a lot but managing to organize things a bit more and Iam getting Snafu out.She is flying more and killing random objects especially old beer cans she likes shiny things. The weather has been another issue with lots of thunderstorms and high winds with them although she is getting the hang of the wing and it gets her up a bit.

Thunderstorm at the hack field

Killing cans

Getting ready to launch with storm in the background

The dogs get thirsty when she camps out by the water bowl

All the best
    Terence

More pics

She likes to play with the water

The saluki has given up chasing the falcon, it isnt as much fun when the falcon chases you back apparently.

She likes the hare lure

All the best
    Terence

Glad you're back at it after your vacation time. Sure would be nice if you'd send more of those storms ALL THE WAY DOWN HERE! I see them coming on the radar and then they just fizzle into vapor when they get here.LOL Virga is a common sight around here.
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Thread Information