Thread: Snafu my new eyas prairie falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Glad to hear that !

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Hi Dan,

No, prairies are not becoming scarce in NM. The week before we took this bird we went over a cliff close to ABQ, but due to a big overhang I couldn't get into the eyrie. We went with this one because is was a sure thing, 40' cliff with the eyrie 5' from the top. Both eyries had 4 healthy eyasses, given our drought a it was impressive to see the birds doing so well.
    That's good to hear Paul. Some of the very dry deserts in California seem to be active but not producing. I expect it just the extended dry conditions. Other sites in California where more moisture is present, the pairs seem well and producing normally. Two prairie falcon eyries I went to in California have been replaced by peregrines. I wondered if that the case with New Mexico eyries ? I'm finding prairie falcons and peregrines using the same cliffs in parts of Oregon where the habitat overlaps. While not unique in early years, the sites now have both species again after years of seeing only prairie falcons on them. Are you seeing that in New Mexico ?
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by California Native View Post
    That's good to hear Paul. Some of the very dry deserts in California seem to be active but not producing. I expect it just the extended dry conditions. Other sites in California where more moisture is present, the pairs seem well and producing normally. Two prairie falcon eyries I went to in California have been replaced by peregrines. I wondered if that the case with New Mexico eyries ? I'm finding prairie falcons and peregrines using the same cliffs in parts of Oregon where the habitat overlaps. While not unique in early years, the sites now have both species again after years of seeing only prairie falcons on them. Are you seeing that in New Mexico ?
    Yes, a lot of prairie locations have been taken over, or taken back, by peregrines, which just seems to push the prairies out into more marginal habitat. Their numbers are still fine, I saw one yesterday soaring in the same thermal with a redtail.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Yes, a lot of prairie locations have been taken over, or taken back, by peregrines, which just seems to push the prairies out into more marginal habitat. Their numbers are still fine, I saw one yesterday soaring in the same thermal with a redtail.
    I remember standing ON Shiprock, watching a deeply molting female(prairie) fly about. How the heck do we get down to that one we wondered? We didn't. Getting up on the rock was hard enough.

Update time, snafu is doing great growing rapidly all the usual eyas stuff yada yada.
    So here are some pics which is what you want anyway.

Hanging with the hounds

Modern kids cant get them off the computer

Beer cans her favorite toy
    Terence

More pics for your enjoyment

Starting look like a falcon and learning to hood just fine

First day out preparing her mentally for tame hack she will be flying soon
    Terence

More

She is starting to tear food for the first time today, with any competence at least.
    All the best
    Terence

Oh she is currently 833g, thought I had better mention that as someone will ask for sure.
    Terence

Thread Information