The differences between individual hawks always amazes me. Apache was a really laid back bird. He recognized the CR early on, but wasn't ever zealous about anything early on and it took a lot of work to get him to work for the CR and offer behaviors.

Ruger is gonna be different. After just a couple feedings, he is already working for the CR. I am rewarding calm behaviors at this point. When I approach, he chirps and stands and makes his way to the side of the nest bowl closest to me. I wait for him to sit and have a relaxed demeanor before he gets fed. I wait for him to calm down and to be quiet before I CR and give him another bite. I am trying to be careful and reward the calmness and self-restraint at this point. My goal is to establish myself to be seen as the parent.

Ruger is not on a feeding schedule as well. I will be feeding him at random intervals throughout the day. Sometimes I will feed him a lot, sometimes he will only get a couple bites. This would be similar to the parents feeding whatever size meal they catch whenever they catch it. Also, the method of delivering the food I am using is with my bare hands. I simply set the bowl of meat down and then pick up a small piece. When I see something I'm looking for, I CR and hand him a piece of meat.

As you will notice, I also ascribe to Layman's thoughts on asper prevention using conifer needles. Ruger will always be surrounded with conifer needles in his nestbowl and later on I will put ground conifer needles anytime he is traveling in his giant hood.