Thread: Ruger - 2013 Imprint Male Goshawk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    Does he show any favoritism or lack of use in the wing on the same side? Foot responses equal? (ability to grab, etc)
    He has less control of his right foot for sure. He has a hard time getting his right foot under him and his foot flat. His right wing seems to droop some, but I have assumed that it was because that is how he stabilizes himself.

When he was on his back I saw him clench both of his feet and show he can open and close them, but upright I haven't seen him foot or try to grab anything with either foot.
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

29 days

Ruger is standing finally. He is talking small steps, but not with any sort of control or balance. My guess is he will figure out how to cope on his own.

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Jeff,

Perhaps Ruger will overcome. Humans have a rather encouraging record of recovery from various injuries and I hope he may too.

Harry.

31 days (706g)

Ruger is standing much better, but he is not walking much. He tries to flap some but falls over. Tonight he stepped/stumbled out of the nestbowl. I took advantage of the situation to get some pics and weigh him. I'm still rewarding calmness.

Here are some pics:

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

33 days (724g)

Good news with Ruger. His foot still has an issue, but he can walk and stand on it. He has control of his toes as well. I think he is going to be okay for hunting. I told my wife that it is rare to find a custom gos like this. Most goshawks have normal feet. To find one like Ruger that has a foot specially designed for strangling squirrels is pretty special.

Since he is now getting out of his nest bowl, I suspect he will progress rapidly next week. Instead of going straight to a hacking area, I want to observe his perching skills once he branches. I will set him up in a large flight chamber next week and then if all looks well we will transition to a tame hack.
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Thread Information