Quote Originally Posted by mainefalconer View Post
It's amazing to hear what weights you guys are flying these little males at. There's quite a difference between the sexes. I'm flying my female daily at weights between 175 and 180 right now.
They almost don't even look like the same species do they. Someone posted a good pic of a female recently and the legs are ENORMOUS compared to Finn's. I asked on another thread if anyone remembered reading in the Imprint Accipiter that McD stated all the successful muskets he had seen were around 84g. I don't have a copy of the book, but read it many years ago and that is what I remember, but I could be wrong. I would be deeply indebted if anyone would confirm or refute that number for me.

Took Finn out this evening after church. He didn't fly the first two slips hard at all. Not really sure why at all. The next slip however he flew super hard and even though the bird was already on the wing, Finn flew him down easily, and the bird flew through an old utility type trailer and Finn was on him, but it went around an arm on the trailer and then shot up in a super thick tree and Finn went in the tree behind it and then the screaming started. I parked the car and walked over to the tree and just as I got under them, the bird tore loose. I let Finn extricate himself while I walked to the car and then called him back to the car. We went around the building again and there were sparrows outside and Finn left the window from 40-50 yds and they evaded him at the last second by flying under a shed apparently. Darkness got us at that point. So even though he caught one and had it for 30 seconds or more we went home empty handed. I did a little OC game with him and he is on his perch with a big ol' crop looking a little sleepy already