Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Hawk For The Bush 2013 Imprint Sharp-shinned Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
    BTW I did say zip tied directly to the leg (tarsus) w/o anklet. There is no danger to the bird done that way, and I've done many sharpies for many years that way w/o a single issue.
    I have always been worried of the zip tie tightening around the leg if it is put directly around the tarsus and also the potential negative effects that might come about if the bird was lost with this setup. That has been my personal feeling about this method. Then again I am paranoid to the extreme. Funny thing about that, it seems the more precautions you take the weirder stuff Murphy throws at you... We all do things differently for sure. The funny thing is, I thought you were criticizing the method insinuating that's what I was doing LOL.
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeagler View Post
    I have always been worried of the zip tie tightening around the leg if it is put directly around the tarsus and also the potential negative effects that might come about if the bird was lost with this setup. That has been my personal feeling about this method. Then again I am paranoid to the extreme. Funny thing about that, it seems the more precautions you take the weirder stuff Murphy throws at you... We all do things differently for sure. The funny thing is, I thought you were criticizing the method insinuating that's what I was doing LOL.
    I don't use a cable tie for the transmitter but I have used them a lot for bells. I do however use a piece of silicon tubing (like fuel line tubing for a weed whacker) over the cable tie to prevent it from closing further and to cushion it it so it is not directly on the scales.

Contrary to popular belief even black cable ties don't last forever and your bird is more likely to become lunch for a redtail or be killed in some other natural process than to be caught up on a cable tie. If the bird gets caught up on a leather bewitt it will die long before the leather degrades to the point where it will break.
    Last edited by rkumetz; 11-27-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Spelling faux pas
    Ron N1WT Vermont

My thought as well Ron. I would be more fearful of the jesses becoming the weapon of demise , and have saw first hand how they can hang up. In fact I sent a goshawk to a friend in Canada several years ago that got hung up on a power wire when the jesses self tied themselves to the wire. By the time my friend got the power company to come rescue the bird it had died.
    "you believe you understand what I said, do realize what you heard is not what I meant"
    Barry

Thread Information