Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Hawk For The Bush 2013 Imprint Sharp-shinned Hawk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Hawk For The Bush 2013 Imprint Sharp-shinned Hawk

I'm enjoying this little hawk immensely so far! He gets fed roughly every two hours some times less but never more than 4 hours. I've been feeding only sparrows and starlings. I had my freezer full of small birds before I even got him. He eats about four/five sparrows a day so far. Very alert and active and easy to feed. Today he stood for the first time a couple of times for a few seconds. I keep him in a tall clear plastic tote under a heating lamp on a dimmer switch to adjust the temperature. I've used this in the past with imprints and it works a treat. I'll keep everyone posted to his progress. I will not be following any type of recipe. I have imprinted a few birds now and will go with my own methods and adjust accordingly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BestBeagler; 06-19-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added pictures or it just didn't happen right?
    Isaac

He's growing fast. He's starting to stand for a few seconds yesterday and try's to take a few steps. Today he's starting to try to walk (if you can call it that) and flap his wings! Eating lots of good sparrows and dipping the tidbits in water to keep him hydrated and making sure he gets the good fat and brains. They are special birds. He already is my favorite of all the eyases I have raised. There is just something about these guys.
    Isaac

And here's a picture of my good friend Joe Katt and myself. We've been emailing and talking over the phone back and forth now for over three years. He taught me most of what I know about finding accipiter nests. It was great to meet him in person.
    Isaac

These were just taken now. I sit with him outside a couple of times a day in then in the sun to get the vitamin D to make sure he grows strong bones. When he opens his beak I put him in the shade to cool down. He's something else how fast he grows.
    Isaac

He looks great!
    Jeff

Don't let him fool you folks, here is Isaac in his natural habitat on sharpie day.
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by colelkhunter View Post
    Don't let him fool you folks, here is Isaac in his natural habitat on sharpie day.
    LMAO yep on the ground looking up LOL. I hate climbing trees. Look at my chubby belly. I need to loose some weight. It takes me so long to climb and since I'm so fat I really need to dig those spikes in. I can do it. I'd climb almost anything if I HAD to. Thankfully, Joe was a good sport and did the climbing.
    Isaac

He's growing fast. Petting him lots and playing with his feet. He's standing up and flapping now and again. I put anklets on him already. I have found the earlier I do this the better. Once they become aware of the use of their feet they do pick at their anklets a bit at first. Maggie the gos would still pick at her anklets out of boredom I think, but my guess is if I put them on before they gain the use of their feet and realize what they are the anklets might just become a part of them. In the past I would put them on early but always about the time they were standing well for a bit. This time I put them on really early.
    Isaac

Here he is today.
    Isaac

really looking forward to the sharp-shin threads this year, bucket list #4 for me. thanks and can't wait to read how you plan on doing things
    Raymond

He looks good Isaac. How much longer before you go to get your goshawk?
    Thanks,
    Wes

Some pictures from this evening.
    Isaac

Your bird is quite a bit younger than mine. Finn has some feathers so far out on his back that the white is showing.
    Thanks,
    Wes

He's starting to tear off of the scored carcasses now and really working them over. I am surprised to find he prefers to work on the carcass himself over me feeding him? I usually find they prefer the freebee easy to eat tidbits offered but he actually would rather use his feet and pull his own food. In fact on more than one occasion he could be enticed to eat by dropping the tidbits in front of him for him to pick it up on his own. I will still offer him food from my fingers but also just leave a carcass in there for him to work on when he wants. I'll post some picture of him latter on today.
    Isaac

Hey Isaac, how's everything going with you and the shin?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffandheidi View Post
    Hey Isaac, how's everything going with you and the shin?
    Very good! I love this guy just like we all feel about our shins! I told my wife yesterday this little hawk is my favorite hawk I have imprinted and I think I would cry if I lost him LOL. So, I will only be hunting him in the open country and not risk hawking in the city unless we are in big fields. I just don't want to loose him due to a collision. If I can reduce the odds anything bad happening I will.

He is seriously maybe three days behind yours and Wes's bird maybe a bit more. Everything you and Wes see in your birds I see in mine and I mean EVERYTHING. From the squatting while muting to instinctual butt dunking when getting lightly misted in the rain the other day. It's amazing.

Since mines a few days younger I see a sneak peek into what mine will do a couple days ahead. You guys are doing such a good job with your threads and since yours are a head of mine I've just kind of stopped putting the updates as much. You guys better be out in the field before me though!
    Isaac

Hey Isaac! Enjoying your shin thread immensely. Thanks for posting and will be following your guy along with all the others. Look forward to all the hunting stories!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Here are some pictures from this morning. He's younger then the others on here. He's plucking and pulling on whole sparrows but it's just exercise at this point. I still feed him from my fingers to fill him up. He is not as hungry in the morning compared to the evenings and is not as hungry as often.
    Isaac

I still have him under the heating lamp turned down low at night. I wonder if I can stop with that tonight. I feel better safe than sorry and he seems to like a little heat still.

On another note, I heard that shins like bathing and boy they sure do! I take him out a couple times a day in the hot sun and mist him with the warm water that's in the hose.
    He enjoys it to no end. So funny watching him. When he's done he jumps up to his nest box soaks up the sun and preens away.

I have not had to tie him down at all so far. Compared to the rest of the guys on here this bird is staying in his basket most of the time or perches on the edges and handles. I also have him higher up in the house too so that may help but even outside on the table he doesn't have the urge to take off for higher perching spots. I wonder if it's because he's just younger than the others.
    Isaac

He fledged yesterday he flew four feet. Today he's flying 8 feet and landing pretty steadily. I tied him up for the first time and attached his jesses. It was non eventful him being tied up for the first time.

I am hand feeding this bird from my fingers and his manners so far are great. He's very patient and waits for me to feed him. I pluck the bird in front of him and the feathers really get him going. Then, I open the bird in front of him and just pull off pieces of meat and he just waits till I hand him his tidbits and he takes them gently. He lowers his body and head and backs up a little and takes the tidbits gently. I really like how things are going with him so far. I will sometimes give him a whole carcass to feed on and I will feed him tidbits as he eats of the carcass. He looks forward to the tidbits offered from my fingers.

I have not been that "touchy feely" with him since I've had him. I have not made a huge effort to touch his feet or anything like that. I've just gone with the flow and enjoyed the imprinting process. I haven't gone out of my way to spend a ton of time with him. I spend time with him when I feel like it. He's spent a decent amount of time in the car while I drive. Today while I was driving he jumped out of his basket that was in the passenger seat and jumped up to my shoulder and fell a sleep cheeping at me and preening my hair. I was kind of surprised at how affectionate he was.

I've thrown every set plan/recipe out the window this year and just following some foundations and things I have learned in the past and it's so much more enjoyable for me. I'm trying to emulate nature as close as I can when imprinting this bird. We'll see what happens in the future but I'm enjoying the present!
    Last edited by BestBeagler; 07-03-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Grammer
    Isaac

He is looking great Isaac! Man, I feel for you folks in Michigan, to have to put a temporary band on a sharpshin is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Isaac, he's beautiful! Love the way you describe working with him, too. Awesome bird!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Wow, a lot of changes for this little guy in a short time. A change of plans happened. My intention was to tie him up as soon as he learned to fly but yesterday I had to go check up on goshawk nests and could not take him as I had to do a lot of hiking and did not want to tie him up when I was not around and my wife did not like the idea of risking anything going wrong when I was away that might have to be fixed that she might have missed. So she closed all the blinds turned off all the fans and covered the mirrors and my house became a mew.

She actually loves this imprint much more than others I have had. I was getting updates all day on his progress. My wife is a teacher and claims he has ADHD. He won't stay in one spot for long. He will take off for something and then change his mind right as he gets there and veer off to another spot. He is killing imaginary birds all over the house now and constantly picking up things and dropping them. Yesterday, he landed on the world globe and walked around the world like it was a tread mill. . He eats on his own terms. I feed him at his nest basket like the parents would. He "homes" back to it often through the day eats a few bites from the sparrow carcass and then flies off and comes back and eats some more. Yesterday, he ate SIX sparrows! Blew my mind he could pack that many away but he is burning a ton of energy. In the evening he gets jumpy like all my imprints have done. Simple solution, I put his nest basket up higher and turn down the blinds and it darkens it enough that he just relaxes and calms down.

He sure is fun. I didn't like the idea of him learning his freedom but if I want to go with nature as a model for imprinting doing what I am doing is pretty close. Him flying back to the nest for food sleeping in it branching and learning to fly and land and veer around things. So maybe it's not the worst thing. Still, I he will have to have lessons in being tied up through out the day every so often. But he (and us!) are having so much fun and he is so entertaining to watch it's hard to tie him to a perch. He is especially imprinted to me and prefers I pick him up to all others in the house (my family is visiting) he will look at me and make content little cheeps. I sure do like this little guy.

P.S. It's snowing in July!
    Isaac

I tied him up yesterday. He's flying around too good now and I am worried he will pick up speed and crash into something. That and the slices everywhere in the house are getting too much LOL. I wish I had hardwood floors. He fought the leash for a few minutes this morning when first tied up but that was it. He jumped up into his basket and hasn't bated since. So things are going good on that front. I'm going to start feeding him sparrows on the glove and maybe offer some baggies soon and start some lure work soon.

Would I be crazy to just use a small bird carcass as lure? For these little guys it's easy to do. The minimalist approach is appealing. My sole method of retrieval for this little guy will be calling it to the fist anyway. That's what I am thinking anyway.
    Isaac

Isaac,

As you know a number of imprinted accipiters have suddenly started flying indoors and crashed into windows.

A dead sparrow on a line would be hard to resist...

Harry.

Giving him sparrows now. He went for them right away he knew they meant food. Probably totally unnecessary giving him baggies. I think the whole baggie thing is unnatural don't know why I am doing it but I am. Earlier training conditioning than necessary but there you have it.

On another note. I just heard from a friend that had a friend that had a male aplo die because he hit a window while in the car. So I won't be having my sharpie loose in the car. Never had a problem with the gos's or coopers in this scenario but I guess it can happen with smaller birds.

I'm training him to the GH as well. That's going good. Not much training. I put him in at night when he gets uncomfortable in the evening look for a safer place to roost and he just settles right down in the GH no fuss no nothing just easy as anything. No wonder people like these guys.

I talked to Brian on here with the other sharpie and he said for accipiters they are ever so alert of their surroundings. He was right. This bird is aware of everything that moves nothing escapes him. Tiny swallows coming in and out of view super high in the sky, leaves rustling, he is just much more aware of his surroundings compared to our other accipiters.
    Isaac

Very nice isaac cant wait to c him fly
    HAROLD JAMES II

Sounds like he is doing well Isaac. Looking forward to the hunting adventures. You apparently are getting better response that I was at that weight. Hope all continues to go well and we see some hunting photos soon on all these sharpie threads.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyc6 View Post
    Sounds like he is doing well Isaac. Looking forward to the hunting adventures. You apparently are getting better response that I was at that weight. Hope all continues to go well and we see some hunting photos soon on all these sharpie threads.
    He's hitting weight twice a day. So, he's getting two sparrow bags a day. Once in the early morning and then again in the early afternoon. He still has not cropped up to his fullest extent. He'll eat most of the sparrow on the fist and then when he's done and the legs are still left to eat he'll fly to his perch. So he's not seriously hungry, though he thinks he is LOL. He's catching them now with only three primaries pulled on both wings and they are too easy for him. I ordered the trackpack today so as soon as I get it I'll put it on him and we should be ready to go.
    Isaac

104gms killing baggies outside. Not on a creance anymore. A bit too heavy at 104 not trying to carry yet but typical baby bird stuff. Will be putting the track pack on here shortly. Have been using a merlin micro fmv on his tarsus but I really don't like it there. Bating less on his perch and quieting down unless I drop him again then he pipes up again. Tomorrow I will look for a sparrow filled field at 103gms and try our luck.

Very similar to Jeff's bird actually. He's still an accipiter for sure but just loads of fun. Now's the time I really need to get him keyed in to killing I've seen this stage with all my imprints. He's gamey for sure!
    Isaac

Sounds to me Isaac your about ready for the real fun to explode
    HAROLD JAMES II

Hey Isaac, it's just a matter of time!

If today is as good as the past couple days have been we will be ditching the creance also. I really can't wait for these birds to get in the field and see what full throttle looks like.
    Jeff

106gms with the track pack and micro transmitter included all weights from now on will include the transmitter and backpack. So naked weight I would say around 100gm. We finally hit a weight where he wasn't disturbed much by petty things. He actually chased a starling out the car window veered off and landed in a big old tree about 200 feet away. I called him back to the fist and he took awhile but came back so hard and fast and BODY SLAMMED the fist. He hit the fist so hard I was worried about him.

Got the backpack fitted the way I like now. I think/hope it's good. Really like the concept and placement of the backpack but wish I would have done more conditioning work with him in preparation for it and put it on earlier. I have noticed him being a bit leery of me now after putting it on but it's disappearing pretty fast thank goodness. Didn't help I had to do it twice to get a good fit.

His keel point is hard to find. He's butter ball fat and well conditioned and the keel point is just buried in muscle. Hard to find the tip of it for a good placement especially when he's so tiny.

His yarak pose seems to be fluffed up with eyes wide and bright and his tail fanned he rouses it often. Amazing one day scared and bating from semi's passing by while he's in the car, the next not even paying them attention. Weight control matters.
    Isaac

106gms yesterday. He grabbed a starling just as it took off yesterday and made it scream. The starling broke free mid air after it made a hard right turn. He went after it again but the bird escaped in the heavy weeds and brush. He was a bit high in weight, recall was slow, but rewards have always been good when he does come back so that keeps him hanging around. He finally did come and we hopped in the car and went home. We'll get one today I am sure. I've never bagged him on a starling so it's all new to him. Never even bagged him out the car window so it's all really new to him, but he's catching on.
    Isaac

sounds like you are making good progress with him. soon your freezer will be full of starlings
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Thread Information