Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life of an adult imprint

Maybe similar to where you are, it's too hot here in the summer to expect that birds at hack will spend any significant time on the wing during the mid-day. So in that respect, Im not inclined to think that the 4WW method offers any additional benefits over a standard tame hacked imprint in terms of flying ability/air time/exposure to predators/early attempts on quarry. And yes, I think for the 4WW approach, more than one youngster is pretty important. Imagine a lone youngster that doesn't view you as a parent - no real sense of home going on there. The quiet bird part..I don't know, my imprints are just pretty sweet birds and I am comfortable with the courtship vocalizations that they do. But I've never raised a tiercel Peale's....

Bob Ross makes everyone smile Tim. I have no skills with a paint brush.
    Tanner

Right, the true imprint bond, and taking them out round winged, develops fidelity to the area. Oliphant's have the entire cresche scene as a bond and feeding times... though an Austrian alps falconer tried one w/ a lone bird. He seems to think it was going great... bird was killed early on though.

Other than the time involved we choose w/ going the imprint route, a 100% pure tiercel peales, will make you question your methods . Again, very vocal and loud (umm the breeder does not do imprints unless of breeding only). As several can attest: I had the older brother for one day (18 days old) and told all my user group - he was going to be the noisiest imprint I have ever head. He lived up to billing. Hard wired.

Until this type, all my imprints were "reasonably" quiet. One of the best being a 38 oz Peales/Anatum cross (what a friggin' beast). But I love these tiercel peales. They have brought style and panache back to duck hawking (I'm a reluctant semi retired prairie chicken hawker) that I am already addicted to. As fun and thrilling as grouse hawking. Just looking for anything in the future to have my cake and eat it too w/ a quiet, well mannered one, and imprint can do attitude... and since our user group seemingly get smaller, I'll pick the brains of is who neck deep into imprints. Clearly Oliphant is going that way - knowing what imprint can do...maybe guys like us have been exploiting the 4WW all along? - constant thought while I was reading his 'book' (not much cost into printing, it's a spiral binder!), otherwise he would chamber or wild hack just like everyone else, no?

Tim

You are correct on Bob Ross, and universal blood pressure lower-er.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    You'll find that life with the imprint is much more casual in some ways, but infinitely more complex in other ways. The imprint comes with many facets that are more distinctive than with chamber raised or passage birds. The most obvious facet is that of tameness. The level of this is quite striking in some birds, particularly with the accipiters. But tameness doesn't go quite far enough to explain the depth of comfort, how at ease they are with just the day to day handling. It has almost nothing to do with weight either, they are just that at ease, that 'natural' in this captive environment they have been raised in.
    As the person that has raised it, you know basically the complete history of that bird, from when it stood up, to when it first gained lift with its wings, to when it makes it first attempts to kill prey items (and the not so much prey items that usually are their first focus). You see them learn about things to be wary of, such as those large, slow flying, Tarantula Hawk wasps that have a loud slow obvious flight with contrasting colors of black and orange (Warning...Danger Will Robinson), yet the young bird cannot stop its curiosity and follows through only to find the barb of the stinger, the searing pain, the swelling. How many does it take for you bird to learn from such incidents? Sometimes not more than once.
    When the bird ages, and sexual maturity comes on, a whole new subset of behaviors are introduced that cannot usually be denied with much success. Its part of the deal, you have to understand your role and deal with it. But once you do, you will have encouraged a bond that is almost unbreakable and often times hard for another to overcome. You will always be their first true infatuation, and they will recognize you in minutes after years of absence.
    On the good side, you will have their 'affection' which is interesting in itself. But, you can also draw their ire and aggressive side, which, due to the level of comfort, can result in some serious tantrums or dominance issues. You can run the entire gamut of their emotional side. You must always be aware that taking and raising an imprint means you are in a relationship, a serious in depth relationship.
    It is that last reference that really hits home when you have an imprint that you have nurtured and raised, perhaps for many years, but not always as the years have little to do with how you will feel, when there is a tragic death or illness. I believe that as falconers we do have to deal with loss and death, its part of this lifestyle. But, in many cases, I have seen grown men and women brought to tears and grieving to their core after the passing of a beloved imprint. I also believe that while you can grow attached to a passage bird or chamber raised eyas, the level of attachment to these is not the same. Its not that they aren't better birds or something like that, its just that the level of commitment and attachment is....shallower I guess. They are more like acquaintances, rather than like the relationship with a child you have raised, a family member or lifelong friend, which the imprint has more of that feel to them. I'm just saying, prepare yourself for that, it can and will be brutal.
    The sense of accomplishment you get from dealing with imprints though is quite rewarding. When you hatch out the first egg that you inseminated via artificial insemination, when you watch that bird grow and become a successful hunter, and all because of your relationship with its mother which you helped to shape into the bird she has become....its really something. I truly believe that it is only with the imprint that you truly understand what their lives are like, to the best of our ability anyway. With them what you see is what you get. They have no facade that you can see in birds that were raised in other ways. That also means that you can learn a lot about the mastery of manipulation, how decisively devious they actually may have to be to be a successful predator. You will learn to applaud their efforts even if you may cut them off at the pass so their efforts to manipulate you are effectively squashed. You will gain valuable insight that can help you with whatever style of raising you do in the future. For many, they absolutely refuse and should not have imprints for various reasons. But for those that can and do understand them, they have almost no choice but to continue to hone their skills with the imprint because anything else just won't do.
    Hello Pete, I read this well written piece by you the other night and had not yet gotten my account established, but I finished reading it and though I hope this guy writes a book! So have you? And if not, WHY? You write very well and I would be one for a copy of anything you wrote for the ease of reading and your passion that so oozes from your words. Thanks from a new guy who knows next to nothing about imprints or the process.

Ed Peterman

Yeah, Pete. I just came across this for the first time...very nicely said, man. I could relate to every word.
    Tom Gagne- Don't panic.

Quote Originally Posted by CC_NV_NEWB View Post
    Hello Pete, I read this well written piece by you the other night and had not yet gotten my account established, but I finished reading it and though I hope this guy writes a book! So have you? And if not, WHY? You write very well and I would be one for a copy of anything you wrote for the ease of reading and your passion that so oozes from your words. Thanks from a new guy who knows next to nothing about imprints or the process.

Ed Peterman
    I appreciate the kudos Ed and Tom.
    Ed, I have not written a book and while I have been asked about doing it many times, I just am not sure if I have anything different to say than some that have come before me? I have written several articles over the years which can be found in various places such as NAFA Journals, Hawk Chalks, American Falconry and most recently in The Falconer which is the British Falconry Club Journal. All of these articles except the most recent are about imprints in various aspects, flying, breeding, etc.. You sound as though you are just beginning your lifelong trek into this lifestyle and as such I am sure at some point you will come across these in your readings, as most people consume falconry and all parts of it like it is either their first taste or potentially their last. The article I am most proud of I think was one in American Falconry called "The Dove Hunting Falcons: Some Important Considerations". (Sorry I can't find the citation at the moment) You might enjoy that article if you can access it somehow.
    Enjoy NAFEX, there are some good people are here with a wealth of knowledge which they will impart to others, asking nothing in return.
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    "The Dove Hunting Falcons: Some Important Considerations". (Sorry I can't find the citation at the moment) You might enjoy that article if you can access it somehow.
    American Falconry, Vol 19 (June 2000), pages 22-33.

Pete, you'd have at least one sale, and maybe a cover artist for a book about imprints (that's not all about gyrs)... there is possibly a new thirst for imprint knowledge/insight since they are so out of fashion these days in a "sea" of chamber raised birds.

Here's a bird I did recently, a little bigger than a barbary though:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Jessell View Post

Tim,

That's amazing work. Do you have prints of that available?
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Jessell View Post
    American Falconry, Vol 19 (June 2000), pages 22-33.

Pete, you'd have at least one sale, and maybe a cover artist for a book about imprints (that's not all about gyrs)... there is possibly a new thirst for imprint knowledge/insight since they are so out of fashion these days in a "sea" of chamber raised birds.

Here's a bird I did recently, a little bigger than a barbary though:

Thanks for finding the citation Tim. And that's some cool stuff right there…well done!!
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    Tim,

That's amazing work. Do you have prints of that available?
    Thanks, Geoff and Pete. Kind of a sore subject, Geoff... I am struggling to get a quote(weeks now!) from my giclee print supplier so I can then know my hard costs and then, yes, put together a print selling page on my site. http://timjessell.com

You've motivated me to hound him... again (only local source).

Shameless plug: here's my books page. http://timjessell.com/books/index.html Folks here may be interested in my "Falcon" picture book for Christmas gifts(click on the cover) published by Random House (available on Amazon, book stores, etc.)

Thats really cool Tim - lots of neat ideas going on there. I dont recognize te tailmount- Marshall?
    Tanner

Yes, Tanner. It really puts the "tail" in tailmount.

Thread Information