I drove up to Lake topaz yesterday and did a little reconnaissance in advance of the CHC meet in January. It is a 2 hour drive each way so I did not have a lot of time, but I did see a cottontail right next to the road going to the lake. I saw what I am confidant was a Passage Golden Eagle flying over the same area. We walked around a small lake near there on the California side and there were only 3 ducks and no rabbits. I realize that is is summer and it will look different in the winter, but gun hunting is allowed there, so I suspected that is a factor in the lack of game. when we got around the back of the lake we saw a huge nest in the top of a ponderosa pine. There was a Juvenile but we were unable to identify it until the parent came back. Bald Eagle! That may be a reason for the scarcity of game perhaps. We found the other parent further around the lake on the ground, but I could not tell if it caught something. I tried to locate the area that he was sitting, but I never saw fur or feather, so either he picked up whatever it was intact or it was just sitting on the ground.

I was hoping to avoid getting a Nevada hunting license, but the only decent spots we found are on the Nevada side.

Is anybody from the forum going this year? I saw a few of you at the last meet.