Thread: Hello from Gainesville!

Default Hello from Gainesville!

Hi all! We recently took on a non-releasable (gunshot wound left her with a partial wing amputation) red-shouldered hawk for education purposes. I'm here to get ideas on training, as she is proving very wily . Looking forward to reading more!

This site is great: www.themodernapprentice.com Good luck. RS's can be really challenging.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

Default Hello from Gainesville!

Thanks Hawkmom! I have looked through that site many times, it's a good resource for sure. Our hawk will hopefully be used for small education programs in the future, and right now we are just working on basics. She is free-lofted in a large mew and willingly steps up on a glove with no reinforcement other than verbal. We are getting her used to jesses - she pretty much hates them right now. My biggest issue currently is getting her to take food from me so we can start OC. She loves her mice, hates pretty much everything else so far. But she won't eat it from me, just will eat it when I'm in the same room (progress!), so I'm continuing to work with her each day. Looking forward to learning more!

Thread Information