15 days old - 270g

I'm starting to wonder if my boy is actually a girl!

Sherlock has about an inch of feather showing on his primaries as of today, and he's been more actively flapping them in a puff of down. I left some food in his dish with some water for hydration overnight, and when I woke up this morning half was gone and the other half was scattered around his dish so at least he's trying! I gave him three meals today at 8am, 1pm, and 6pm, and I'll feed him until he's full late tonight before bed. He's been doing pretty well with the hand feeding so far. He did get excited a few times and try to chase the dish, but when he did that I mantled over it like a sibling. When he lost interest, I clicked and gave him a tidbit. For his afternoon meal, I set half of an opened quail in front of him and put a few loose tidbits on it to see how he would react. Sherlock chirped and nibbled at it a few times, managed to get one of the loose pieces first. He put a limp foot on the quail and nibbled the wing then looked up at me confused. He bit the wing again, I clicked, rewarded, he nibbled the body, click, reward, repeat until he was done.

It was a gorgeous day so we spent most of the afternoon outside under a tree. His nest box is pretty shallow, so a few times Sherlock got really curious and scrabbled out of it to wander a few feet, flap his wings, and cuddle up to me. He shredded a flower and footed a few leaves and his lure a few times but then looked confused like "what did I just do with my feets?" After an hour he'd climb back into his box, but an hour later he'd crawl right back out again.

He also spent some time on the couch this morning, and he would seek out a leg or a dog to flop and preen against. One of the dogs actually started to gently lick the leftover meat from his face, but Sherlock just continued to preen without a care. I'm loving how tame he is right now. He was mobbed by some children and a dog yesterday who tickled, patted, bumped, and buried him under his pine needles. He practically fell asleep.

So far so good!