Thread: Hello from the Chicago burbs

Smile Hello from the Chicago burbs

My wife and I are wanna be falconers living in New Lenox, il. We have been reading everything and taking the kids to find all the local red tails we can find in the event we can get a sponsor soon.
    Mark W, GLFA

I think you'll like it here. Welcome to the party. There should be some one in your general vicinity,
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    I think you'll like it here. Welcome to the party. There should be some one in your general vicinity,
    Yes there is at least one. My wife and I met him and his wife for breakfast. He then let us see his falcon and setup. It was awesome.
    Mark W, GLFA

Welcome Mark! Make sure you look into local clubs for more help on getting started. Lots of information and help is available if you are truly ready to dedicate yourself to this life. Good luck!
    Funny but true - I have a cousin who lives in the Chicago area married to a guy named Mark White!
    Emily Huf - West Bend, WI

Yes I am a member of NAFA and GLFA now. We traded in the bmw for a Jeep wrangler setup for off-roading this weekend and we spend our free time reading falconry publications and looking for hawks in the area. I was actually able to walk up to about 8 feet on an adult red tail that was hanging out on the ground the other day and get pictures. I have have located 2 separate pairs (not sure if they are breeding pairs or mother and child yet) of red tails recently and several individuals. All I need now is to pass the exam and get a sponsor for the wife and I. I just hope its possible to do it before trapping season ends this year. It helps when the wife is into as much as I am.
    Mark W, GLFA

welcome Mark! I was just in Chicago a couple ago. l ran a half marathon. yes I agree that things are easier if you and your wife are in agreement. good luck. if you guys both passed your test and find a sponsor and pass inspection. i ithink it is possible for both of you to get birds.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

I think in the future it would be sweet to both have a harris hawk as they like to hunt in groups, but for our apprenticeship period I have been told it would be better to stick with a single red tail and both work with it.

It does bring to mind a question I have been pondering. I wonder how many of you have tried to man a single bird with a spouse. I am curious if it will work as long as we are very strict on the training regimen and doing the same techniques and commands, etc. Maybe taking turns on hunting trips as well.
    Mark W, GLFA

I am not sure about other states, but here in Wisconsin I am pretty sure that wouldn't work. I believe each person needs to catch and train their own bird for the apprenticeship to count. When we re-did our regulations, we had some clarifications done as there was some question as to how much time during the minimum two years of apprenticeship you needed to have a bird (intermew versus release etc.). It now reads that apprentices are required to maintain, train, and hunt their birds for a minimum of 4 months in each year of their apprenticeship. I will have to check and see if it says anything specifically about sharing birds.
    Emily Huf - West Bend, WI

Hmmm. That would be interesting. I think I will have to expand our mews plan
    Mark W, GLFA

I agree with Emily. here in Michigan you need to each have your own birds in order for it to count on your time as an apprentice.
    yes you may want to make a double mew for you and your wife's birds.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

I think that's really cool that both of you are going to get into falconry, and can you imagine the enjoyment and learning you will get out of each of you having your own bird? When one is done hunting, you just go get the other one and head back out to the field . Enjoy the idea of having two birds IMO, I know I would!
    Chris Karraker
    "Haaawwwk."

Yeah its cool to have a wife that is into it as much as she is. I hope to have atleast one red tail female before the trapping season ends, but two would be sweet!
    Mark W, GLFA

Mark, to you and your wife! How cool that you are both interested in becoming falconers! Many good times ahead. Enjoy!!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thanks! thats probably why we have been married all of our adult lives We agree when it matters!
    Mark W, GLFA

I was able to assist in the unboxing, if you will, of my sponsors gyr-peregrine hybrid last night. It was truly an awesome thing to experience.
    Mark W, GLFA

Default Glfa picnic

Is anyone going to the Glfa picnic? I notice that the invite says bring a falconry item. What type of thing should I bring? Thanks.
    Mark W, GLFA

What day is it? Is it still planned for next Saturday? I haven't received an invite yet.
    Michael Cogar

Yeah the details on on the main website and not in the event details.
    Mark W, GLFA

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick976 View Post
    I think in the future it would be sweet to both have a harris hawk as they like to hunt in groups, but for our apprenticeship period I have been told it would be better to stick with a single red tail and both work with it.

It does bring to mind a question I have been pondering. I wonder how many of you have tried to man a single bird with a spouse. I am curious if it will work as long as we are very strict on the training regimen and doing the same techniques and commands, etc. Maybe taking turns on hunting trips as well.
    My wife and I are both 2nd year apprentices and so glad that she is all on board. And we both have our own RT's. once you get a bird it is so much fun you don't wanna share. LOL. But there is a lot of enjoyment watching her and her bird work together.
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

The wife is leaning towards a kestrel at this point, but the new regs are coming to Illinois, so it may open so either options too. Of course we know all of the issues with kestrels, so we will see. :0)
    Mark W, GLFA

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick976 View Post
    The wife is leaning towards a kestrel at this point, but the new regs are coming to Illinois, so it may open so either options too. Of course we know all of the issues with kestrels, so we will see. :0)
    what issues with kestrels? just curious.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

I personally think it would be fun to have a kestrel. It just seems that every piece of literature I read discourages it for apprentices. Due to the relative high maintenance as a result of weight control and also the dangers posed by bigger raptors being in the area when on a hunt.
    Mark W, GLFA

I started with a kestrel. yes there are risks involved...a little more than with a big bird. I did loose my first bird to a coopers hawk. there are risks with any bird you choose to fly. flying a kestrel will depend on your commitment and attention to details. maintenance of a kestrel I feel is exactly the same as maintaining a big bird. it's just everything you do is smaller. flying a kestrel as a first bird will also depends on your sponsors experience. I would suggest if she is seriously thinking on flying a kestrel is to make sure that your sponsor have flown them or at least someone that can help your wife with the bird. JMO.
    love the little guys.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Thank you for the thoughts. I know where a pair are at the moment, so it may be an option if I can pass the exam this week :0)
    Mark W, GLFA

good luck!
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Well after being convinced I had failed the exam yesterday I received the call that I scored an 85 :o) I figured I guessed on about 15 questions and it appears I was close to right! I guess it comes down to the area you focus on for studying and I apparently picked the wrong ones to memorize :o)
    Mark W, GLFA

Thread Information